Another poser
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
Another poser
We think the name should be Johnson - any ideas?

[Image: johnson.jpg]
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
14-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Another poser
Bill Snelling Wrote:We think the name should be Johnson - any ideas?

First thought is that it's a Tinkler, on Reserve Plate E, out of Ramsey Hairpin.

I'll be back!
14-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Quote:First thought is that it's a Tinkler, on Reserve Plate E, out of Ramsey Hairpin.

I'll be back!

I had the same thought, I am sure Larry will be back with the answer as soon as he rummages through the attic!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
(This post was last modified: 15-10-2008, 05:12 PM by Malcolm.)
14-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Attic..................

More like front room or library.

He'll get it he always does Yahoo
14-10-2008, 03:53 PM
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
Good one Bill.

It's 1927, and there were two full weeks of practice, starting Monday June 6th.

Almond Tinkler had been working night and day for several months to build this unique machine, and while he arrived on the Island on the Wednesday of the first week, the bike was incomplete and was finished in a garage "hanging on the cliff of Laxey Bay", according to "The Motor Cycle".

It didn't appear at all that week.

Monday of the second week, "not very fast". Seized near Sulby (leaking rad.) but completed one lap, at well over the hour.

Tuesday, out again. One slow lap with steaming radiator, started another after filling with water, but ran out of time.

Wednesday, again one lap, again over the hour. Well short of qualifying.

The two Tinkler brothers had been working all but 24 hour days, and exhaustion was setting in.

Thursday saw a lap at 51 minutes, still outside qualifying time, and while not steaming, much oil smoke was reported.

Not seen on Friday, but Almond Tinkler had been seen by the doctor, who forbade him to ride any more.

Saturday, the last practice day, saw one lap, again well over the hour.

Entry was scratched.

Since the two brothers were there, and although neither "Motor Cycling" nor "The Motor Cycle" report it being out under Reserve plates, I think that the rider shown bears a distinct resemblance to Almond Tinkler, and I would guess that it's the brother out on the last practice day making one last effort to qualify.

The Keig static paddock shots are reliable, but I reckon that in this case they got it wrong with "Johson" or whatever!!

And that is the best I can do!!!

Smile
22-10-2008, 10:10 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

larryd Wrote:the bike was incomplete and was finished in a garage "hanging on the cliff of Laxey Bay", according to "The Motor Cycle".Smile
This garage is at the top of Old Laxey Hill, next to where Sidecar TT winner George Tucker used to live, we get our bio-diesel from there. George Tucker's widow gave his medals away to local kids many years ago, wonder if any are sculling around Laxey these days

The engine was 79mm x 100mm, same as the Norton
22-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Website Find Reply
TerryJ Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
This is Almond Tinkler riding the Tinkler Special. I worked for The Langham Engineering Company Ltd and the Bike was in the workshop at Langham Street.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2016, 10:45 PM by TerryJ.)
08-11-2016, 10:37 PM
Find Reply
TerryJ Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
(22-10-2008, 10:10 PM)larryd Wrote: Good one Bill.

It's 1927, and there were two full weeks of practice, starting Monday June 6th.

Almond Tinkler had been working night and day for several months to build this unique machine, and while he arrived on the Island on the Wednesday of the first week, the bike was incomplete and was finished in a garage "hanging on the cliff of Laxey Bay", according to "The Motor Cycle".

It didn't appear at all that week.

Monday of the second week, "not very fast". Seized near Sulby (leaking rad.) but completed one lap, at well over the hour.

Tuesday, out again. One slow lap with steaming radiator, started another after filling with water, but ran out of time.

Wednesday, again one lap, again over the hour. Well short of qualifying.

The two Tinkler brothers had been working all but 24 hour days, and exhaustion was setting in.

Thursday saw a lap at 51 minutes, still outside qualifying time, and while not steaming, much oil smoke was reported.

Not seen on Friday, but Almond Tinkler had been seen by the doctor, who forbade him to ride any more.

Saturday, the last practice day, saw one lap, again well over the hour.

Entry was scratched.

Since the two brothers were there, and although neither "Motor Cycling" nor "The Motor Cycle" report it being out under Reserve plates, I think that the rider shown bears a distinct resemblance to Almond Tinkler, and I would guess that it's the brother out on the last practice day making one last effort to qualify.

The Keig static paddock shots are reliable, but I reckon that in this case they got it wrong with "Johson" or whatever!!

And that is the best I can do!!!

:)

This is Almond Tinkler, his brother Brian was short with a hunch back and deformed hands.
08-11-2016, 10:54 PM
Find Reply