PIT LANE SPEED CONTROL?
scruffy Offline

Threads: 11
PIT LANE SPEED CONTROL?
A Pit Lane Speed Restriction of 60 kph has been established and will be in operation during the 2009 Manx Grand Prix races.

Pit Lane - New Speed Limit - 60kph
At the entrance to the Pit Lane the Stop Box has been removed.

Just before the start of the Armco Barrier there is a Single White Line with a board at each side indicating 60 kph. From this point until the Pit Lane Exit - which is indicated by a White Line with a board at each side with the 60kph crossed out, the speed limit is 60kph.
This speed limit will be controlled by transponder loops in the Pit Lane.

There will be sanctions for any competitor breaking the speed limit as follows:

61kph - 80kph - a time penalty of 30 seconds.
81kph - 100kph - a time penalty of 60 seconds
Over 100 kph - disqualification from the race.

These penalties will be a matter of fact with no right of protest or appeal.

Phil Taubman
Clerk of the Course

Read this on another site, checked iommgp site and no mention???????????
(This post was last modified: 23-07-2009, 05:49 PM by scruffy.)
23-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Website Find Reply
ali Offline

Threads: 5
RE: PIT LANE SPEED CONTROL?
I was told about this last week at S100, as 1 of the officials that man the stop box and pit lane crossing, I think we might be in for a hairy time. At least the Stop Box the riders knew that they had to stop.
23-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Find Reply
an old man returns Offline

Threads: 22
Is a speedometer now part of technical inspection, Mad1 this has got to be listed under Censored
I was there many times a few years ago, returned in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. SUPPORT THE MGP
23-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

(23-07-2009, 05:48 PM)scruffy Wrote: A Pit Lane Speed Restriction of 60 kph has been established and will be in operation during the 2009 Manx Grand Prix races.

Just before the start of the Armco Barrier there is a Single White Line with a board at each side indicating 60 kph. From this point until the Pit Lane Exit - which is indicated by a White Line with a board at each side with the 60kph crossed out, the speed limit is 60kph.

Phil Taubman
Clerk of the Course

You'll have to put a speedo on it, Brian !!

Icon_biggrin
23-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Find Reply
scruffy Offline

(23-07-2009, 08:32 PM)larryd Wrote:
(23-07-2009, 05:48 PM)scruffy Wrote: A Pit Lane Speed Restriction of 60 kph has been established and will be in operation during the 2009 Manx Grand Prix races.

Phil Taubman
Clerk of the Course

You'll have to put a speedo on it, Brian !!

Icon_biggrin

Im trying to shed weight Larry, to make up for the beer gut! Party1
23-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390

[Image: mmcc1.gif]

MANX MOTOR CYCLE CLUB LTD
2009 MANX GRAND PRIX RACES

A Pit Lane Speed Restriction of 60 kph has been established and will be in operation during the 2009 Manx Grand Prix races.

Phil Taubman
Clerk of the Course
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
23-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Website Find Reply
Manx Badger Offline

Threads: 10
I have to say I'm surprised by this. If the TT can run without pit lane restrictions and without accidents (to my knowledge there weren't any this year and I certainly can't remember any in the past) then why are they deemed necessary for the Manx? Ok there are usually a few close calls with bikes pulling into/out of the pits when the adjacent bike is coming in for a stop at the same time, but the incoming bike would almost always be able to get a clear view and take avoiding action because they would be going slowly enough, having just stopped in the stop box.

I suppose the rule is targeting those who blast out of the pits at full whack when others might be exiting in front of them. In this respect I think it will improve pit lane safety at the exit end but I'm not so convinced that those pit boxes near to the top end of the pit lane will be any safer if the stop box is to disappear.

Plus, how many riders have speedometers on their machines (especially the older bikes?) Are they supposed to guess their speed or will speedos (in the electrical sense!) be compulsory?! Wink
Just to add to the above, very interesting discussion on iomtt.com:

http://www.iomtt.com/Home/Forum/ShowPost...tID=177841
(This post was last modified: 23-07-2009, 11:31 PM by Manx Badger.)
23-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
I hear the FIM are not happy about the TT Pit Lane, and want to make changes similar to the MGP. Possibly also the 'top teams' will no longer be allocated the pits nearest the 'stop box', instead they will be more spread out along the length of the pit lane. Also incoming riders will have to give way to riders who are leaving their pit.
23-07-2009, 11:34 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Hmmmm in some cases there WILL be a big benefit of not having to stop... like the Paton's and MV's really need any additional advantage over the singles...? They should keep the stop box, IMNSHO.. Ahem.. nuff said..
24-07-2009, 12:57 AM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
(24-07-2009, 12:57 AM)Gstarron Wrote: Hmmmm in some cases there WILL be a big benefit of not having to stop... like the Paton's and MV's really need any additional advantage over the singles...? They should keep the stop box, IMNSHO.. Ahem.. nuff said..

For those who run two strokes it could be difficult as you need to clear the engine after a stop. trying to keep it to 60kph could be difficult. A lower pit could be better. And as other people have said how do you know what 60 is when you have been going flat out.
24-07-2009, 07:48 AM
Find Reply

This is a farce..........

Perhaps who ever thought this up used the piece of string method.

It is bordering on the impossible to judge 60kph after riding at speed. Just think what it feels like after driving at 70mph on the motorway then pulling onto the slip road..............

The MGP rules state give way to riders leaving their pits, should a rider not do this penalise that rider. The rule is in place but to my knowledge the officials have never NEVER used it to penalise a rider. The officials are able to make judgement of dangerous riding in the pits, so why don't they.......all it takes is a pitlane camera for monitoring and job done. If the rider in question wishes to appeal let that happen.

Phil Taubman says no right of protest or appeal, presume proof will be presented to the offending rider or are we back to the piece of string again.

Flippin crackersMad1

Erm speedometers if mounted must be covered over according ACU rules/handbook.
I was there many times a few years ago, returned in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012. SUPPORT THE MGP
24-07-2009, 08:49 AM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

(24-07-2009, 08:49 AM)an old man returns Wrote: This is a farce..........

It is bordering on the impossible to judge 60kph after riding at speed. Just think what it feels like after driving at 70mph on the motorway then pulling onto the slip road..............

The MGP rules state give way to riders leaving their pits, should a rider not do this penalise that rider. The rule is in place but to my knowledge the officials have never NEVER used it to penalise a rider. The officials are able to make judgement of dangerous riding in the pits, so why don't they.......all it takes is a pitlane camera for monitoring and job done. If the rider in question wishes to appeal let that happen.

Phil Taubman says no right of protest or appeal, presume proof will be presented to the offending rider or are we back to the piece of string again.

Flippin crackersMad1

I know this sounds like stating the obvious but would it be possible to install a mobile speed camera with a display so at least the riders have a fair chance of keeping to the limit. also i think they should have kept the stop box as well.
24-07-2009, 09:11 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
(24-07-2009, 09:11 AM)shipleymanx Wrote:
(24-07-2009, 08:49 AM)an old man returns Wrote: This is a farce..........

Flippin crackersMad1

I know this sounds like stating the obvious but would it be possible to install a mobile speed camera with a display so at least the riders have a fair chance of keeping to the limit. also i think they should have kept the stop box as well.
As what happens when drivers are approaching road works in Australia. Sometimes I don't believe it though, despite being on the big screen in front of my face. Surely it's not correct. Guess it is.... Very embarrassing. I immediately look at my speedo and yep, I am guilty. Expecting every machine to have a speedo fitted for this purpose is ridiculous.
24-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Find Reply
andy kirk Offline

Threads: 18
i have been told if they did not do this (get rid of stop box introduce speed limit etc) no PERMIT for the manx g.p would be issued this is from the top FIM not THE acu.
i,am told there where many issues at this years t.t (even 1 rider riding the wrong way up the pit lane during a race!!) so this is why this has been brought in.

o.k so quick trip to the dyno 2/3 gear find out what revs to jugde what is 60kph might go to 50kph personally or quick trip round the ind est behind your mate doing 60 kph and jugde it from that job done. 30 secs will take some finding on the road!!
24-07-2009, 09:35 AM
Find Reply

(24-07-2009, 09:35 AM)andy kirk Wrote: i have been told if they did not do this (get rid of stop box introduce speed limit etc) no PERMIT for the manx g.p would be issued this is from the top FIM not THE acu.
i,am told there where many issues at this years t.t (even 1 rider riding the wrong way up the pit lane during a race!!) so this is why this has been brought in.

o.k so quick trip to the dyno 2/3 gear find out what revs to jugde what is 60kph might go to 50kph personally or quick trip round the ind est behind your mate doing 60 kph and jugde it from that job done. 30 secs will take some finding on the road!!

and looking down at your rev counter instead of looking where your going is helpin who exactly.

I like the speed display idea but will the powers that be cough up for itDodgy
24-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Find Reply
smokey125 Offline

Threads: 7
The problem with a speed sign is who is it referring to? With a limit of 60kph you could quite easily have 5 or 6 riders travelling in the pit lane at the same time!
The best idea I’ve seen so far is on iomtt thread where somebody suggested a system of flashing lights to judge your speed against. Simple cheap and quite quick to install.

I can see the reason for it having had a pit near the bottom end of pit lane a couple of years ago. Being on a stroker I needed a push, my pit crew were quite intimidated by the speed of the bikes passing them whilst they pushed me.
Although having said that I think it could cause me real problems as below 5000 the 125 will flood due to the powerjet set up and by 6500 I’m doing over 60kph. Might be pushing the bike down pit lane!

There is one last thing to think about. The statement says it will be controlled by transponder loops. Ok this works well but is entirely dependant on how many loops you have if there is just one at the start and one at the end then no problem. As it won’t matter how fast you go you will never exceed 60kph due to the amount of time your stationary re-fuelling!

I'll finish it one day!
(This post was last modified: 24-07-2009, 01:34 PM by smokey125.)
24-07-2009, 01:21 PM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

(24-07-2009, 01:21 PM)smokey125 Wrote: The problem with a speed sign is who is it referring to? With a limit of 60kph you could quite easily have 5 or 6 riders travelling in the pit lane at the same time!
The best idea I’ve seen so far is on iomtt thread where somebody suggested a system of flashing lights to judge your speed against. Simple cheap and quite quick to install.

I can see the reason for it having had a pit near the bottom end of pit lane a couple of years ago. Being on a stroker I needed a push, my pit crew were quite intimidated by the speed of the bikes passing them whilst they pushed me.
Although having said that I think it could cause me real problems as below 5000 the 125 will flood due to the powerjet set up and by 6500 I’m doing over 60kph. Might be pushing the bike down pit lane!

There is one last thing to think about. The statement says it will be controlled by transponder loops. Ok this works well but is entirely dependant on how many loops you have if there is just one at the start and one at the end then no problem. As it won’t matter how fast you go you will never exceed 60kph due to the amount of time your stationary re-fuelling!
I agree we run two strokes, think we will push to end, then get him to drop the clutch, only joking, but seriously two strokes will not clear their cases at that speed. The rider needs some indication of how fast he is going, as without that most will end up speeding. I do wish they would ask the riders their views on how to best solve these situations.
24-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9
(24-07-2009, 01:51 PM)shipleymanx Wrote:
(24-07-2009, 01:21 PM)smokey125 Wrote: The problem with a speed sign is who is it referring to? With a limit of 60kph you could quite easily have 5 or 6 riders travelling in the pit lane at the same time!

I agree we run two strokes, think we will push to end, then get him to drop the clutch, only joking, but seriously two strokes will not clear their cases at that speed. The rider needs some indication of how fast he is going, as without that most will end up speeding. I do wish they would ask the riders their views on how to best solve these situations.

Why dont they stop you all in the stop box get off the bike stop the engine and push it to your pit refuel and whatever then push it to a line near the bottom of the pit lane where you are allowed to restart once over said line the time taken at walking pace to and from the your pit being deducted from your race time anyone runnig with there bike to or from the pit will get a time penalty.
24-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Next they need to bring back the "Le Mans" style start... ahem... J/K...

Cheers..!!

Ron
25-07-2009, 02:20 AM
Find Reply
pitlane07 Offline

Threads: 31
(24-07-2009, 09:35 AM)andy kirk Wrote: i have been told if they did not do this (get rid of stop box introduce speed limit etc) no PERMIT for the manx g.p would be issued this is from the top FIM not THE acu.

no one road up pitlane at this tt or any other tt or manx ,in last ten years,whoever told you that is a trouble maker ,or a complete liar.
PITLANE 07
25-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Find Reply