ITV coverage
DCLUCIE Offline

Threads: 50
ITV coverage
Well after all the moaners saying that North one shouldn't be doing the coverage, all I can say is I hope the humble pie is very tastey.

I really am impressed with the fact that they can get coverage out the same night. The news of the 130 mph went out the very same night it happened. Well done ITV and also North one, so so good and the camera's slowmo and also the paddock walk to those boys in the tents. Nice to see. Couldn't see Green light doing that.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
05-06-2009, 11:58 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

RE: ITV coverage
DCLUCIE Wrote:Well after all the moaners saying that North one shouldn't be doing the coverage, all I can say is I hope the humble pie is very tastey.

I really am impressed with the fact that they can get coverage out the same night. The news of the 130 mph went out the very same night it happened. Well done ITV and also North one, so so good and the camera's slowmo and also the paddock walk to those boys in the tents. Nice to see. Couldn't see Green light doing that.

Clucie.
The on board coverage was not this years

And the Humble pie is to be eaten just remember how expensive it is North One getting £800k from DTL to film the TT while in the past the filming was at the expense of Greenlight
06-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Find Reply
Jack Offline

Threads: 0
Don't care who's doing it I'm just glad I'm getting to see something, last years covereage was a bit hit n miss (not got satellite etc)

George Wrote:The on board coverage was not this years
Pretty sure what I've seen so far has been this years
Ride safe Ride free

Jack
06-06-2009, 02:03 PM
Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

On board is this years stuff. Sorry George, but it is all this years stuff. Have also heard that a three d camera is being used for some shots so you may even see something rather special.

George, where do you want the pie delivered? lol kidding matey.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
(This post was last modified: 06-06-2009, 05:16 PM by DCLUCIE.)
06-06-2009, 05:15 PM
Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
DCLUCIE Wrote:On board is this years stuff. Sorry George, but it is all this years stuff. Have also heard that a three d camera is being used for some shots so you may even see something rather special.

George, where do you want the pie delivered? lol kidding matey.

I think the coverage is superb well done ITV 4 also we have presenters who know what the TT is about smiliesmiliesmilie
Roll on Kells 2010
06-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

Soory I should have said the first nights broadcast onboard was last years as for filming in 3D it ont work onboard as the cameras use have to be in a fixed station. Some of whats bee seen is OK but no different than whats been shown in past years. The quality of the onboard is very poor quality and wont improve much, The cameras used by Greenlight are special, built for the likes of the TT and are protected by patent. This year cameras will only be on the Top ten bikes and no other rider will be permitted to uses their own which in my opinion is very selfish by the DTL, some of the lower riders used to produce their own onboard DVDs and sell them to mates to raise cash for racing, but that now been stooped .
06-06-2009, 08:41 PM
Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19
The TV coverage so far has been absolutely superb, and has taken coverage of the event onto a level never seen before. The shots from the helicopter of Cameron Donald going over the Mountain on his 131mph lap were incredible, and showed in graphic detail how hard the bikes have to work (oh, and the riders as well!). Being able to hear the noise of the bike as well was great.

The presenters are knowledgeable and very professional, there have been a wide variety of features and the whole package has been brilliant. There have been a few mistakes, but a heck of a lot fewer than in previous years. I had to chuckle at the 3-D map of the TT Course taking the course from the Gooseneck up onto the summit of North Barrule and right across the top of the ridge down to the Black Hut. Might be a few extra problems with mist up there, not to mention gearing and tyre problems!

I have really enjoyed this year's TT so far - brilliant performances from the riders and generally excellent organisation. The only downside for me was witnessing Scott Jensen's horrific crash at Union Mills on Wednesday - thank God it seems not to have been as bad as it looked at the time. The great weather during Practice Week was such a contrast to the Arctic conditions for Practice last year. Let's hope for more of the same next week, and safe racing.
06-06-2009, 11:41 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

David Griffiths Wrote:The TV coverage so far has been absolutely superb, and has taken coverage of the event onto a level never seen before. The shots from the helicopter of Cameron Donald going over the Mountain on his 131mph lap were incredible, and showed in graphic detail how hard the bikes have to work (oh, and the riders as well!). Being able to hear the noise of the bike as well was great.

The presenters are knowledgeable and very professional, there have been a wide variety of features and the whole package has been brilliant. There have been a few mistakes, but a heck of a lot fewer than in previous years. I had to chuckle at the 3-D map of the TT Course taking the course from the Gooseneck up onto the summit of North Barrule and right across the top of the ridge down to the Black Hut. Might be a few extra problems with mist up there, not to mention gearing and tyre problems!

I have really enjoyed this year's TT so far - brilliant performances from the riders and generally excellent organisation. The only downside for me was witnessing Scott Jensen's horrific crash at Union Mills on Wednesday - thank God it seems not to have been as bad as it looked at the time. The great weather during Practice Week was such a contrast to the Arctic conditions for Practice last year. Let's hope for more of the same next week, and safe racing.

David the sound effects were edited on Cams run over the mountain, watch it again and listen to the TAS bike changing down going up to Bradewell (they up the gears)
06-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Find Reply
marshalls Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
have to say i think the coverage so far has been great,george accept the change and get a life.
07-06-2009, 06:30 AM
Find Reply
imort Offline

Threads: 3
i was talking to a mate last night and we both agreed that the coverage is superb... we're going Thursday so hope the weather gets better
(This post was last modified: 07-06-2009, 07:23 AM by imort.)
07-06-2009, 07:22 AM
Find Reply
George Offline

marshalls Wrote:have to say i think the coverage so far has been great,george accept the change and get a life.

Its amazing what you can do with £800k and its all at the expense of the riders who get sod all this year.
07-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
i am only getting my itv4 sorted, butfro waht i have seen, i AM VERY IMPRESSED!
07-06-2009, 10:41 AM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Well, I think you lot can agree, any coverage is better than no coverage..! I have to listen to Scarlet Radio, and am pleased to get that..!!

Now, have you all seen some of the new cameras..? They are very tiny and I bet they can easily be hidden in a bike fairing and no one would spot it... ahem... did I say that..??

Cheers..!!

Ron - anticipating the MGP... and good weather (we hope and pray..).

Hey you lot...!! Don't drink ALL the beer, save a sip or two for us MGP folks..!!! heh..
07-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
Well the only person here who seems unhappy is George? A Greenlight employee maybe?
OK if Northone got £800,000 to help them produce it then maybe it is a little harsh to compare it to Greenlights previous productions. BUT Northone have an excellent CV of other productions, ie F1 and the likes, Greenlight have not shown this.

Greenlight have produced for years the same shots at the same places and took months to get it to us, it costs no more to take a camera to point A on a circuit than point J, so a bit more variation in the past may have helped their cause.

Onto this years productions, it has been brilliant.
Lets not forget George, sure there have been the odd mistake, only seasoned TT fans would notice this, but is this new format with quick TV coverage not aimed at attracting NEW TT fans as well?

The people who have never seen it before, never realised just what a spectacle it is, just how much effort goes into a lap, from a bike, a rider and a team, just also how beautiful the Isle of Man is?? This sort of production could very well attract alot of new fans to the TT, it may also attract alot of new visitors to the Isle of man outside of the TT time.

Also for people like myself who cannot be at the TT, I get to see it almost live!! How different is that from previous years when the best I could hope for was an hour on Eurosport a week after the event? Or further back than that when only a crappy dvd/video 3 months after the event was it?

Sure the on board isn't the best, but its still good, the slow mo is absolutely superb and the rear wheel cam of John McG is awesome, even as an ex TT/MGP Racer, I never realised just how hard suspension works whilst going round the TT course. It even shows the melted rubber on the tyre being smoothed off whilst cornering?? How cool is that?

The paddock walks (Im not sure they'd do that this week into paddock 3 which is probably its usual swamp by now) were great, Jamie Whitham and Steve Parrish are far more knowledgable than the pricks who did the TT07 programme!!! They are afterall both former TT racers and regular BSB,WSB commentators.

The trips to the homes of John McG and Guy Martin were very good, different, Guy really is as mad as a box of frogs and the sport is better off for that, John McG is as down to earth as Joey was and the sport is better off for that too, but until now, the masses had not seen this.

Even last night (Sat) when the races were cancelled, I was expecting the 2100 programme on ITV4 to be cancelled, but no, it was on, with even more talk and coverage we had not been able to see during the week. Northone are obviously thinking about this production, not just sitting back with their £800,000 and saying "ah well what could we do, there was no racing, lets go down the pub".

To NORTHONE, ITV4 and the DTL a very BIG WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
This really is the best advert for The Isle of Man and The TT we have seen for years. Yahoo Yahoo
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
07-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Website Find Reply
N1 Biker Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
The positive reactions from the vast majority of posters here tell the story - can't wait to see the races. As for George and his Greenlight friends - £800k? You are having a laugh
07-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

N1 Biker Wrote:The positive reactions from the vast majority of posters here tell the story - can't wait to see the races. As for George and his Greenlight friends - £800k? You are having a laugh

The DTL have spent £800k with North One, You get One MHK to deny
this on an open forum, Greenlight produced a format which by the way Russ Henley was broadcast the same day not two weeks later.
What most of you forget is that the costs for this years TV by North One has been at the expense of the riders and the traveling fans, The riders have got no financial help, the fans no entertainment .
No Fair this year which I'M glad off, but the DTL paid the full cost for the Gypsy's to come to the island and rip us all off,
This year the paddock is full of people walking about i white shirts who know sod all about racing, its a standing joke with the riders that the white shirts are the Sulby social club, one of which was bragging being paid £80 per day in the beer tent.

Russ do you agree with the situation the riders are in that if they complain or go public they will lose any prize money.
Taxpayers of the IOM want to know where all the money is being paid out to but cant get the answers, the DTL that run the TT in my opinion are giving wrong information regarding the TT. The TT is seen only as a way of ripping Joe Public Off, The Minister in charge of the DTL cant even give his own Government true facts when asked/
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2009, 05:14 AM by George.)
07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Find Reply
imort Offline

George Wrote:
N1 Biker Wrote:The positive reactions from the vast majority of posters here tell the story - can't wait to see the races. As for George and his Greenlight friends - £800k? You are having a laugh

The DTL have spent £800k with North One, You get One MHK to deny
this on an open forum, Greenlight produced a format which by the way Russ Henley was broadcast the same day not two weeks later.
What most of you forget is that the costs for this years TV by North One has been at the expense of the riders and the traveling fans, The riders have got no financial help, the fans no entertainment .
No Fair this year which I'M glad off, but the DTL paid the full cost for the Gypsy's to come to the island and rip us all off,
This year the paddock is full of people walking about i white shirts who know sod all about racing, its a standing joke with the riders that the white shirts are the Sulby social club, one of which was bragging being paid £80 per day in the beer tent.

Russ do you agree with the situation the riders are in that if they complain or go public they will lose any prize money.
Taxpayers of the IOM want to know where all the money is being paid out to but cant get the answers, the DTL that run the TT in my opinion are giving wrong information regarding the TT. The TT is seen only as a way of ripping Joe Public Off, The Minister in charge of the DTL cant even give his own Government true facts when asked/

wow!!!!!!!!!!... just watch the feckin racing
08-06-2009, 07:24 AM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
Hello George.

I think we've veered off the original subject somewhat here, it was about the great job or not so great in your eyes ;-) that northone are doing with getting a very good production out to the masses.

I do not think that it is fair that riders will or are threatened with losing prize money if they complain or go public, but neither do I know anything about it.

I don't recall a greenlight production going out same day, but if it did then I stand corrected. It certainly wouldn't have been as good as the new one!

I do agree that the TT is becoming a money fest as opposed to what it used to be, yes travelling fans ARE being charged too much for most things, but the racing, generally is free, which off sets it somewhat.

As for the gypsys I don't know what they are as I'm not there.
Loads of people walking round in white shirts who no nothing about racing I cannot really comment on as again I'm not there and do not know what they are there for, but they may be linked to some of the big TT corporate sponsor companies? Purely a guess.

As for riders not getting financial help, my mate who starts way back in the field HAS got money to go, but I tend to agree more with your point George as he got £500 travel money and thats it, no start money, which is £1000 less than I got in 1997 for 2 bikes in 3 races. he has 2 bikes in 3 races. This is not enough in my opinion for what its worth.

As for the fans having no entertainment,
there are 7 races,
1 TTXGP,
Mad Sunday,
loads of pubs,
The Wildlife Park
Laxey Wheel
Castle Rushen
Peel Castle
Concerts at the Villa Marina
Bushys beer tent
A lap by no lesser riders than Giacomo Agostini and Valentino Rossi? They can of course, if they have access to ITV4 watch all the highlights of the races etc when they get in at night.
And to top it off they have the 2 stroke races at Billown on Saturday.
Not a bad set of entertainment would you not agree? and thats just the stuff off the top of my head and I'm not even there.

They are afterall on holiday, when i book a holiday with the family or even with mates, I get a flight/ferry, a room and as for entertainment I have to find/make my own, so I don't think they're too mis treated to be fair.
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2009, 05:35 PM by The Bag.)
08-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Website Find Reply
Ollie B Offline

George,

you seem to know a lot about the Greenlight organisation and whats going on with the coverage, I take it you are either an employee, an assistant at previous TT's or a friend of someone or all there...................either way, the coverage shown so far is FAR FAR better than anything seen on the TT so far!

I can't wait to see what they do with the race tonight, I will be glued to my TV with the remote hidden so no one can change the channel......and it will be recorded too to watch again at a later date!!

I agree the onboards could be clearer, possibly a lens problem, who knows,k but they are hi def and new! You can't disagree for a second that the Hi-Motion footage is nothing short of amazing to say the very least about it........NEVER SEEN material being shown on the TT we ALL love, are you that draconian you can't see its about the material, not who is making it????

Yes, I also agree there may be a few errors in places on the course while being talked about, but who cares-we are seeing locations never seen for years and years and its GREAT! Greenlight have made the same stuff for years, never shown lots of shots I am seeing and they live and work there- how can a company new to the job manage to get stuff like this when an island based company can't?

George, its called doing a better job, simple as that!!!!

You have gone off at a tangent about DTL, money, white shirts and all, it sounds like sour grapes to me and lots others too by what I am reading, people are talking about what they are watching now to when they watched it before, IT'S BETTER FULL STOP!

Now stop moaning, go watch the spectacle of the TT on tele most nights and enjoy it mate, if you are a real TT fan you will love it, if you are a green with envy Greenlight boy, sorry, but your company didn't get it right, thats why ITV are doing it-BETTER!
08-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
As someone who is quick enough to criticise on this board I feel I should also be quick to dole out praise where it's due. This year's TV coverage has been nothing short of superb. Not only have there been a good few programmes actually shown (as opposed to one heavily-edited "highlights" show lasting all of half a hour) but the quality of the content has been fantastic. OK as one who has been involved in the race scene for some time I found parts of it a tad shallow, but for Joe Everyman who doesn't know what it's like to race on the Island it was illuminating, entertaining and generally a great insight.

10/10 so far and I shall be firmly tuned to ITV4 at 9 pm for the rest of this week!

Now, will the Manx be getting some attention or just the cash cow TT? (pardon token whinge!)
08-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Website Find Reply