Kawasaki to quit MotoGP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Kawasaki to quit MotoGP
Kawasaki are set to pull out of the MotoGP World Championship before the start of the 2009 season, according to reports.

Stories in Italian and Spanish media claim that the Japanese manufacturer has been forced into the withdrawal because of the global economic problems.

The sources also claim that a public announcement will be made on January 5 2009, although team staff have reportedly already been informed.

However, Kawasaki rider Marco Melandri, who only recently joined the team in a bid to kickstart his career following a disappointing season at Ducati, says he has not heard anything.

Melandri said: "I have to wait and speak to someone. At the moment I don't know anything.

"I can only hope that I wake up on January 1 and discover it's all a bad dream."

A Kawasaki withdrawal would leave Melandri and new team-mate John Hopkins without a team for the upcoming season, and MotoGP would be reduced to just four factory teams.

Kawasaki and MotoGP organisers are yet to comment on the stories.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
31-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Website Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
RE: Kawasaki to quit MotoGP
This would be very disappointing news. I know they have struggled but I was looking forward to Melandri and Hopkins joining the team, especially Melandri who has had a shocker of a season. I remember a couple of years ago when we all thought Pedrosa and Melandri would be the ones to give Rossi some tough competition, sadly for Melandri, this didn't happen.
01-01-2009, 12:30 AM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
RE: Kawasaki to quit MotoGP
Aspar in Kawasaki talks

Motorcycling team Aspar are in talks over a possible takeover of MotoGP factory squad Kawasaki.

The Japanese manufacturer will soon announce its exit from the elite class of the World Championship, with 125cc and 250cc outfit Aspar keen to run the ex-works bikes in 2009.

MotoGP rights holders Dorna are keen to keep Kawasaki, one of five factory teams last season, in the sport.

"For the last two days I've been on the phone with Dorna," Aspar boss Jorge Martinez told La Gazzetta dello Sport. "They called me first.

"We are in contact - and talks to buy out the two Kawasakis have started.

"I'm very interested in MotoGP. It's a project that was already in my plans. Now there is this opportunity; I don't yet know with certainty what will happen.

"For my part there is the will to talk."

Aspar had previously held discussions with Kawasaki about forming a satellite squad. However they fell through over Kawasaki's insistence on a spot for Japanese rider Shinya Nakano.

Martinez indicated that John Hopkins, who along with Marco Melandri had signed a deal to ride with Kawasaki in 2009, would be welcome at the team should it come to fruition.

"I certainly wouldn't have any problem with Melandri. In fact, he's a rider I've always liked very much," he said.

"[However] the matter regarding riders isn't a priority at the moment."
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
03-01-2009, 01:48 PM
Website Find Reply