TT2009 - Your Comments
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
TT2009 - Your Comments
OK, so it has now been and gone.

What were your impressions of TT2009 ?

Did you enjoy the racing more than in the previous years ?

Television coverage was much more extensive, however had a few glitches, what is your opinion on the North One / ITV production/presentation.

There was no entertainment on the prom, is it needed or not ?

What sort of entertainment should the Government provide "free of charge" for the public (Manxies and Visitors alike) ?

Should the Government or an entrepeneur be in charge of providing additional to the racing entertainment for the public ?

Bushy's was quiet, why do you think so ? Should it remain, should mini-type Bushy's be located around the Island, should Bushy's provide their own "free" entertainment adjacent to their massive tent on the prom ?

Should campsites apply for "entertainment" licences in order that they can provide food and drink for those who are camping ?

What is your opinion on Energy FM taking on the TT radio coverage in a free bidding basis ?

Plus whatever you think could improve the TT Festival either by addition, modification or deletion ?
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
13-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Website Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
RE: TT2009 - Your Comments
Ok Malcolm tx for sorting the link out and thanks for the b/day posting but also thanks to Manx Radio and ITV 4 it was a great TT thanks again team TT WEBSITE sorry good luck Cargo at the MGP. smilie smilie smilie

Cheers Pykey, and thanks.

Malcolm.
Roll on Kells 2010
(This post was last modified: 15-06-2009, 09:23 AM by Malcolm.)
14-06-2009, 09:08 PM
Find Reply
cargo
Unregistered

Thanks pykey

I reckon it was a throughly excellent TT as a race meeting it was well run.................an example

A request was made by marshals to have the bins emptied in the field at pit lane return.....................it was done no discussion or agrument about whos job it was the bins were emptied.................

I feel the crowds were reduced but perhaps as I've read elsewhere they partied the night away on the campsite and home stays outside of Douglas..................to be honest it matters not the racing was brilliant and we've witnessed something very new and exciting for the future.....................it took 50 year to get the first 100mph lap using petrol................. electricity will do it in less than 5

30 years from now grumpy old men like me will complain bitterly about the lack of noise from leccy bikes whizzing by in silence at huge speeds................just as grumpy old men do today about TT Superbikes.
Such is as it has always been and so it will continue..............

Will I be back..................certainly will

Is the MGP a better race meeting certainly is but then I'm biased

10 out 10 for TT 2009 and well done to everyone involved especially marshals.

Note for Manx Fairies

Can we have some decent weather in about 10 weeks ?....... please
14-06-2009, 10:02 PM
George Offline

Threads: 50
Yes the racing was first class and well done to the riders and teams that put the show on.

But whats happened to all the fans, I have never witnessed a TT as quiet as this years.

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/Bushy39s-...5357729.jp
14-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
I have to agree with all that has been said about TT2009....I certainly enjoyed it all, but I personally make it happen for myself, getting totally involved with absolutely everything...I even attended the evening seminars in the TTXGP marquee to see what their participation was all about.

I suggested mini-Busheys earlier on this site, before I went to bed after returning from the Island completely bushed.

I still feel that sadness when I leave each year when the IOM sinks below the horizon but hope that I will be able to attend TT2010. I look forward to a special DVD, different from the last few years, for I feel someone was in a rut, using the same script each year, changing only the names to protect the innocent.

The racing was good, very good. The Senior race was truly the highlight of TT2009 with the changing leaderboards throughout just like days gone by.

I was pleased to see what a good rider Jenny Tinmouth turned out to be, I hope she returns next year.

Very impressed by all the media coverage this year, especially ITV4 who must have taken lots of time to research the best places to video. I like the H/S-Cam, you can see just what the tyres suffer and how close to the road the fairings go when the bottom of Bray Hill is passed.

AS you might know I spend a fair bit of my time on the IOM talking to fans to see what they think and feedback was almost totally positive.

On the downside, who employs the security people for the paddock and grandstand areas ? There was one who would have been better off in the BNP with his treatment of some people.Very heavy-handed, a need for a customer skills course ! When Rossi came, these guys were actually manhandling everyone out of the immediate area.

I chat to all age groups and I don't think the majority missed the promenade amusements. It all needs to be re-vamped now anyway.

We missed the Douglas sand races but were pleased to see the traditional display by the Red Arrows and the length of time they were displaying (25 mins).

I explored the glens again, walked to places I hadn't visited for years, and saw some of the races from vantage points I hadn't been to for some time. It is still a beautiful island and instead of trying to keep the punters at the terminal end of the prom they should be told more about what to see and visit on days off and in the evening. Strawberries at Rushen Abbey, Queenies in Ballasalla. and so on.

My last comment in this hurried reply is that I felt TT crowds were down significently. I came over on the huge Mannanan on Saturday Night 30th May...There were only 49 vehicles and 259 passengers most of whom were foot passenger females returning from a shopping spree in Primark of Liverpool. The ferry looked empty ! I guess it must have filled up after the Wednesday of practice week but many left again after the Mondays races. Perhaps the IOMSPCo can verify this for us, after all, it is the credit crunch isn't it ??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
15-06-2009, 04:02 PM
Website Find Reply
George Offline

The IOMSP have released the arrival figures for this years TT, they say they are up by 3.6%, and the DTL say they could not find any additional accommodation
15-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Find Reply
ttwebsite Offline
Administrator

Threads: 44
TT Entertainment 2009 - Government Response

Following the TT 2008 review, the Department of Tourism and Leisure identified a number of improvements required in 2009.

A number of key issues came out of this review concerning safety, budgets and quality. In particular there were genuine concerns surrounding the jet quad and the high powered stunts taking place on street venues.

The review indicated that whilst the fun fair was popular among our local residents this was not the case for race fans. It should also be noted that the fair paid £30,000 contribution for their presence on the Promenade walkway. However, the overall cost to Government for cleaning alone from Douglas Corporation for activities on the Promenade and surrounding areas amounted to approximately £40,000.

In terms of quality the feedback was that the street based programme had become tired and repetitive. It became clear that it was time to freshen up the entertainment and introduce new events which resulted in the Villa Marina becoming the focus of the outdoor entertainment for 2009. It was apparent that there had been disappointment in 2008 from race fans, as concert tickets had already sold out on Island prior to their arrival.

The Department of Tourism and Leisure funded or co-funded the following events:

Friday 5th June U2 UK, Villa Marina Gardens, Douglas

Saturday 6th June The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Villa Marina, Douglas

Sunday 7th June Street Bike Challenge, Mooragh Promenade Ramsey Red Hot Chilli Pipers, Villa Marina Gardens Peel TT Day

Monday 8th June Port Erin TT Day The Blades Aerobatic Display Team, Douglas Bay Route 66 Villa Marina Gardens

Tuesday 9th June Ramsey Sprint, Mooragh Promenade, Ramsey The Red Arrows RAF Display Team, Ramsey Bay Douglas Beach Race, Douglas foreshore, cancelled due to race rescheduling The Red Arrows RAF Display Team, Douglas Bay, Whitesnake, Villa Marina Gardens

Wednesday 10th June Wingwalkers Display, Douglas Bay TT Party Night, Villa Marina Gardens, cancelled due to race rescheduling

Thursday 11th June Wingwalkers Display, Laxey Bay Moddey Dhoo Laxey Motorcycle Show

Friday 12th June Hawker Hunter Jet Fighter Display, Douglas Bay.

The Department of Tourism and Leisure is aware that a number of people were disappointed with the entertainment provided during the TT period, however, a great number of people did support the events and positive feedback was received from those who attended them. Racing on the Tuesday meant reduced spectator numbers at the Ramsey Sprint but despite this it was still hailed a successful event by the organisers.

Some of the entertainment, however, was affected by difficult circumstances beyond the control of the Department. The necessary re-scheduling of racing meant that, unfortunately, the Douglas Beach Race and the Villa Marina TT Party night had to be cancelled. Difficulties also arose on Friday with the Hawker Hunter Jet Display as, due to poor weather at its base in the South of England, this too had to be cancelled. However it was replaced at the last minute by a jet trainer fly past.

Minister for Tourism and Leisure Hon Martyn Quayle MHK said:

‘I would like to thank the Peveril Motorcycle Club and David Craine’s team for their hard work in preparation for the Douglas Beach Race event and regret that it was necessary to cancel. I also wish to thank the Red Arrows for putting on a fantastic show and for their flexibility in changing the Douglas display time. And last, but not least, I would like to thank Norton Racing for putting on the TT firework display.’

He went on to say:

‘I acknowledge and accept that the changes to the programme meant that there was not the same atmosphere and buzz on Douglas Promenade as in previous years and this was missed by both residents and TT fans. Many thanks to everybody for their feedback on the TT Festival 2009 and we will be announcing plans for TT2010 for launch at the Bike Show, held at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, in November.’

So, what is your opinion ??

If you have a sensible and feasible idea that could improve upon the TT2009 attempts at Street Entertainment on the Promenade, then send that suggestion to the DoTL ~ HERE
Standing in the middle of the road is very dangerous; you get knocked down by traffic from both sides.
24-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Website Find Reply
DCLUCIE Offline

I think the DTL cirtainly made the biggest mistakes of all through out the TT. People were being given tickets at a massive discount for some of the events at the Villa. This really annoyed all those who had paid the full price just the day before. There was no real geat entertainment during the TT fortnight, people were wandering around looking for things to do. There was no real implimentation plan put in place if the racing was delayed, why not move entertainment to the days that are free.

There should really be a fun day for riders and bikers, we were discussing exactly the same thing with Bill the other night, and he came up with a great idea, turn Mad Sunday back into the fun day it used to be. Charge the riders for going over the mountain one way, this can be used for the Helicopter fund, or free if you are in fancy dress. Organised ride outs including the mountain, could be given times for the mountain, just like tee times in golf, so they can enjoy the ride over the mountain without the worry of being taken out by some numpty thinking they are riding for TAS. They could also publish the times in the program so lovers of a particular typor make of bike can get up to the mountain and watch or take pics of the bikes they love.

Organise different events around the Island for the non race days that can easily be moved if the race dates change so this has two benefits, 1st that everyone can enjoy the event without missing any of the racing 2nd that the organisers of the event get the support they deserve from the people that would normally be out either watching the bikes or marshalling.

But I have to say that apart from the lack of good events, the racing was absolutely brill. The only thing I might suggest is moving the Senior to Wednesday. Yeh I know this breaks with tradition, but having the last race of the week a 6 lapper may not be a good idea, for some of the riders doing the six laps after a full weeks racing maybe just a step too far. Moving the 6 lapper into the week gives them a chance to be fresher and also it makes Friday a more relaxing day if they move a 4 lap race to the Friday. Its just a thought, and something I would like to throw in there to see what people think.
When people say one thing and mean another its called politics, when organisers say one thing and mean another its called a mistake, when the ACU say one thing and mean another its called information.
(This post was last modified: 25-06-2009, 01:53 PM by DCLUCIE.)
25-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Find Reply