A little help to get me started
sr432 Offline

Threads: 3
A little help to get me started
I am a 200gp vintage racer in the states very interested in running lightweight classic machines but I have no idea where to get started(i.e. machine restrictions, classes, rules, dates ect). Any help with proper web site links or contacts would be greatly appreciated thanks.
11-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

RE: A little help to get me started
I assume you plan or want to ride in the Manx GP ?

It's a little tricky getting the right race licence to do the Manx GP if you are from outside the European Union it can be done just not starightforward.
Anyway heres the Manx GP website

http://manxgrandprix.org/

If you go to this page and scroll down you should be able to download the 2008 regulations for the Manx GP

http://www.manxgrandprix.org/Classic/ClassicC.html

and within the regs and other documents on that page you will find information about the Classic classes including machine eligibility.

Hope that gets you started
11-01-2009, 04:06 PM
sr432 Offline

thank you so much i wll check that out
11-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
sr432 Wrote:thank you so much i wll check that out

If you get your licence then send me an E mail then i will help all i can
11-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Find Reply
willyc Offline

Threads: 0
You could also go to http://www.southern100.com and download this years regulations for the Pre-TT Classic meeting.
12-01-2009, 04:42 PM
Find Reply
irishago Offline

Threads: 18
Hi There ive been doing the TT/Manx GP for a good number of years and am still doing Classic Classes at the MGP i hope to be at Willow Springs the end of April look me up in the paddock Kevin Murphy is the Name will be racing a Gold Star Manx belong to Ron Halem out of California or otherwise known as Gold Star Ron cheers Irish Ago...
15-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Website Find Reply
sr432 Offline

thanks for responding look for an email from me
16-01-2009, 01:51 AM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Nice to meet you yesterday...! Your bike looks nice and tidy... all in good form for sure... The only thing I forgot, is that you need to get a "toe guard" added to your bike... Hope you get it all ready to head over the Pond... nice to have one more Yank at the Manx..!

Cheers..!!

Ron
28-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Find Reply
sr432 Offline

hey man nice to meet you my race went well, 2nd place. is the rules for lightwieght pistonport only or can you have a reedvalve motor. hope your daytona went well.
chris
07-03-2009, 02:53 AM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Hi Chris..! Daytona is fun, always is.. but it is also a challenge. Took a 4th on Monday (should of had 3rd.... same race times). Then made a gearing change for Tuesday and took a 7th.. ooops. Live and learn. Lots more to learn..!

Keep at it..! I am now starting to make inquiries for a better way (faster and cheaper) to get my bike over to the IOM. Last year, the bike had to ship in early June, and did not get back until late December. That cost almost $3,000 USD to get it to/from London from California. I found out one guy FLEW his bike over (to Liverpool) and back for a lot less, by DHL.

Cheers..!!

Ron - Willow Springs is next..!! (then do final prep for the MGP..!)
(This post was last modified: 07-03-2009, 06:43 PM by Gstarron.)
07-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Find Reply
Will Loder Offline

Threads: 1
If your engine used reed valves as standard or if you can prove it was a common modification before 1967 then the are allowed (same goes for disc valves). Also If your engine was piston port already you can convert to reed valves if you can do it "without changing the external appearance of the engine".

How strictly this rule is enforced seems to vary massively, but basically if there are 20 bikes that look different to yours because you've changed something then it's not allowed. If 20 bikes look different to yours because they've changed something and yours is original then theirs will be allowed. See 95bore manx nortons with 2 less fins on the barrels as a good example of this.
09-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Website Find Reply