Moto2 takes shape in first session at Valencia test
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Moto2 takes shape in first session at Valencia test
After the first morning of the official test at the Ricardo Tormo Circuit in Valencia for the Moto2 and 125cc classes Toni Elías of Gresini Racing is the fastest of the intermediate category.

[Image: elias1.gif]

Toni Elías of the Gresini Racing team was the fastest rider of the first session at the first official Moto2/125cc test at Valencia. The Spanish rider timed his best lap at 1’37.530 on his Moriwaki chassis, immediately confirming his status as one of the main contenders for this season’s title.

The test is the first at which the Moto2 teams have the official Honda engine, and as such provides a measurable level of comparison amongst the riders.

Following Elías, and one of the first riders on track this morning, was Kenny Noyes of the Jack&Jones by A. Banderas team who completed 77 laps. He finished 0.162 seconds behind the Spaniard’s time and was one of the most active riders of the session.

Noyes preceded Claudio Corti (Forward Racing) and Julián Simón (Mapfre Aspar). The Italian was a little over two-tenths of a second off the fastest time, and the difference between he and the Aspar rider – on an RSV chassis – was minimal. With his time of 1’37.810 Simón was the final rider to make it under the 1’38” barrier. Despite having only received the official Honda engines on Saturday, these time are already close to the lap times of the previous 250cc category. In 2009 Alex Debón’s pole position time for the quarter-litre class race was 1’36.116.

The second rider of the Gresini team, Vladimir Ivanov, was fifth quickest at almost half a second behind his team-mate, whilst Yuki Takahashi (Tech3 Racing) completed the top six on the timesheet.

Karel Abraham (Cardion AB) and Raffaele De Rosa (Tech3 Racing) also found places inside the top eight times, and Thomas Lüthi (Interwetten Moriwaki Racing) and Anthony West on the MZ (currently a reserve entry) completed the top ten lap times on a day which is both sunny and with cold temperatures.

Sergio Gadea (Pons Racing) and Alex Baldolini (Caretta Technology Race Dept) suffered the only falls of the session. The Spaniard sustained a finger injury on his right hand which will keep his from riding in the afternoon session, scheduled to start at 4pm local time, and he is doubtful for Tuesday. Baldolini was unhurt
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
02-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Website Find Reply