Halker Hall
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
Halker Hall
Hi All,

Just returned from a trip to the lake district, please don't ask.... but I managed to get my bike and car fix at Halker Hall. Told the missus that the gardens were great and they had hand made sweets, this put up against the famous pencil factory obviously swung it in the direction of the Hall trip. We made it there early as I announced to the good lady that ' oh have a look at that, they have a motor museum', ....... yes the game was up. The look on her face said it all. But I have to say even she enjoyed it. Its a great place and has some great machines from years gone by. I was in heaven.

After about two hours looking around and gawping at the bits and pieces left in the open garage area next to a Model T ford which was in the process of being restored, she turned around and said the look on my face was well worth missing the pencil factory for. The number of bikes and cars fully restored and on loan from all and sundry was great I fully recommend this place.

I will put some photo's on here if I can get a moment and if Cargo can help me out. Manx Norton's, Villiers, Vincents, Douglas and all, even a handy gadget you can put on your normal bicycle and run it on an engine, one was made by BSA. Sorry forgot what it was called but will get my guide out later and see if I can find it, or maybe Larry can help out..... lol

So if you can get there go, Joey's 125 was there and also Barry Sheene's Suzuki, but less said about that the better..... Big Grin
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
(This post was last modified: 20-10-2008, 09:01 PM by DCLUCIE.)
20-10-2008, 08:59 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

RE: Halker Hall
Mail them to me Dave................I'll post em for you............

Can I suggest that you bring her indoors here we have a great Folk muesum...................

with a transport museum tagged on for good measure
20-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Mr B Offline

Threads: 3
Be quick if you want to go there...I've been told that they are closing the motor museum for good after this season. Haven't heard what's going to happen to the exhibits - maybe they will re-locate them. Oh, and it's spelt Holker if you want to look for it on the world wide wait.
(This post was last modified: 21-10-2008, 09:56 AM by Mr B.)
21-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
The BSA cycle attachement
The BSA bolt-on engine was called the Winged Wheel, but not by those who bought one!
Nearly as bad as the Vincent Firefly!
Another monument to the British motorcycle industry
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
21-10-2008, 10:03 AM
Website Find Reply
Mr B Offline

It seems they won't be closing until next October...

"The Museum is due to leave Holker, but that has now been put back a year, so we will now close at the end of October 2009. We have a new site, and having received planning permission are now finalising detail design, awaiting building control approval and planning the build process. The new site is in a village called Backbarrow, close to Newby Bridge, at the southern end of Lake Windermere. All being well we intend to re-open in time for Easter 2010."
21-10-2008, 01:52 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Just a bit extra to Mr B's post, the reason behind the move is to include the Donald Campbell boat that is currently being restored that was found and recovered from the bottom of the lake.. Sorry for the miss spelling, but I have to say its a great place. Definitely one to go and see. I am sure Mr B would agree
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
21-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Find Reply
Mr B Offline

DCLUCIE Wrote:Just a bit extra to Mr B's post, the reason behind the move is to include the Donald Campbell boat that is currently being restored that was found and recovered from the bottom of the lake.. Sorry for the miss spelling, but I have to say its a great place. Definitely one to go and see. I am sure Mr B would agree

Absolutely, it's a little gem with a surprise around every corner. Go and see it while you can.
21-10-2008, 09:20 PM
Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1
RE: The BSA cycle attachement
Bill Snelling Wrote:The BSA bolt-on engine was called the Winged Wheel, but not by those who bought one!
Nearly as bad as the Vincent Firefly!
Another monument to the British motorcycle industry

Hmmm, I had the 32cc Cyclemaster in 1956 (Originally a 1951 25cc with the BIG barrel and pistonYahoo). I became very proficient at cleaning or changing plugs and decoking it by the roadside, running on a 16:1 petroil mixture using "Castrolite".
Funny, but I always thought that I fancied the Vincent Firefly until Bill's above remark.smilie
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
22-10-2008, 02:21 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

If these two work I will post more in the Pictures section if anyone wants to see more

[Image: IMG_0176.jpg]

[Image: Camera1142.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 27-10-2008, 09:01 PM by DCLUCIE.)
27-10-2008, 09:00 PM
Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
Following the recommendations posted here, and having my Welsh trip washed out by bad weather, I decided to head off up the M6 and see it for myself.

Here's one of the results:

[Image: joeysatholkerpi5.jpg]
[Image: w426.png]

I'd like to endorse all the other views and say that Holker is a wonderful place - and not just for the Motor Museum! The house and gardens are also well worth the journey and I'll definitely be going back again for another looksee.

Thanks for the tip off about such a great attraction!
....scone out to take photos!
01-11-2008, 11:33 AM
Find Reply
GREEBA#94 Offline

Threads: 11
I have lived 15/20 mins away from Holker Hall for 46 years and never knew what was in there. I always thought the place was just one big garden display.
Going to drag my son down there Sunday morning. Thanks for bringing this to light.

Greeba#94
01-11-2008, 12:00 PM
Find Reply