Great News!
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Great News!
http://www.manxgrandprix.org/

This is excellent news in my opinion and I'm really looking forward to this years event.

I wonder what level of rider might be tempted to do the Lightweight race though. If the likes of Palmer & Lougher have a go the organisers may have to do some quick thinking about how reps are awarded so that stalwarts of the event aren't alienated.

From the point of view of a keen speccie (of a certain age Rolleyes) there's nothing but good news in this!
22-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Website Find Reply
kmckay Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Great News!
From the point of view of a keen rider (of a certain age), with a well sorted Laverda Jota in the garage, there's nothing but good news in this!
Ramsey, IoM
22-01-2009, 05:33 PM
Find Reply
andy kirk Offline

Threads: 18
good news happy with that. 2 races a day.......bring it on Yahoo

hi keith how you doin m8 ?? whats up with the andreas site have not been able to get on it for weeks ??
22-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
I've had my criticisms of some of the bodies involved in organising the races in the past, and some things still aren't good, but this is certainly a huge step in the right direction. The nature of the racing scene has changed, the Manx is changing with it, quite rightly.

Allowing TT 'retirees' back in is a good move to boost numbers, though I'd like to see the same rules applies to the classic/post classic events also to keep current TT boys from using the classic events as a bit of practice and some pot hunting at the expense of the clubmen regulars.

I'm also a little wary of allowing riders to do 2 events in a day. I presume this was to allow the post classic and classic lightweight guys to have 2 rides. However given that the races were supposedly shortened from 6 to 4 laps on the grounds of rider fatigue you have to ask how wise this is. I like many others have had to be helped off the bike after 6 laps so I dread to think what state people will be in at the end of a second race?

All in all a good step though it should be regarded as a first step and not the only one needed. Well done MMCC, 8/10 Smile

My only regret is that I won't be able to get enough signatures for the course licence this year or I'd be out on my post classic 750. Maybe next year then! Better check the leathers haven't shrunk too much in the wardrobe over the winter....
22-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Excellent..!! A bunch of us were having this discussion during last year's MGP... seems they were listening for sure... I read the info posted, and the only thing I would question is the use of "stock ignition" in that one class.. that does not make any sense to me.. I guess there may be a reason... just not sure what it is...

I am confident this will bring more race bikes, racers, and spectators... Gosh to hear a Honda 750-4 SCREAM again..!!!

Cheers..!!

Ron
23-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Find Reply
beerat Offline

Threads: 5
I agree ,Should be good for everyone
My only question is why is there a 500cc limit on two-strokes, As a guy told me yesterday there are more 750's still racing than there are 500's and you can still get a few parts for 750's

Good news all the same

Chris
23-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

beerat Wrote:I agree ,Should be good for everyone
My only question is why is there a 500cc limit on two-strokes, As a guy told me yesterday there are more 750's still racing than there are 500's and you can still get a few parts for 750's

Good news all the same

Chris

I wondered about this too as there are certainly a good few TZ750s around. Perhaps it was felt that something like a TZ750 would just clear off while a TZ250/350 would be at a closer level of performance to a post classic 4 stroke. Still, on the whole it's a really good devlopment.
23-01-2009, 10:10 AM
Website Find Reply
Rich Offline

Threads: 4
I'm not sure how many of the smaller bikes will be there but the big bikes should be good to see. I fancy a go myself so might look around to see whats available. Not sure about running it concurrently with the Newcomers though.
The biggest difference in entries will be the 2 in a day. Meaning riders don't have to choose now. This should boost all classes.
All we need now is a paddock that doesn't turn into Glastonbury every time it rains, free washing machines and the hope that entry fees and ferries don't cost the earth.
23-01-2009, 03:06 PM
Find Reply
andy kirk Offline

Threads: 18
been taking this in abit today realy cant wait for the m.g.p 09 could be the best ever.

anybody know what the rules are hope its to the post classic clubs rules ??

may have a shot on a gs1000 but very few of them are 1000,s any more 1085 or bigger is the norm.

if its strictly limited to 1000cc there are not goin to be many legal 1000,s on the the grid.

shame they have not allowed tz750,s in as there are still a good few about.

but on the whole this could be brilliant for the mgp..........hope to be seeing some wonderful exoctica on the grid and i think it will attract some very big name riders on some very special race bikes.

happy days smiliesmilie
23-01-2009, 09:28 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Details on what's eligible here:

http://www.manxgrandprix.org/PostCl/PCElig.html

According to an article by John Watterson on http://www.iomtoday.co.im, the chap that ran Guy Martin on the Heron Suzuki replica at the pre-tt classic is keen to enter and wants to put Guy on the bike again. Also, Chris McGahan's name has been mentioned in connection with a Trident.
(This post was last modified: 23-01-2009, 10:37 PM by sticky.)
23-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
It just sounds better and better... Hey all of you... perhaps you can send letters to all of the bike magazines over there.. Unless the word gets out to the general motorcycle public, lots of folks may not know about the changes..! Keep spreading the word... I am sure it would benefit everyone... I will send a letter to mags here in the states....

I have found a possible CR750 in the states, but it would take some serious $$$$ to get it there.. and then it would need a proper rider...etc... Maybe if I win the Lotto...

Cheers..!!!

Ron
24-01-2009, 03:04 AM
Find Reply
squiggles Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
How many laps will each race now be?
24-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
the 2 stroke side looks ok but why make the four stroke cut off 82 ? at the tt in this period they where using harris spondon peckett mcnabb framed bikes etc where are these bikes going to come from now, they are just not about and when they are they are a small fortune it would cost more to buy a race ready harris than a 2009 gsxr 750 i think the cut off should have been 85/86 then we would have been able to use early fz 750s gsxr750s vfr750s etc of which there are still some very good ones around for nowhere near the money you would have to pay for a harris etc these bikes would not necessarily be any faster than the earlier 1000s but would be safer due to their better handling what does everyone else think?.
25-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Find Reply
Rich Offline

Threads: 4
I can see this post classic stuff going the way of the other classic classes.
It'll be great to watch but from a competitors point of view it'll be big names on big money bikes that do the winning and stop the amateurs from getting replicas.
Best idea for all these classic classes will be to award reps within 10% of the first Manx eligilble rider home, rather than within 10% of Guy on a Heron Suzuki!
Given the stress the course puts on bikes, are there enough spares to keep these things going?
Am I the only one who thinks this N/C P/C combined race could get a bit messy?
26-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
As i have said before ok if you have a spare 10/15 grand to buy and prepare a proper formula 1 bike but most mpg riders don't have that kind of money so some of them will be off down to their local breakers to buy an old road going gs1000etc complete with the rotting frame from the inside and that spells disaster at the bottom of bray hill so it comes back to people with money buying proper bikes then paying tt riders to ride them and they will be paid regardless of what they say they are professionals they are not going to spend 2 weeks at the manx for nothing if they did the tt organizers would have a lever not to pay them.
26-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
cregnybaa Wrote:As i have said before ok if you have a spare 10/15 grand to buy and prepare a proper formula 1 bike but most mpg riders don't have that kind of money so some of them will be off down to their local breakers to buy an old road going gs1000etc complete with the rotting frame from the inside and that spells disaster at the bottom of bray hill so it comes back to people with money buying proper bikes then paying tt riders to ride them and they will be paid regardless of what they say they are professionals they are not going to spend 2 weeks at the manx for nothing if they did the tt organizers would have a lever not to pay them.

I agree, and I think it's a shame the organisers haven't adopted their own rules for entering TT riders. It always used to be the case that TT riders were excluded from the Manx because if they were good enough to ride in the TT they had no place in a clubman event. The classics were only excepted because there was a minimal flow of 'new blood' coming in. Result - professional TT stars coming in for a bit of extra practice with big money sponsors, picking up all the awards and leaving the little guys to pay all their own costs with little hope of any recognition. Now that ex TT riders are quite rightly allowed back after a set layoff (implying they have genuinely retired from the TT) the same eligibility rules should be applied to the Classic MGP to stop the pot-hunters who are not in the spirit of the event.
(This post was last modified: 04-02-2009, 10:55 AM by Tomcat.)
04-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Website Find Reply