Just one more bit of help please ?
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
Just one more bit of help please ?
In which year did a team of Bill Smith sponsored Yamahas, led by manager John Shand, and made up entirely of riders from New Zealand enter the TT with a view to contesting the Maudes Trophy....

It's not a competition unless you are completely correct and then meet me in the beer tent and identify yourself, I'm good for a pint.

The team won the Maudes Trophy and a number of the riders went on to race in following years. John Hepburn comes to mind since he broke down at the Crosby Pub a couple of years after the above and we had a couple of drinks and a chat while the race continued.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
30-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
RE: Just one more bit of help please ?
ian huntly Wrote:In which year did a team of Bill Smith sponsored Yamahas, led by manager John Shand, and made up entirely of riders from New Zealand enter the TT with a view to contesting the Maudes Trophy....

It's not a competition unless you are completely correct and then meet me in the beer tent and identify yourself, I'm good for a pint.

The team won the Maudes Trophy and a number of the riders went on to race in following years. John Hepburn comes to mind since he broke down at the Crosby Pub a couple of years after the above and we had a couple of drinks and a chat while the race continued.
30-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
Ian, I cant remember, however I was in the "pits" during that race. I spent some time sitting on the wall talking to Bill. I know that's not much help, but perhaps we can still have a pint in the beer tent !
30-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
I think it was 1996. Is John Shand still involved with bikes?
30-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Find Reply
moog1 Offline

Threads: 7
ian huntly Wrote:In which year did a team of Bill Smith sponsored Yamahas, led by manager John Shand, and made up entirely of riders from New Zealand enter the TT with a view to contesting the Maudes Trophy....

1994. I remember seeing something about it on the review video
30-04-2009, 10:53 PM
Find Reply
irishago Offline

Threads: 18
I think it might have been 1994 as i met Blair Degerholm in Jan 95 at the London Bike Show he had come to the UK to Race. We talked at lenght about the Maudes Trophy Team the year before.... So yes 1994.....
01-05-2009, 11:30 AM
Website Find Reply