Can anyone let me borrow a bicycle
cargo
Unregistered

Can anyone let me borrow a bicycle
Enough of serious stuff for a while.................

I've spent a lot of time recently on something very much like this

[Image: 6901.jpg]

believe me it's extremely hard work.

But I'd like to borrow something like this

[Image: prod_2197.jpg]

Given our passion for things early morning I want to get up on Monday or Wednesday morning of practise week and see if I can manage a lap of the course on a bike before breakfast (maybe lunch would be a better target) But I've not got the bike and I'll not have room in the van to bring one
So would anyone on the IOM be able to let me borrow one ?

And I don't want some old delivery bike made of cast iron something a little bit racier would be very nice.

I believe its downhill from the Brandywell but getting there could be tough.

Also does anyone know what is a reasonable time for a lap of the course on a bicycle. I'll double the figure to give me an estimate of what I might expect to do.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2008, 03:02 PM by Malcolm.)
01-08-2008, 11:47 AM
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
RE: Can anyone let be borrow a bicycle
Hi Cargo, I do the lap for the Helicopter fund every year, you may have seen the poster on the toilet block wall. If you want to join me let me know i am in C4. My fastest on a mountain bike is 2hrs 50 mins. i would like to do it on a road bike, but like you only have room for one, and the mountain bike is the one that can be left out if needed. I ve raised over £1200 in the last four years. See you at the manx. Maybe you could blag two road bikes from the bike shop near Padgetts?
01-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I have indeed seen that poster and well done that man. smilie

If no one comes up with a bike for me I'll try that shop.

I'm only really doing this to try and keep my training ticking over while we're on the IOM if anyone wants to sponsor me in someway that would be fine and of course it'll all go to the Supporters Club.

When you say you've done it in 2 hours 50 are you a serious bike rider like do you ride one regulary ?

I'd be delighted to get round in anything like that time. I was hoping to start at sunrise just like early morning practise and get back without losing to much of the day.
01-08-2008, 01:16 PM
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
Hi Cargo, i try to go out most days for an hour, and longer on sunday if poss. iam not one of those who go out all day, time too short on a sunday. The secret to getting round without killing yourself is at least do some hill work. After the pull up to the goose neck,you think the worst is over, but for me its when you are at gutheries and you can see the stone breakers hut in the distance, at it seems to take for ever to get there.
01-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I'm on one of those spin bikes at least 3 times a week for 45-60 mins at a time most of it is with very high resistance ( very steep hill)

I'm also doing curcuit training, running and some weights...........Fitness wise I think I can get round for a lap............................however

I've not ridden a bike on the road for years smilie
01-08-2008, 01:50 PM
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
RE: Can anyone let me borrow a bicycle
Judging from the picture I would give this one a miss and go for one that actually has peddles it might help you alot .... lol
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2008, 05:57 PM by DCLUCIE.)
01-08-2008, 05:56 PM
Find Reply
Barry Wood Offline

Threads: 5
Your efforts are very much appreciated over the years Mal. Look forward to catching up with you in the paddock.
Just to totally demoralise you Cargo, on 27th June, 1929, the Bicycle TT was won by a Manxman S.R. Taggart who set a new record for the course in 1 hour, 57 minutes and 36 secs Tongue
I first did it in my summer holidays in 1975 on a 3-speed Raleigh Hustler, we went round backwards but took most of the day, no rush then. My partner for the ride was Brian Christian, later known to many racers as the plaster man at Nobles Hospital for many years.
Amazingly I managed the complete lap without falling off! But on a later lap around the course by pushbike, one of my mates left his bike on the tram-lines at the Bungalow while he went in for a bottle of pop, and the tram ran over the wheel, rendering his "retirement" at The Bungalow, requesting picking-up smilie
In this country, it is customary to offer generous gratuities to taxi drivers
01-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
Barry Wood Wrote:we went round backwards

Conjures up a most interesting mental picture, that.

Which direction were you facing, Barry??

smilie smilie smilie
01-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=23896
an example for you, Cargo... or...
http://www.manxradio.com/readNEwsItem.aspx?id=23912

Whew.... think I'll have a wee lie down after reading that..
02-08-2008, 05:09 PM
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
larryd Wrote:
Barry Wood Wrote:we went round backwards

Conjures up a most interesting mental picture, that.

Which direction were you facing, Barry??

smilie smilie smilie

Some say he was doing that in his last years racing smilie smilie smilie smilie

Sorry Badger .....
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
07-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Find Reply