The World's fastest Velocette
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
The World's fastest Velocette
All records are set to be broken. Bert Munro's fastest official Velo record, 132.35 mph, set in 1971, has just been broken by Stuart Hooper.
Read the full account at:
http://velobanjogent.blogspot.com/
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
15-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
RE: The World's fastest Velocette
Good to read the story Bill. Obviously fills you with pride!
Surely Stanley Woods and Co were achieving close to those speeds on 500s in the late thirties? Well surely 120 plus?
15-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
This is an excellent website. I was totally unaware of this Velo speed attempt and result, despite being almost in my back yard....well almost, give or take a few days drive.
Jan
15-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
(15-03-2010, 10:58 AM)NickJ Wrote: Good to read the story Bill. Obviously fills you with pride!
Surely Stanley Woods and Co were achieving close to those speeds on 500s in the late thirties? Well surely 120 plus?
Even my Velocette Metisse from 1978 was achieving this sort of speed, down from the Creg and revving the ba... err, rockers off it! You are only supposed to rev a Thruxton to 6,200, well it went very smooth getting on for 7,000! That was in practice, got a rollicking from Vern Wallis for playing silly buggers and never used those revs in the race.
Used to routinely take the Viper to 8,000 (7,00 max) out of Cadwell hairpin, trying to keep up with the 500s.
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
16-03-2010, 12:36 AM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Hi All..!!

OK, just to give you an idea... a salt lake bed is NOT like pavement... the salt will build up in front of the tire and slow you down... kind of like you trying to run in about 3 feet of water... takes about 10 to 15 % of the energy just to fight the salt. Now at Bonneville you also have high altitude, further reducing speeds... It takes a BUNCH of power to go as fast as mentioned..! Awesome..!

Oh yes, and the salt will ruin metal, starting immediately... taking something you love on the salt means rust / corrosion... lots of it..!

Cheers..!!

Ron
16-03-2010, 04:26 AM
Find Reply