Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
18-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: 1967 Replica Trophy on e-bay
(18-05-2010, 10:39 AM)ian huntly Wrote: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...:MESELX:IT

Ian, I find this sad from two points of view.

Firstly, that the lad is willing to sell his Dad's achievement - this should have stayed in the family as a treasured record.

Secondly, there's at least one bidder so far.

This is a very sad person - I have to say that under no circumstances would I have and display (I assume that it will be displayed) such an item unless I myself had won it.

Icon_frown Icon_frown Icon_frown
18-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Find Reply
Arthur Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
(18-05-2010, 11:28 AM)larryd Wrote:
(18-05-2010, 10:39 AM)ian huntly Wrote: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...:MESELX:IT

Ian, I find this sad from two points of view.

Firstly, that the lad is willing to sell his Dad's achievement - this should have stayed in the family as a treasured record.

Secondly, there's at least one bidder so far.

This is a very sad person - I have to say that under no circumstances would I have and display (I assume that it will be displayed) such an item unless I myself had won it.

Icon_frown Icon_frown Icon_frown

Fully agree Larry The only justification for selling a family trophy is if you donate the proceeds to a charity linked to that trophy.
A few years back I was friends locally here with a footballer,sadly passed away, who sold an F.A. Cup winners medal he had won to pay for the next bottle of gin.
19-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Find Reply
PeterCourtney Offline

Threads: 15
With respect, the opinions expressed here are a bit high and mighty? We have no idea about the financial circumstances of the seller, and maybe his father is able to help him out, although no longer with us.
I have a few replicas, and am proud to have them, but at the end of the day they have no real use. Most competitors paid out large sums to race, and prize money was not fantastic years ago. When you see that this trophy sold for over £500, it does make one think.....
MGP '68 & '69; TT 1970-74
31-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
I do find it sad that the replica is being sold, however it is the lads choice and maybe his dads too?
I have a nice MGP Winners replica that I won a few years ago but my wife and kids have and had no interest in racing at all and did not want me to race. If I don't sell it first then I will leave it to my kids and if they wish to sell it (after all it means less to them than it does to me) then they have my blessing to do so.
Do I assume that from the early comments in this thread that neither of you would go and visit a private museum with a collection of replicas, bikes, trophies etc, collected by a collector to be viewed by others?
It is after all the selling of these trophies that enables the rest of us to see them is it not?
Surely better that than sit in the loft gathering dust?
If anybody does wish to see a very nice collection, including my MGP replica then I believe it can be seen at Mannin Collections Castle St, Peel.
Regards
Russ
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
31-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
(31-05-2010, 05:08 PM)The Bag Wrote: I do find it sad that the replica is being sold, however it is the lads choice and maybe his dads too?
I have a nice MGP Winners replica that I won a few years ago but my wife and kids have and had no interest in racing at all and did not want me to race. If I don't sell it first then I will leave it to my kids and if they wish to sell it (after all it means less to them than it does to me) then they have my blessing to do so.
Do I assume that from the early comments in this thread that neither of you would go and visit a private museum with a collection of replicas, bikes, trophies etc, collected by a collector to be viewed by others?
It is after all the selling of these trophies that enables the rest of us to see them is it not?
If anybody does wish to see a very nice collection, including my MGP replica then I believe it can be seen at Mannin Collections Castle St, Peel.
Regards
Russ

Well said Russ
I agree with everything. I have quite a few reps, and you can't tell someone who hasn't got any how hard they are to win. Yet, they only mean anything to me. My two daughters will one day have the rather irksome task of selling them off, plus an RC30, RG500, and a TZ350 E. I can tell you, I didn't feel that way when I was winning them, but I do now.
31-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

(31-05-2010, 05:30 PM)NickJ Wrote:
(31-05-2010, 05:08 PM)The Bag Wrote: I do find it sad that the replica is being sold, however it is the lads choice and maybe his dads too?
Regards
Russ

Well said Russ
I agree with everything. I have quite a few reps, and you can't tell someone who hasn't got any how hard they are to win. Yet, they only mean anything to me. My two daughters will one day have the rather irksome task of selling them off, plus an RC30, RG500, and a TZ350 E. I can tell you, I didn't feel that way when I was winning them, but I do now.

RC30 RG 500 Nick I'll swap them for my soul? I'll throw thr rep in for free, then you'll have 2 ;-)
31-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
You have no soul Russ! No deal!
Only joking, yer a good lad.
Have you still got your winning bike?
01-06-2010, 12:40 AM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

I could borrow a soul from someone else? anybody else in fact, just name the soul you want ;-)

Have I still got the bike I won on?
Most of it I think yes.

I got it from MB via Matt Jackson who got it via Bud Jackson Dodgy
It had been used for a few years after I won on it so the bodywork isn't the original, nor the cylinders, as for the rest I think that is all from the bike I won on.

I got it back as a complete bike but then stripped it down ready to restore and currently it is in boxes in the garage awaiting my attentions Icon_eek

Back onto the original topic in the thread about selling Reps, I, know doubt like you Nick wanted to win a Manx and getting that rep meant everything.

The rep these days (not that I've seen it for about 12years as I loaned it to Alan Kelly for his collection/display) means far less but the memories Nick always bring a shiver to my spine, a smile to my face and still get the adrenalin rushing. I suspect that is something that nobody can nor will ever take away. The memories are everything to me.
Do you feel the same?
Russ
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2010, 03:51 PM by The Bag.)
01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
I am late to chime in here... but my thoughts would be that someone with deep pockets would buy it with the understanding that once the Lad's financial situation improved, he could buy it back... that would be the honorable thing to do... IMNSHO.

OK, Sir Nick.. are either of your daughters single..??? Smile Nice to of met you at last year's MGP... hope to see you again this summer...!!!

Cheers..!!

Ron - The Yank... from California to the IOM... Long live the TT and MGP..!!
01-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
Each to their own, I guess.

Nowhere near the same, I know, but I'm not that bothered if my boys want to junk my rally trophies in years to come! Don't get me wrong, I am very proud of the championship I won, but I still won it whether I have the trophies or not.

I'd hope replicas are treasured more though. A replica is a huge achievement.
12-06-2010, 10:28 PM
Find Reply