Valentino Rossi to attend 2009 Isle of Man TT Races
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Valentino Rossi to attend 2009 Isle of Man TT Races
Rossi to lap the course with Giacomo Agostini before Dainese Superbike TT Race

[Image: thedoctor3.gif]

Eight-time MotoGP world champion, Valentino Rossi, has confirmed today that he will make his first visit to the world-famous Isle of Man TT Races in June this year.

The 30-year-old winner of 97 Grands Prix will visit the Island on Saturday 6th June with fellow Italian legend Giacomo Agostini. Agostini who raced on the famous Mountain Course between 1966 and 1972, winning 10 TT races, which then held world championship status will accompany Rossi on a lap of the course prior to the Dainese Superbike race.

The two most successful motorcycle racers of all time will ride behind the course car on 2009 Yamaha R1’s, flanked by some of the famous Travelling Marshalls, who will be riding similar machines.

Commenting on the visit Rossi said:

“I am fascinated by all sort of motorsport and the Isle of Man is a destination and a race I have wanted to experience for a long time. The MotoGP schedule is very busy around this time of year, but this year the TT has moved dates a little and there is a week gap between Mugello and Catalunya, so now at last we have the opportunity to see this famous event! I have seen many famous images from the TT races, and of course heard much about it from Giacomo and Mr Dainese who enjoyed the experience so much last year.”

Lino Dainese added:

“This is the second year of being the Official Safety Partner to the Isle of Man TT Races and is a very big challenge for our company: we want to give a strong signal to our commitment of safety. We continue with our research and development programme of the D-air system, and at the TT Races we will cooperate again with our rider Guy Martin who gave such valuable feedback at last years event. Our research will continue also at Grand Prix circuits this year with Valentino Rossi's support too. We are delighted he can be with us at the TT this year to highlight the general commitment of all our pilots, together with D-tec (Dainese Technology Center) to make a step forward in Motorbike protection.”

Dainese renewed its current partnership with the Isle of Man TT races in April and will be the Official Safety Partner for the second successive year. The company's founder and CEO Mr Lino Dainese will accompany Rossi and Agostini on this historic visit.

After the Dainese Superbike race there will be a press conference involving Mr Lino Dainese, Giacomo Agostini and Valentino Rossi outlining Dainese’s future commitments to further improving safety for people who love active sports before the VIP group leave to return to Italy.

Rossi’s appearance has been made possible because of his involvement with Dainese. Yamaha and MCN have also been involved in setting up the trip, working with the Isle of Man Government.

Hon Martyn Quayle MHK, Minister for Tourism and Leisure, commented:

“The TT has a long history with Italy and Italian riders including Carlo Ubbiali, Tarquinio Provini and of course Giacomo Agostini. It is fantastic that another one of the ultimate motorcycling champions will be visiting the island this year and I’m sure that everyone will give him a fantastic reception along with Giacamo Agostini. We are incredibly grateful to our partners Yamaha and particularly Dainese for making this trip happen. It represents and excellent opportunity to promote the Isle of Man and the TT Races to a global audience”
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 29-04-2009, 01:57 PM by Malcolm.)
29-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 55
RE: Valentino Rossi to attend 2009 Isle of Man TT Races
That IS good news!
MV
29-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
One wonders how Valentino would fare if he had to ride the TT as the riders of the 50s/60s/70s had to do when the TT was part of the World Championship in those days.

But those are days of long ago yet we can still speculate. I think we will all be interested to hear what he thinks of the course and we should glean a truthful appraisal from "the Doctor".
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
29-04-2009, 03:02 PM
Website Find Reply
higgy Offline

Threads: 0
would not count with boys of those years
29-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Find Reply
Don Simons Away

Threads: 28
Good news indeed and good to see that such a champion holds the TT in high regard. Very positive move by the organisers to immediately arrange a parade lap so the crowds can get a look at him as he gets a look at the course.

[Image: 2934482706_a032b17602.jpg?v=1223816345]
Rest in Peace Don Simons 1942 - 2012
02-05-2009, 04:56 AM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

I was at a meeting last night when the subject of "Rossi at the TT" came up. Now the meeting was mainly of people who are avid TT fans like me and the consensus of opinion was that we might as well have Sir Chris Hoy, since he rides two wheels as well. One audience member said he will boo when Rossi goes past ! ( I hope it was a comment the man regrets making ?) Another comment was that he should also visit Swindon Robins (speedway) while he in the UK.........

As a dedicated fan myself (you all know that) I could see where they were coming from and without appearing a devils advocate (I usually am) I would like you out there to answer this doubt. GP-contender Valentino is from one discipline of motorcycle racing and TT racing is another totally different discipline. However it's very good to mix them and I personally look forward to seeing "The Doctor" in person. The publicity angle is excellent and I appreciate that the TT Organisers have pulled off a real coup. But there is still a "Football style" mentality even within Motor Sport (F1 especially)

However I can see what the meeting threw up was a fairly valid observation.
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2009, 08:07 PM by ian huntly.)
02-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Website Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
For the life of me, I could not understand that an audience member said they would boo. You simply cannot compare the two disciplines. Valentino Rossi is a champion of his. And what a champion. I would consider it a treat, if I was at the TT, to know Valentino was there in whatever capacity.
02-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1
Like Jan, I've no time for "booers" at any sort of sporting event. I am sure that Rossi would have a hard time like anyone else learning the ultra complex TT Course but that would not make him any lesser of a rider.
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
02-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Find Reply
pitlane07 Offline

Threads: 31
Chris Maybury Wrote:Like Jan, I've no time for "booers" at any sort of sporting event. I am sure that Rossi would have a hard time like anyone else learning the ultra complex TT Course but that would not make him any lesser of a rider.

Since Barry sheen departed,Rossi keeps our sport in public eye,bring him on .
PITLANE 07
03-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
pitlane07 Wrote:
Chris Maybury Wrote:Like Jan, I've no time for "booers" at any sort of sporting event. I am sure that Rossi would have a hard time like anyone else learning the ultra complex TT Course but that would not make him any lesser of a rider.

Since Barry sheen departed,Rossi keeps our sport in public eye,bring him on .

I suppose rosi gets his expenses paid?BonkBonkBonk
Roll on Kells 2010
03-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
ian huntly Wrote:I was at a meeting last night when the subject of "Rossi at the TT" came up. Now the meeting was mainly of people who are avid TT fans like me and the consensus of opinion was that we might as well have Sir Chris Hoy, since he rides two wheels as well. One audience member said he will boo when Rossi goes past !

As a dedicated fan myself (you all know that) I could see where they were coming from and without appearing a devils advocate (I usually am) I would like you out there to answer this doubt. GP-contender Valentino is from one discipline of motorcycle racing and TT racing is another totally different discipline. However it's very good to mix them and I personally look forward to seeing "The Doctor" in person. The publicity angle is excellent and I appreciate that the TT Organisers have pulled off a real coup. But there is still a "Football style" mentality even within Motor Sport (F1 especially)

However I can see what the meeting threw up was a fairly valid observation.

Ian, I cannot agree with your last paragraph, and you disappoint me greatly.

Indeed, I believe that the conclusions reached at this meeting were extremely narrow-minded and in very poor taste.

If I were you, I would have nothing further to do with these "TT enthusiasts".
03-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Find Reply
higgy Offline

Threads: 0
Question  RE: Valentino Rossi to attend 2009 Isle of Man TT Races
how much is the cost 4 doctor yu will never know Pigfly
03-05-2009, 08:41 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Hi Larry and others who feel I may have commented out of turn,

These people I was with, were mainly TT regulars who during an evening of food and drink, put forward a mixed series of sober quality comments and opinions about TTs past and present.

What started it all off was a topic "It's not that long ago that the TT suffered from adverse comments from Valentinos country men" so I tended, at my advanced age, to listen without speaking, in order that I try to analyse what these people who love the TT were thinking over this particular evening.

The whole thing is a great publicity stunt....for Dainese, but what if Valentino makes a comment that "It's bloody dangerous etc". It could do more harm than good and could backfire on those who set it up.

He is a superb GP rider...........................

See what Bernie says today on Yahoo May 4th)
"F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has hit out at the sport's drivers for failing to make the most of commercial opportunities. The co-owner of Championship club Queens Park Rangers told El Mundo: "In Formula One we do not have a Messi, or Beckham. He would be ideal." And who would be the ultimate marketable asset? A woman - but not just any woman. "Ideally she would be Jewish and black," the billionaire added."

That's all I have to say. Please look at this string rationally.
Crazydance

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2009, 07:52 PM by ian huntly.)
03-05-2009, 10:22 PM
Website Find Reply
BigDick Offline

Threads: 1
Well, all I can say is good luck if you think Rossi will meet anyone publicly.
I live in Canada and had the great fortune to go to the U.S. round of the GP in Indianapolis last year. Other than television interviews, he never left his trailer and when he did that it was like a rat up a drain pipe.
At the conclusion of the race weekend a handful of us hardcore fans waited around for several hours after the races had ended to catch a glimpse or maybe even hear a word from "The Doctor".
But no, he would not leave his trailer and even had some heavies from the track security to make us leave the area immediately around his motor home, which incidentally was behind a large steel wire fence and we were in fact in a public concourse area. He still had us moved.
So much for the respect he has for his fans, in my book, respect goes two ways, and as such it has dropped a significant amount for hizzonour "Valentino".
Many of the other riders were glad to come out and chat to the fans and sign autographs, even pose for pics, maybe Rossi had a hard time getting his head through the motorhomes door, poor thing!
I'm the bloke you pass as you go down the back straight.
04-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Well ladies and gentlemen, my view on VR's visit to the Island? I am SO impressed that Valentino is coming over. In a busy Moto GP schedule he could so easily have taken the weekend off and jetted off somewhere hot, and secluded. But no, even if he is being paid by either Yamaha, Dainese, or IOM Govt, I couldn't care less who, he still is going out of his way to pay a visit. He will be very aware that his presence will create a huge degree of interest; but he is a proper racer, and I'm sure if he'd been born in a different era, the TT would have tickled his fancy. You never know.........!
I was very critical of Schwantz and Haga coming to the Centenary TT, so if anyone thinks I'm being hypocritical, let me say that their visit was under much different circumstances, i.e. the Lap of Honour for Past Riders.
Can't wait to hear what the great man thinks of it all.
04-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

NickJ Wrote:Well ladies and gentlemen, my view on VR's visit to the Island? I am SO impressed that Valentino is coming over. In a busy Moto GP schedule he could so easily have taken the weekend off and jetted off somewhere hot, and secluded. But no, even if he is being paid by either Yamaha, Dainese, or IOM Govt, I couldn't care less who, he still is going out of his way to pay a visit. He will be very aware that his presence will create a huge degree of interest; but he is a proper racer, and I'm sure if he'd been born in a different era, the TT would have tickled his fancy. You never know.........!
I was very critical of Schwantz and Haga coming to the Centenary TT, so if anyone thinks I'm being hypocritical, let me say that their visit was under much different circumstances, i.e. the Lap of Honour for Past Riders.
Can't wait to hear what the great man thinks of it all.
MV
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2009, 04:28 PM by MV.)
05-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Website Find Reply
MV Offline
Perennial Contributor

Hi Nick

I hope you are well?

Your response is an interesting one and closer to my own
I cant believe that anyone could be so negative about Valentino coming to the TT
I believe him to be a genuine racer with wide interest
He is a huge fan of SMB Hailwood (as well as Barry Sheen) and you could almost say its not fault that the format of GP racing is do different from those days

I too feel sure that he would have given it a go, AND.....there is still time!

But, hey, why should he

Yes, I feel that he is genuinely interested and I for one welcome him with open arms
MV
05-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Website Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
I have been reading these posts with interest but i cant help feeling as to the reason VR is visiting the TT and is he getting his expenses paid? if so why wasnt Pat Hennen invited to the Centenary as he was the first American to lap at 112 mph but the powers that be ignored him and lot of TT fans felt Pat had been let down.
Roll on Kells 2010
05-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
I think what Pat Hennen did was incredible. If I remember rightly, he was the first man to lap at under 20 minutes. Am I right?
Anyway, I'm forgetting whether or not he was invited to the TT for the Centenary, perhaps PP will be able to enlighten us? However I agree that he SHOULD have been invited as a good will gesture. The recent influx of American riders suggests that the powers that be have an improving liason with them., and it is to be welcomed. When I was Riders Representative, there was a black American rider on an MV. Can anyone remember his name? He was a thoroughly decent guy, but ,OH MY GOD!, he was treated so badly. I felt so sorry for him, and can remember doing my best to get him out to practice, it's a long story, so I won't go on
Anyway, moving back onto the subject, may I ask Pykey why he is so intrigued as to whether or not VR is on expenses? You do seem to have a bit of a bee in your bonnet about it. I would have thought the greatest living racer had every right to ask for his expenses(and a bit more), for giving up his rest period during a busy schedule. You are completely entitled to your opinion, as we all are, I'm just wondering what the problem is with VR's appearance.
05-05-2009, 05:38 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
I think the guy from the USA that you refer to may may have been Dwight Mitchel in 2002 on the MV.

I think he had a couple of incidents during Practice Week due to handling issues and eventually dropped it at Quarter Bridge in the Senior, however did finish, albeit down the field.

See our report on him: - http://www.ttwebsite.com/features/0341.php
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
05-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Website Find Reply