Machine Eligibility Questions.
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
RE: Machine Eligibility Questions.
Hi All..!! I am getting excited here..! This is a great thread... I suggest that we remember that last year was most unusual... lots of rain and a shortened race.

I thought it was mentioned that the Paton should be able to do 110 MPH laps.. Or am I dreaming..??

Does not matter... one way or another, my bike and I are coming..! Need to find that pot of gold to pay for the bike shipping....

Cheers..!!

Ron
17-05-2009, 03:16 AM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
cargo Wrote:At the end of the day a successful Manx Classic race is one when it's a good exciting race with lots of people watching...........if it takes a few TT names and an exotic bike or two to achieve that then so be it.

If we get a crappy race and nobody watching then we all lose.

You're right, at least partly, but remember the classic classes aren't exactly overflowing with riders just now. My opinion is the increasing difficulty of getting a 'rep' against the big-budget TT stars discourages "holiday racers" (remember the derogatory term the lovely ACU came up with?) from entering. Your views may differ cargo, but I speak as one who did the classic events for some years and knows plenty more who think the same as me.

I would also argue with the POV that a full field of classic Holiday Racers equals a crappy race. Many spectators come over to see the classics and if you drop to a handful of TT stars followed at some distance by a handful of folk who never had a prayer of a rep anyway, I can't see that holding too many people's interest.

I take Carolynn's point and I was well aware of the grumblings about Bob's bike (I was in the paddock too!), but that's what happens when you get someone hugely talented and I don't believe the bike was as special as the bad losers made out Wink
06-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Well as far as the Sr Classic goes... last year there were more riders than bikes..! I know of several riders that had no ride for this race. And when I was looking for a rider for my bike two years ago, I had a FLOOD of e-mail of riders, almost all of them top guys.. it was a difficult choice for me. Serveral of those guys never got a ride last year (in the Sr Classic) and that is sad indeed. So, how to get more bikes available..?

Cheers..!!

Ron - still looking for the pot of gold to pay for my bike shipping... heh.

Tomcat Wrote:[
You're right, at least partly, but remember the classic classes aren't exactly overflowing with riders just now. My opinion is the increasing difficulty of getting a 'rep' against the big-budget TT stars discourages "holiday racers" (remember the derogatory term the lovely ACU came up with?) from entering. Your views may differ cargo, but I speak as one who did the classic events for some years and knows plenty more who think the same as me.
I
07-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
Gstarron Wrote:Well as far as the Sr Classic goes... last year there were more riders than bikes..! I know of several riders that had no ride for this race. And when I was looking for a rider for my bike two years ago, I had a FLOOD of e-mail of riders, almost all of them top guys.. it was a difficult choice for me. Serveral of those guys never got a ride last year (in the Sr Classic) and that is sad indeed. So, how to get more bikes available..?

It's the old old story! There may be plenty of people who would ride if given a bike (hell, I probably would despite all my whingeing!) but being willing to put thousands of pounds into a lump of metal, lovingly prepare and maintain it all year and pay for a fortnight's running costs and suddenly the ugly question comes up "what am I going to get back from all this"

Not putting down those who still do go and race, I'm glad they do or we wouldn't be having this discussion! Paying a fortune to ship your bike across the pond qualifies you for special hero status too in my book (bet the MMCC don't help you with a penny of support either). However when you put in a load of your own time and money year after year you start to ask is it worth it knowing you'll never achieve what you could against the deep pockets boys. That's all I'm saying.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2009, 07:14 PM by Tomcat.)
08-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Website Find Reply