More visitors for the MGP
thewitch
Unregistered

More visitors for the MGP
10-09-2008, 08:04 AM
cargo
Unregistered

RE: More visitors for the MGP
Funny that Rolleyes according to some the DTL, MHK, MMCC, TTMA and just about everyone else involved are making a complete mess of the whole Island ecomomy...................

Yet still the visitors roll in Yahoo
10-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Carole Offline
Multi tasker

Threads: 4
Average of £400 spend per visitor times 29000 visitors equals £11,600,000.00 gross income to the Island- a bit hard to believe that the Manx GP does nothing for the Island economy, as claimed in the Roads Chaos thread on the Manx online site.

However, in my opinion, money well spent Smile.
Life's too short- live it to the max and enjoy yourselves
10-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Website Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

2000 x 400 = 800,000 extra this year, apparently.smilie

Maybe it was the 2000 extra people stuck at QB, causing the jam smilie smilie

and, of course, raising the swingbridge a couple of times during that busy period had no effect smilie
10-09-2008, 01:01 PM
thewitch
Unregistered

Steam Packet release Manx Grand Prix figures

STEAM Packet passenger figures suggest the Manx Grand Prix is still growing in popularity.
Figures just released show 29,138 people sailed to and from the Isle of Man during this year's two-week event, beating 28,905 passengers in 2007 and 26,527 in 2006.

The number of vehicles carried during the 2008 MGP, a total of 8,786, was slightly lower than in 2007 (8,867) but better than in 2006 (7,940).

Although there were more four-wheeled vehicles this year than last (5,626 compared with 5,574) there were less motorcycles (3,160 compared to 3,293).

Steam Packet chief executive Mark Woodward said that, although the 2007 and 2008 figures are close, this year showed a 'substantial increase' in ferry passengers and vehicles compared to 2006.

Mr Woodward said it would have been 'almost impossible' to match the number of bikes carried in 2007, as these would have been boosted by the Centenary TT.

But the number of bikes carried during the 2008 MGP is up 18 per cent on 2006 and has now doubled from the number carried 10 years ago.

Mr Woodward added: 'This year's Manx Grand Prix was a great success. We were proud to sponsor the senior race and give our congratulations to the all the organisers and competitors.'
10-09-2008, 02:11 PM
arzed Offline

Threads: 9
Looking at the figures given and seeing how much the SPC takes in extra fares at MGP time I personally do not think the MGP is in any danger of being ditched as some of the doom-mongers are trying to spread around. If the SPC has the Manx authorities by the "shorts" as everyone is saying can you see them allowing the MGP to be stopped and losing all that extra money? I can't smilie
10-09-2008, 04:30 PM
Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
I don't want to sound negative, but the realist (ok, cynic) in me is wondering how many folks came by Steam Racket as a result of the demise of EuroManx?

Would they have flown instead of coming by sea?

How are the overall figures looking - including air travel to/from the Island?

I hope the totals are up, but would like some numbers to play with.
....scone out to take photos!
10-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
boakesey Wrote:I don't want to sound negative, but the realist (ok, cynic) in me is wondering how many folks came by Steam Racket as a result of the demise of EuroManx?

Would they have flown instead of coming by sea?

How are the overall figures looking - including air travel to/from the Island?

I hope the totals are up, but would like some numbers to play with.

Surely now is the time for SPC to offer bigger discounts to the riders. No riders no event
11-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Find Reply
thewitch
Unregistered

Not sure so many would have been Euromanx... plenty time to rebook, and both Manx2 and Flymaybe seem to have been busy... the airport was teeming every time I passed.
11-09-2008, 12:04 PM
boakesey Away

thewitch Wrote:Not sure so many would have been Euromanx... plenty time to rebook, and both Manx2 and Flymaybe seem to have been busy... the airport was teeming every time I passed.

Fair comment, Helen.
I must admit that since moving up here from Port Erin, where I was right underneath the approach to Ronaldsway, I'm completely out of touch with how things are are the airport.
Must get a Ronaldsway webcam sorted, methinks.....
B
11-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
In the Manx Indy-0.8% increase in Air passengers for August. Quote by Airport Director Ann Reynolds-that August's figures showed the airport's second busiest month this year, despite Euromanx's closure in May..............
11-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Find Reply
boakesey Away

chris Wrote:In the Manx Indy-0.8% increase in Air passengers for August. Quote by Airport Director Ann Reynolds-that August's figures showed the airport's second busiest month this year, despite Euromanx's closure in May..............

Oh good, I'm glad my concerns were unwarranted.

Perhaps it's the lousy weather that's made me (& a few others) so cynical and fed up.

Still today is "wear a loud shirt" day, so that should cheers everyone up, as well as raise money for yet another good cause - IoM Hospice.
12-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Hi All..!!

Another good thread..!! Keep in mind there was an increase in BIKES, those bikes are not going to be flown in...!

And if you want to know why the increase this year..?? (well part of it for sure)... is the BSA Group for the very first time in 50 years, held their International Rally on the IOM..!! See this article...

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/BSA-motor...4416542.jp

OK, so now is a GREAT laugh for you all, at the expense of some of my fellow Yanks... Some of the Yanks that came over with their bikes, had NO WETS with them..!! They had jeans and t shirts and tennis shoes..!!! They did get a nice daily sample of Manx Mud..!! (as did many of the racers camped in the pits...).

Cheers..!!! See you next year..!!!

Ron - I will need my fix of a morning BAP in the pits, the afternoon Beef Sandwich in the pits, and of course some of the fine pints all around the Island..... darn I have to wait about 50 weeks to do this again...!!
12-09-2008, 08:57 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
Would be interesting to know how many people with the BSA's went to the Island. Many were carrying pillions. What a gathering it was and wonderful to see. BSA's of all types Everywhere!!
14-09-2008, 12:02 AM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
What a gathering it was and wonderful to see. BSA's of all types Everywhere!!

[Image: DSCN0179.jpg]

This was the gathering at Laxey

Pity about the weather, their campsite at Glen Lough resembled Glastonbury at its worst!
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
(This post was last modified: 14-09-2008, 08:39 AM by Bill Snelling.)
14-09-2008, 08:39 AM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
smilie There were something like over 500 people registered for the BSA Rally (a new record for them). And they had a confirmed Guiness World Record number of BSA's in one place at the same time documented..!

I have heard or read from a bunch of those people, that they had a great time, and would come back to the MGP again..! Good people do not let a little water dampen their spirits..!

The only issue the organizers had, was that there was no where big enough to hold their dinner-dance, so they did it under one big tent at the camp site, Vs a nice catered event at in a ballroom setting.

As a thought, I know that other Classic Marques also do events on the Isle, perhaps someone should contact the Norton Owner's Club, Ducati (Vintage) Owner's Club, etc, and try to get them to do a large meeting as well. This would take a little preparation, but worth it... If there were two (or three) good sized groups each year, that could be another 1,000 people... it all adds up.

One thing I do know, is that if you bring new people to the IOM / MGP, most want to and do return again..!

Cheers..!!

Ron..!! - what like 48 more weeks until I next come to the IOM..
14-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Find Reply