Some figures at last
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
Some figures at last
Over the years there has been much speculation, myself included, on how much the TT costs and how much it makes. Well there are now some figures published:
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Isle-of-M...4901970.jp
The Cost
The budget- 2008 budget £3,026,400
The actual exenditure 2008 = £3,722,900
That is 23% over budget.
The Income
Tens of £ MILLIONS
Quoted by Mr Quayle:
"We must take into account the economic benefit of the TT and MGP – tens of millions of pounds are brought in by motorsport events every year."
The bottom line
A massive profit for the Isle of Man

Let us hope that this puts to rest the lack of transparency that has existed on this subject in the past. Although the newspapers as usual prefer to dwell on the negatives, like the budget overrun, the positive is that the TT is a huge earner for the IOM which they get for the bargain price of under £4 million.
Please correct me if I have read this article wrongly. It is also most confusing that the cost of bus fuel is included an article headlined on the TT and MGP?
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
22-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Find Reply
orange Offline

Threads: 12
RE: Some figures at last
Lets hope the steam packet take note of these figures and lower the prices
Soon be There
22-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
What those figures do not include is the fact of the increase in costs of safety after the Michael Moyles fiasco. So what must also be realised is a huge one off cost included in the overspend, and also that it does not include any figures for income gained by business during that period.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
26-01-2009, 02:20 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

DCLUCIE,Respectfully I beg to differ.Mr Quayle's statements are quite clear.
Those figures do include the fact of the increase in costs of safety.

"He said the estimated overspend was 'directly due to extra expenditure arising in respect of extra costs as a result of the coroner's verdict following the tragic accidents of the centenary TT'."

The figures do include the income gained by business during that period. Mr Qualyle said:

"tens of millions of pounds are brought in by motorsport events every year."
26-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
Thtas what i ment Don, it doesn't include the fact of one off fees or charges as a direct of Mr Moyles is included in those figures. My point being that without this one off fee, there may have been no overspend at all.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
26-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Just read in the 1930 Isle of Man Examiner that the budget for the TT in 1931 passed by the Tynwald was 5000 Pounds.
Using Average Weekly Earinings as an index that would be 946,780 Pounds in 2007 money. So that is pretty close to the equivalent of a million in those days which gives us some idea of its worth to the Island's economy then.
With the spectre of even more legislation against tax havens, great entry list this year and Rossi, the 'good old days' might be coming back!
14-05-2009, 03:23 AM
Find Reply