John Crellin - a true Manx hero
David Griffiths Offline

Threads: 19
John Crellin - a true Manx hero
Like everyone else who knew him, I was devastated to hear of John’s death during the Senior TT this afternoon. He truly was a complete one-off, with an all-consuming passion for anything that was challenging and potentially dangerous – an adrenaline junkie you might say. He was also one of the most genuinely nice guys you could wish to meet - quietly-spoken, polite and ready to help anyone. When Gail first started racing in the MGP in 1998 (well before I knew her) John took her under his wing and went out of his way to help and advise her – a true gent.

It is the oldest and most overused cliché of them all whenever something like this happens in the TT to say that ‘he died doing what he loved’, but in John’s case it is entirely appropriate and completely true. He would never have retired from racing bikes because he loved it so much, and I think he knew in his heart of hearts that his luck would run out one day. How poignantly ironic after all his Everest attempts and successful climbs of the other great mountains of the world, that he should die ‘climbing the mountain’ in the Isle of Man TT at a corner which includes the word ‘Mountain’ in its name. Another huge irony is that John competed in the TTXGP event this morning, and achieved the first podium position of his long TT career. Typically, he said afterwards that although he enjoyed it, the bike was far too slow for his liking!

John loved running, and was a very good competitor in local athletics events, especially the fell races – hardly surprising for such a great mountaineer! After a huge crash during the Jurby Road motorcycle races a few years ago he lost a lot of his running speed due to his injuries, but it didn’t stop him competing and he still enjoyed every minute of every race. He loved the annual Boxing Day Millennium Way Relay event, and was a regular on the evening coach trip afterwards. The last time I saw John to speak to was after the Snaefell hill race a few weeks ago, just before he left for his final Everest attempt.

I have come to dread Senior Race Day as this is now the third time in 5 years that there has been a tragic accident on that day involving people I know well, and it is all too easy in the immediate aftermath to think that the TT should be banned etc, etc. One person who would never countenance any such thoughts was John Crellin, such was his passion not only for the event, but for the right of the individual to choose how to live their life. He lived his life in the fast lane, lived it to the full, and loved every moment of it. John Crellin was a true Manx hero, and will be remembered with affection and admiration by everyone who knew him.
12-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Find Reply
Marco Offline

Threads: 16
RE: John Crellin - a true Manx hero
David Griffiths Wrote:Like everyone else who knew him, I was devastated to hear of John’s death during the Senior TT this afternoon. He truly was a complete one-off, with an all-consuming passion for anything that was challenging and potentially dangerous – an adrenaline junkie you might say. He was also one of the most genuinely nice guys you could wish to meet - quietly-spoken, polite and ready to help anyone. When Gail first started racing in the MGP in 1998 (well before I knew her) John took her under his wing and went out of his way to help and advise her – a true gent.

It is the oldest and most overused cliché of them all whenever something like this happens in the TT to say that ‘he died doing what he loved’, but in John’s case it is entirely appropriate and completely true. He would never have retired from racing bikes because he loved it so much, and I think he knew in his heart of hearts that his luck would run out one day. How poignantly ironic after all his Everest attempts and successful climbs of the other great mountains of the world, that he should die ‘climbing the mountain’ in the Isle of Man TT at a corner which includes the word ‘Mountain’ in its name. Another huge irony is that John competed in the TTXGP event this morning, and achieved the first podium position of his long TT career. Typically, he said afterwards that although he enjoyed it, the bike was far too slow for his liking!

John loved running, and was a very good competitor in local athletics events, especially the fell races – hardly surprising for such a great mountaineer! After a huge crash during the Jurby Road motorcycle races a few years ago he lost a lot of his running speed due to his injuries, but it didn’t stop him competing and he still enjoyed every minute of every race. He loved the annual Boxing Day Millennium Way Relay event, and was a regular on the evening coach trip afterwards. The last time I saw John to speak to was after the Snaefell hill race a few weeks ago, just before he left for his final Everest attempt.

I have come to dread Senior Race Day as this is now the third time in 5 years that there has been a tragic accident on that day involving people I know well, and it is all too easy in the immediate aftermath to think that the TT should be banned etc, etc. One person who would never countenance any such thoughts was John Crellin, such was his passion not only for the event, but for the right of the individual to choose how to live their life. He lived his life in the fast lane, lived it to the full, and loved every moment of it. John Crellin was a true Manx hero, and will be remembered with affection and admiration by everyone who knew him.

Very beautiful text. John Crellin and many others like him stay still there, to remind us that if we wanted to ban the danger we would be wanting to ban the life. My respect to Crellin, his family and his friends.
12-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
Thanks David,
What a fitting, thoughtful and beautifully written tribute. Someone on the "other site" posted the link below. I think it is an appropriate way to remember John.

Remembering John Crellin
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2009, 10:46 PM by John Foster.)
12-06-2009, 10:45 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Davd, I second Johns sentiments and the wording is extremely touching. Many thanks for writing what so many feel, however are unable to put in print.

Malcolm.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
12-06-2009, 10:55 PM
Website Find Reply
samthesidecar Offline

Threads: 0
As David said, John was doing what he loved. R.I.P.
12-06-2009, 11:22 PM
Find Reply
John Hulme Offline

Threads: 2
Very nicely written David, very fitting tribute. R I P John
12-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Find Reply
Stella Offline

Threads: 58
With the extreme highs of racing there also comes the extreme lows.
Would also like to add my appreciations of Davids words spoken from the heart. We never had the pleasure of meeting John but over the many years of following roadracing on the IOM knew his name well, and listened to this mornings interviews on the podium.
He was clearly a man who loved and lived life to the full and thoughts of comfort go out to his family, friends and team tonight.
*Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic*
12-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
Spot on David, what a great tribute.
John was without doubt a true competitor and enthusiast who obviously lived life to the max. RIP John.
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
13-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
So very well written David. I am quite sure that David's text would be the basis of the perfecty eulogy at John's funeral. I cannot add a word to this, except for my deepest sympathy to John's family.
13-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Threads: 10
Well said and RIP to a brave and talented man.
13-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Website Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
Thanks David you have said it all for us, May I also say thanks to Davids mum who has been taking care of other riders that have come off this TT
13-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

George Wrote:Thanks David you have said it all for us, May I also say thanks to Davids mum who has been taking care of other riders that have come off this TT

I think George means John's mum, who although well into her seventies still works part time at Noble's Hospital. All our thoughts go out to her and all her family at this very sad time.
(This post was last modified: 13-06-2009, 12:13 PM by David Griffiths.)
13-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Find Reply
Hilary M Offline

Threads: 26
David has put into words what most of us think.I competed against John in the late seventies,in the Avon Roadrunner series,and I recall him being slightly mad then for riding a Kawasaki Triple! He has acheived so much since then,and never gave up trying in all sports.I am grateful I spent a short time with him,prior to the senior race,simply having a cuppa in the 38th Milestone.Gail,my daughter,and I have both worked with his mum in Nobles hospital,and our thoughts are with all his family.He will be missed so much.
13-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Find Reply
Barry Wood Offline

Threads: 5
Well said David. I applaud your tribute to John. A good character of racing and many other sports. A stalwart privateer who was determined to carry on racing in the TT as long as he wanted to, not so easy in the big works teams and corporate sponsorship world of today. John had been racing since the mid 1970's and was still competitive. A sad loss to road racing here on the Isle of Man.
In this country, it is customary to offer generous gratuities to taxi drivers
14-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Find Reply
Anita Buxton Offline

Threads: 2
Barry Wood Wrote:Well said David. I applaud your tribute to John. A good character of racing and many other sports. A stalwart privateer who was determined to carry on racing in the TT as long as he wanted to, not so easy in the big works teams and corporate sponsorship world of today. John had been racing since the mid 1970's and was still competitive. A sad loss to road racing here on the Isle of Man.

David and Barry's postings are spot-on. I just read the link posted higher in this thread and within it John had said that he would like his epitaph to read "Final Pit Stop". What a man...

RIP John, it was a pleasure to have known you.

My heart goes out to his Family at this time.
Adrenalin junkies have the best habit.....Keep it nailed!
14-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Find Reply
David Griffiths Offline

As I mentioned in my original post, John was also a regular and very popular competitor in athletics events on the Isle of Man. There is a tribute page dedicated to him at

http://www.manxathletics.com/JohnCrellin.htm

and on the site's forum at

http://pub38.bravenet.com/forum/static/s...3&cmd=show
15-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Find Reply