Steam Racket killing TT
tommy gunn Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 2
Steam Racket killing TT
Just got my final invoice for my ferry to the TT next year........£204 for me and bike....Robbing b******s!
Think this could be my last visit to the Island at those prices.
Booked for NW200 in May. £79 return.
I foresee a large increase in the Irish economy.
I'm sure I won't be the only fan of pure road racing that forsakes the IOM for the Emerald Isle.
So in future it will be The NW200, The Skerries and The Ulster GP, on a purely financial basis.
Well done to the Steam Racket for killing the TT
27-11-2008, 02:21 PM
Find Reply
go big fan Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
RE: Steam Racket killing TT
steam racket-- SUCKS!!!-- £154 for a foot passenger, 2010 will be
ireland for me aswell.
27-11-2008, 02:30 PM
Find Reply
T-M Offline

I don't know how long the IoM government can continue to turn a blind eye to the cost of travel to and from the Island!

They really seem to just bury their heads in the sand when these important issues are raised.

I was going to attend the bike show at the NEC today. Booking last week would cost me £294 day return to Birmingham with Eastern airways and £196 day return to Liverpool plus hire car. I am therefore going to miss the show!

Their answer is 'book earlier'! What a laugh, they think you can organise your whole life around them!!
Flybe have done away with all the frills of flying and still charge extra above these extortionate prices for non hand luggage, pre-booking a seat etc. They seem to make up taxes and surcharges over and above the advertised fare price and there is no transparency whatsoever!!
The Steam Packet and the airlines are supposed to be providing a vital service to an offshore island. It's time the IoM Government took control of it's own destiny instead of handing it over to companies which use us to grossly inflate their profit margin as we have no choice in the matter!!!
27-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Find Reply
Kev Brown Offline

Threads: 11
For the MGP this year I sailed in on Wednesday of practice week and sailed home on Thursday of race week me and bike £98,the lad who was camping next to me sailed in on the Thursday of practice week and home on same boat as me and it cost him nearly £200.
I have looked into going 2009 but all the website offers is to put down a £20 deposit and pay up when they make up their mind how much it's going to be.
I will wait until all prices are sorted and then pick sailings which save loads of money.
They have us over a barrel it's use them or do not go.
27-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Frankly I'm scared at what me and my car will cost in 2009.........But I'm still coming !! I'll cut down on the beer and food ! (Oh Yes !)
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 27-11-2008, 06:05 PM by ian huntly.)
27-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
Sorted the Steam Packet out years ago - tore the return ticket up!
Bought my first house on the savings from coming over 3 times a year - plus you get the bonus of our wonderful winter weather - took the dog for a wander at Windy Corner today, don't anybody query why it was so named!
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
27-11-2008, 06:47 PM
Website Find Reply
Mr B Offline

Threads: 3
That's it for me too, I'm afraid. Been coming over for what would have been 38 years next year, but as they say on Dragon's Den when the sums just don't add up - "Sorry, I'm out!"
(This post was last modified: 27-11-2008, 08:20 PM by Mr B.)
27-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
Its the annual event
Guess the Racket invoice!

I am dreading it too

It wont be a case of deciding to stop, as a pensioner, I probably cant justify it NEXT year

But lets wait and see

It will be a sad day after 41 years
MV
27-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Website Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
Bet you lot if went to Ireland north or south you will go back as value for money you cant beat it, and by the way i am not anti tt as i visited the tt mgp and s100 for years but as you have said on here enough is enough but try Irish Ferries and you wont be dissapointedBonksmiliesmilie
Roll on Kells 2010
27-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
Well that will teach me to wait and see!
My invoice for 2 of us and the camper van is just £35 more than this year
AND we are on the big new Manannan
MV
28-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
I have just booked me and my car to visit TT 2009, £313, about £13 more than last year, so not so bad.

However in filling the internet forms at first, I got a quote of £192 and then realised that this was the return fare on the same days as I wanted, but going off the island and coming back, £100 difference !!

Surely the ferries use the same fuel either way. How do they qualify the difference ??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
28-11-2008, 05:12 PM
Website Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
The best way for those of you who are still going next year but then not going again because of the cost, to deal with the racket company is to cancel your trip for next year when you get the bill to pay, tell them its too expensve. If enough people do that then they will get the mnessage. Unikely to happen but while ever the demand seems to be there they WILL rip you off. Ian £313 for you and a car, not too bad????????????????????????
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
28-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Website Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

They always charge more for peak time sailings..............no matter what the fuel cost.
28-11-2008, 05:34 PM
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
The Bag Wrote:The best way for those of you who are still going next year but then not going again because of the cost, to deal with the racket company is to cancel your trip for next year when you get the bill to pay, tell them its too expensve. If enough people do that then they will get the mnessage. Unikely to happen but while ever the demand seems to be there they WILL rip you off. Ian £313 for you and a car, not too bad????????????????????????
Russ
28-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
As we enter the MGP every year as an entrant, i have complained that without the riders there is no event. We get the token 10%, but that is a drop in the ocean compared to what it cost to enter a bike. last year i noticed that the thurs AM boat, which had become popular with riders, suddenly increased out of line with other crossings. I complained to Steam Racket and a MHKM. i got a standard reply from racket and no reply from the MP. Who is lining whos pockets here. We were supposed to have that enquiry, but that got swept under the carpet. I bet the cheeky so and so's will keepthe fuel surcharge on even though the cost of fuel has dropped. Wake up IOM government they are stopping people going over to the island
28-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

In all fairness to the Steam Packet they have sponsored MGP races over that last number of years. Now I've no idea of what the cash value of that sponsorship is but it must substantial
28-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Michael Offline

Threads: 6
I'm a lucky man. I paied in Euro. 2007 Heysham-Douglas return 260,00 € , 2008 Heysham-Douglas return 255,00 € , 2009 Heysham-Douglas return 230,00 €. But over the channel Zeebrugge-Hull and return. Cabin to sleep in the night cause it's a 14 hour sailing. Breakfast an dinner inwards and outwards cost 200,00 €. Any more questions???? But we are at the Gruseleck in 2009 again.
Michael
28-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Website Find Reply
GREEBA#94 Offline

Threads: 11
My invoice is virtually the same as last year, £372.00 for car,adult and 1 junior. Yes, the price is extortinate but i spend all year waiting for the next year and ufortunately cannot put a price on the pleasure it gives me and my son.
To put the cost into context, last night my good lady wife priced a 4 day visit to Ragdale Spa whilst we are away, £618.00 for four nights .
The reality is that while people are prepared to pay for something that they have a choice with then prices will remain high. So until the boat is only half full during TT fortnight then nothing will change.
I, for one will be there next year and the year after etc.

Greeba#94
07-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Find Reply
oggy Offline

Same old same old this comes up every year but every year the boats are ful so the Steam Racket take no notice of complaints because they don't have to. I would like to know what percentage of there annual profit is made TT fortnight quite alot I bet. I will return and have decided that after 35 years that it is no good complaining, it does no good, just bite the bullet and enjoy, roll on June.
07-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Find Reply
ancient Offline

Threads: 4
sea freezes at south coast if this global warming continues well be able to walk across to the island.have to be carefull of the ice road truckers going to m&s though.
07-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Find Reply