Classic bikes
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
Classic bikes
Hi,

I felt With the demise a few years ago of the classic lap of the mountain circuit by some of the very machines that made the TT one of the worlds greatest motor sports sporting spectacles the TT lost a lot of it's atmosphere and sence of history. The TT is a unique event and may it continue for a long time to come, I will certainly continue to attend in my capacity with Race Mission as well as a avid enthuisast as I have done for the last 50 odd years. But Who dosent miss the Manx's, 7R's, G50's, Mv's Gilera's, BSA, Triumphs, Norton's, Ducati's and all those O'h so lovely looking classic real racing motor cycles being fettled in, and started up around Nobles park. Has all that been lost for ever ?. I can appreciate that there is not much room around the paddock area, or enthusiasm from some quarters for the return of these machines but surely we cant stand by and let them disapear for ever from the TT. Does anybody think that the authorities will bring a "classic" lap back for the mountain circuit centennial in a couple of years ?, would a petition on a web site help to persuade the organizers that this would be an appropriate spectacle for the centennial mountain circuit celebrations ?.

What would people think of a "classic bike" festival within the TT festival at Jurby, at least they would get a chance to drive around the circuit, and we would get the chance to hear them, smell them and "gloat" at them. Just a idea, would it work ? What do people think ?.

For people who would want to see these glorious old machines, and cant not get away from the paddock area, how about a exhibition of them in Nobles park,just above the pavilion where the electric bikes were last year ?.

These are just a couple of ideas to try and keep some form of historical content at the TT, What do people think ?.

Pat.
30-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
RE: Classic bikes
Hi Pat
You could do worse than find the best-kept secret of the Isle of Man - the Manx Grand Prix.
This year the Vintage Club moved their Sunday meeting from Castletown Square to the wide-open spaces of Jurby Airfield, bit like Snetterton but feeling a few degrees colder. The weather was appalling, but the crowds that flocked there had to been to be believed! They counted about 3,000 cars in the car park. They could never have accomodated this amount of people in Castletown Square.
Sammy brought a few bikes over to parade, the Vintage Club members went out for ten-minute parades, it was superb.
Add to that the 'Classics' - mainly replicas on the Mountain Course, a pre-65 two-day trial, the Vintage Rally with around 350 entries, one-make rallies as well as the modern races and trial, it all adds up to a super fortnight - but don't forget your thermals.
If I did not live here, I would always make the Manx my choice of holiday.
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
01-10-2009, 03:10 AM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
I must say... I have only been to the MGP, and never (not yet anyway) to the TT. However, I do believe it was 1999 when a certain well known chap piloted a large sized Manx in the TT... being fast enough to give the modern bikes a hard time..?? I would of given at least one Testie to of seen that..!!

Long live the MGP... and yes the VMCC does do a great job..! Too bad I missed the Jurby meet this year...

Cheers..!!

Ron
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2009, 12:25 PM by Gstarron.)
01-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
RE: Classic bikes at the TT
I have always associated the classic bike displays with their origin, the TT, and feel if they appear anywhere it should be at the TT.

I know the insurance and charges to bring 'em are high but they have shown that they can afford to get to the Manx OK.

The TT parade lap has also been dropped, because of required insurance (remember Guzzi V-8 crash for instance !) but Pats idea of having a show in an area such as Nobles Park is a good one.

Problem is not many people can get to see them because of the parking area being limited.

There must be a secure area, even on the lawns at the Villa Marina where a selection of machines which represent the TT from the early days could be shown, in a large marquee or posh tent.

The sea front now lacks a good public show, perhaps we could have something built round TT History for next year ??? Nobody nowadays seems to want to remember or know how the TT developed. People say "who's this guy Geoff Duke", or "what was an AJS"....we need to keep these memories going, and while we have a good Museum, unfortunately with restricted parking, there must be a venue easily accessible, secure and with people able to describe what is on show.

Surely, this must now be considered.
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2009, 07:23 PM by ian huntly.)
02-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Website Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
It is a disgrace that there is not an 'official' TT Museum, although it has been talked about, that is all that ever happens. The TT is not just for 2 weeks, all through the year you see UK, and European registered bikes riding around the IOM, what better attraction could you have than a TT Museum, complete with cafe etc etc etc.
As the TT started at St Johns maybe that is where the museum should be, or how about at .................?
02-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
(02-10-2009, 11:40 PM)chris Wrote: IAs the TT started at St Johns maybe that is where the museum should be, or how about at .................?
Why not compulsory purchase the B&Q building, build a full mezzanine floor, what a super site, good parking facilities, no houses around so if you wanted to run up an unsilenced bike - perfect!
I know plenty of people who would be happy to see their machines exhibited for a year or so, then change the exhibits to keep the thing fresh. I still say that MNH are the only organisation with the expertise to run a full-size museum, this in no way a denegration of Tony East's excellent private museum in Kirkmichael.
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
03-10-2009, 12:49 AM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(03-10-2009, 12:49 AM)Bill Snelling Wrote:
(02-10-2009, 11:40 PM)chris Wrote: IAs the TT started at St Johns maybe that is where the museum should be, or how about at .................?
Why not compulsory purchase the B&Q building, build a full mezzanine floor, what a super site, good parking facilities, no houses around so if you wanted to run up an unsilenced bike - perfect!
I know plenty of people who would be happy to see their machines exhibited for a year or so, then change the exhibits to keep the thing fresh. I still say that MNH are the only organisation with the expertise to run a full-size museum, this in no way a denegration of Tony East's excellent private museum in Kirkmichael.

I like your thinking Bill, however Mr B&Q might not be impressed. There must be ten's of thousands of people throughout the world who would contribute to a permanent TT/MGP museum. Also the motor cycle manufacturers who have benefited hugely from participation and success at the TT I am sure would donate generously. Perhaps a building that has conference facilitys, cafe's, restuurant's and shops would help to finance it. Have the MNH ever been approached regarding
a permanent suitable site for a museum if so what was their answer ?. Their must be loads of TT/MGP friendly MHK's who could help with their clout and/or expertise and give advice. Chriss suggests that a suitable place for a museum would be St Johns where it all began nearly 103 years ago. Perhaps people think that the only suitable place would be in the vicinity of the grandstand, perhaps in Nobles park above the pavilion. Do you have sufficient room on your land in Kirkmichael Tony?. If enough of us think that a permanent museum should happen than perhaps we should try to make it happen, there must be people reading this who have the knowledge of how to go about it. Let's get thinking and get things moving !!, It would be good that when we turn up for the centenary of the mountain circuit in a couple of years time a start has been made on a permanent TT/MGP museum.
05-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Find Reply
ali Offline

Threads: 5
Are there any unused buildings / hangars etc at Jurby that would be suitable.
The old complex at Port Soderick dont know who owns the buildings there though.
06-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1
I would support Bill's enthusiasm for the recent MGP VMCC gatering at Jurby. Yes, I got just as wet as everyone else but such a gathering, with real bikes being used under power may compensate a bit for the lack of a full lap of the Mountain Circuit.

Certainly, spectators can get a good look at the fine and varied machinery and then "see the smells" and "hear the action" of the those who believe in actually using the bikes.

It would be putting a big load on the IoM Section of the VMCC so such a day would need some "Official" help from the government.

However, on further reflection, the TT itself tends to attract fewer of the Vintage / Types than does the MGP and I doubt if many could attend both events.
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
(This post was last modified: 06-10-2009, 03:34 PM by Chris Maybury.)
06-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Find Reply