AirAsia signs as title sponsor for 2010 British Grand Prix
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
AirAsia signs as title sponsor for 2010 British Grand Prix
MotoGP rights holders Dorna Sports S.L. and AirAsia today signed an agreement for the airline to be the title sponsor of the 2010 AirAsia British Grand Prix at Silverstone.

[Image: airasia1.gif]

A deal was today signed by Dorna Sports S.L. CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta and AirAsia Group CEO Tony Fernandes for the world’s best low-cost carrier to be the title sponsor of the 2010 AirAsia British Grand Prix.

AirAsia’s sponsorship is set to deliver added verve to the sport by lending its successful, innovative and passionate traits. Moreover, as a fast-rising global brand, the airline’s association with MotoGP is expected to stir further interest in the sport not just among motorsport fans but the wider community throughout Asia.

AirAsia’s foray into MotoGP started when the airline sponsored AirAsia Malaysia 125cc riders Elly Idzlianizar Ilias and Mohd Zulfahmi Khairuddinfor as wildcard entries in the Malaysian Motorcycle Grand Prix at Sepang International Circuit, Malaysia, in October 2009. The duo made the team proud by being the first two wildcard riders to make it into the top 20 for the 2009 season.

Zulfahmi went on to earn the ticket to race in the FIM World Championship and will be the first ever Malaysian to compete on the world stage in the 125cc class. The 18 year-old will race for Ongetta Team I.S.P.A. and will be sponsored by AirAsia.

AirAsia Group CEO Mr Fernandes stated: “We had our first taste of MotoGP when we sponsored the entries of Elly and Zulfahmi. It was a magnificent experience. The boys did Malaysia proud, and we were thrilled to have helped make their dream a reality. We are proud and excited to be back in the MotoGP this year, with a bigger role by being the title sponsor of the British Grand Prix in Silverstone.”

Dorna Sports CEO Mr Ezpeleta commented: “We are extremely happy that the best low-cost airline has chosen MotoGP to increase its impact on both the European and World stage, and specifically in the United Kingdom. It is fantastic to go back to Silverstone for this year’s race, and to do it with a new sponsor who has shown its dedication to the promotion of new talent – by sponsoring young riders last season – and the sport in general makes it even more satisfying.”

AirAsia – the largest low-cost airline in Asia – services an extensive network of 130 routes covering 70 destinations. In just eight years, AirAsia has carried over 82 million passengers and grown its fleet from just two aircraft to 85. As a truly ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) airline, it has established operations based in Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand, servicing a network stretching across the ASEAN region, China, India and Bangladesh.

Its network is further extended by AirAsia X, its low cost, long-haul affiliate carrier that flies to destinations in China, Taiwan, Australia, the UK and the Middle East.

The 2010 AirAsia British Grand Prix will take place at the Silverstone circuit from 18th-20th June
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
11-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Website Find Reply