UK’s fastest female road racer to make Isle of Man TT races debut
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
UK’s fastest female road racer to make Isle of Man TT races debut
[Image: ttnewlogo.gif]

British Supersport rider Jenny Tinmouth is the latest in a long line of talented young riders who have confirmed that they will be taking part in the 2009 Isle of Man TT Races. The fastest female rider in the UK, Tinmouth is set to become the first woman to compete in the solo classes since French lady Fabienne Migout rode in the Supersport and Production 600cc races in 2004.

Hailing from Ellesmere Port in Cheshire, Tinmouth started racing in the 125cc class in 2000 and soon progressed in to the MRO Championship. By 2003, she was a regular in the 125cc British Championship scoring her first points a year later at Mallory Park. That year also saw her become the first female rider to lead a British Championship solo race when she led the Brands Hatch round for a number of laps.

2006 and 2007 were extremely strong years for the now 30-year old as she finished 21st and 17th respectively in the Championship with her best result of 7th coming at her local Oulton Park track. Tinmouth scored points in 8 of the 13 rounds in 2007 and also began to compete on a 600cc Honda. Indeed, for 2008 she made a full time switch to the Supersport class and ensured it was another great year as she finished 7th in the British Supersport Cup. She also took 10th place in the prestigious Mallory Park ‘Race of the Year’ event.

For 2009, Tinmouth will again be participating in the British Supersport Cup on board her CBR600HondaRR. On her TT debut, Tinmouth, a motorcycle mechanic for Two Wheel Workshop, will contest the two Relentless Supersport TT Races and the Royal London 360 Superstock Race on the Mountain Course.

Speaking about her TT debut Jenny said:

“I have always been a big fan of the TT so I’m delighted to be making my debut on the mountain circuit. Adding the TT to my schedule has given me a real boost with both my existing and potential new sponsors. This means that, I’ll have all the necessary back-up to be competitive and also allows me to concentrate on my riding. My trip over to the Island at the end of last year was invaluable and it was great to receive expert tuition from the Rider Liaison Officers Richard Quayle and Johnny Barton. I’m aiming to spend my first year at the TT learning the course and I want to make the TT part of my schedule in future years.”

TT Riders Liaison Officer and former TT and Manx Grand winner Richard Quayle commented:

“Jenny is a talented rider and having her commit to the TT is a terrific boost to the races. When she visited the Island for a few days last year I was really impressed with her attitude and professionalism. She’s totally focused and doing plenty of preparation in readiness for her TT debut and I have no doubt that she will acquit herself really well and be a feature on the entry list for many years to come.”

Hon Martyn Quayle, MHK, Minister for Tourism and Leisure, commented:

“Jenny Tinmouth is the latest in an ever increasing list of talented young riders committing to the TT for the 2009 TT races. We’re building a really strong line up and I’m sure that many fans will enjoy watching her tackle the course.”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
12-02-2009, 10:30 AM
Website Find Reply
Rich Offline

Threads: 4
RE: UK’s fastest female road racer to make Isle of Man TT races debut
Jenny is a fast and talented rider and I hope she goes well.
However, in general, I feel that most newcomers to the TT would be well advised to try the Manx first. I know there have been exceptional N/C like Martin, Plater, Robinson etc who go straight to the TT and deservedly so but how many others go straight to TT yet wouldn't have even won the Manx N/C race?
I think its an image thing. Every year the TT is boasting its entry of new names but do they ever recommend a Manx first to anyone? In the meantime the Manx N/C is lacking numbers.
Having said that, if you take the top 6 riders at the Manx anyway, they are good enough for TT. Whilst the bottom 10 TT riders should really be at the Manx.
I recall a couple of years ago, a quick club rider, who rubbished the Manx quite openly in the paddocks. Then he went to TT as a N/C and only just qualified, finishing at the bottom of every time sheet and wouldn't have been any better than midfield had he tried the Manx first.
12-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Find Reply
Mr B Offline

Threads: 3
Good luck to Jenny, but I hope she won't feel pressured to become the TT's fastest lady at the first attempt. Pardon my ignorance, but who is currently the fastest woman over the mountain course? I'm assuming it's either Sandra Barnett or Maria Costello, but I've no idea of their fastest lap speeds. Their best race averages are remarkably similar at just over 112 mph.
(This post was last modified: 17-02-2009, 02:59 PM by Mr B.)
12-02-2009, 05:17 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
I think that the real danger that Rich is on about is how much road race experiance someone has before doing a TT. I must admitt that I think that they should at least have competed in a few even if its just to give them some idea of the speed between walls as this is so so different to the circuits we all know and love as well. I know they will all say its fine I know the differences and I know to take it easy, but it is a total different ball game when you put on that helmet and the red mist comes down and away you go.......

I think that anyone with low or zero road race experience should do the Manx first.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
17-02-2009, 02:02 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

I bought a bike from Jenny a couple of years back (GSXR600K2)

She's a good looking girl and can certainly ride a bike thats for sure.

I'll also take some credit for mentioning her to Paul Philips after she told me that she'd be interested in racing on the TT Course.
I did actually suggest that she should do the Manx.............I told her the cameras would be following her everywhere just like they did when Kate Parkinson did the Manx.

Best of luck to her for the TT I'll be looking out to see how she goes.

On another subject are these TT press releases not getting a bit boring .................

so and so commented................ somebody said...............

They are getting very very samey nothing new just same old same.

Just a thought nothing more
17-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Cargo makes a good point with regard the Press releases.I was beginning to thing exactly the same. In fairness Cargo, you can hardly blame the PR side of the organisation for fanfaring the arrival of new talent. I think it is terrific to see so many new talented names wanting to race on the Island. I strikes me that the TT is starting to look like a proper International event once more. I couldn't imagine wanting to watch a BSB event ever again, but waiting for the first man (or woman!) on the road at my favourite spot between Sulby and Ramsey, well it makes my spine tingle just thinking about it.
18-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Have to agree Nick great to see talented newcomers. That Marc Fissette should go well................he's famous for his 250 race with some fellow called Dunlop at Dundrod a few years back. Not too many could stick the pace with him round there................

Must get organised and bring my K2 over for the TT and get Jenny and it's orginal owner and 2007 TT newcomer Rob Barber to pose for a picture with it.................might boost the value a little Pigfly
18-02-2009, 01:21 PM
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
12-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Website Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
Just makes me wonder why she isn't doing the Manx first. So many people on here screem about the fact that newcommers should really do the manx first and here we all are saying how great it is seeing someone new at the TT. Oh how bad am I getting in my old age .....
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
13-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
DCLUCIE, I have to agree with you.When I first rode in the TT, it was because ladies were not allowed to compete in the MGP,so it was TT or nothing.Unless you have some experience on the roads, I really believe that you should have to do the MGP first, particularly now a TT course licence is needed.We have all discussed this before, but how do 6 meetings round a circuit like Mallory bear any resemblance to the TT? You should have to compete in a least 3 meetings on some kind of public roads.
I do believe that it is some kind of ego thing, but it is also about finance, as most of the MGP riders do not receive the same amount of sponsorship as TT competitors do, and they do not have their travel expenses paid either.It adds up to the fact that is is far more lucrative to do the TT,and it attracts far more publicity
There are always exceptions to the rule,as we have seen with riders such as Steve Plater, but machines are so fast nowadays, that there is no substitute for experience,so I hope Jenny takes it easy until she really knows her way round.
16-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Well said Hilary. I did the Manx for 9 years, and it never did me any harm. I admit, that but for the fact that I was strictly a holiday racer in those days, (due to Professional Trials commitments), it would have been better for me to ride the Manx twice at the most. However, there is so much more pressure at the TT, I would have far preferred to ride the Manx at least once, and get an idea where I was going.
And you're quite right again Hilary, how does six meetings round Mallory prepare you for the Mountain course? I can only think of machine preparation, but surely if you're expecting to enter the TT, you should be riding (for example) at Scarborough?
Anyway, what do I know about the price of cheese?
16-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
Have to agree, you should do the manx first. That way it would keep the manx numbers up and give the riders the experience they need. There seems to be a blinkered view towards the TT. I know certain people are employed to get the entries up, but surely the riders welfare should come first. Also this blinkered view is why the manx is getting left behind.
16-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

shipleymanx Wrote:Have to agree, you should do the manx first. That way it would keep the manx numbers up and give the riders the experience they need. There seems to be a blinkered view towards the TT. I know certain people are employed to get the entries up, but surely the riders welfare should come first. Also this blinkered view is why the manx is getting left behind.

The Manx is most certainly not "getting left behind".
I believe there are some who would see the Manx as a distraction but far many more are working very hard to see to that the Manx GP thrives................there is more passion and love for the Manx GP in a Manx GP riders little finger that there is in an entire TT race for the TT.
Only this weekend past a second party of MGP newcomers from Ireland has been on the Island learning the ropes in preparation for the Manx GP..............I believe thats a total of 25 who have been over from here................
I also know there have been other trips made from England and beyond. I'll be on the IOM in May with a newcomer.
None of these guys are superstars YET !.................... many many of the current TT stars started at the Manx and that will continue I have no doubt of that.....................

The Manx in my humble opinion is ON THE UP
16-03-2009, 04:57 PM
cargo
Unregistered

Furthur update

I've now heard that 65 Manx GP newcomers have visited the IOM in that past couple of months...................

Let me type that again 65

That just has to be great news for the Manx GP
16-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
That is great news Cargo.They are obviously a sensible crowd,as we all know the MGP is far more interesting than the TT,and it's going to be more so this year with the new class.Who really wants to see the same bikes in every race? Too many TT visitors only want to ride round at excessive speeds,and drink loads of beer,whereas MGP people are real enthusiasts.Ok, I'm ready to be shot down in flames.
17-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Find Reply
Rich Offline

Threads: 4
cargo Wrote:Furthur update

I've now heard that 65 Manx GP newcomers have visited the IOM in that past couple of months...................

Let me type that again 65

That just has to be great news for the Manx GP

65! Great news. Thats a proper race. But aren't they running concurently with the Post Classic? If so I hope they don't get too many entries or it'll be oversubscribed!
As Cargo says. Looks like the Manx is definately on the up. Shame I can't make it this year.
18-03-2009, 02:07 PM
Find Reply