TT Lap of honour
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
TT Lap of honour
On fri week, there is a Suzuki lap of honour, to clebrate Suzukis 50th TT, heading the parade is Moto GP Star and works Suzuki rider, LORIS CAPIROSSI( LC), followed by Nick Jeffries, who will ride one of David Jeffries bikes.
I have een lucky enough have got an entry for this, and I will be riding my 1000 suzuki, as i raced in the clubmans a few years ago, this bike was raced by the Late Great Richard Britton in the 2002 Production TT Races, where he finished top Irish rider home in 7th place, the race was won by David Jeffries.
Richard had an ave speed of 117mph.
When Richard rode in this race, he rode under No 17, AND Guess what No the organizers gave me for the Parade Lap?
Yes, youve guessed it, NO 17!
This will be a double tribute for me,It is also 40 years since my first ever visit to the Isle of Man TT Races, and it was ironic, that on our way over to the Island yesterday, the Boat (not seacat) travelled around past the north of the Island, just as it did 40 years ago, AND it was Foggy on entering Douglas, just as it was 40 years ago!
This was also one of the reasons I done my helmet up the way it is, as, It is a replica of my childhood heros, Brian Steenson, who tragically lost his life during the senior TT , 40 years ago.
Baylon

[Image: a005.jpg]

[Image: a021.jpg]

[Image: a035.jpg]

ps,Any pics would be greatly appreciated
regards
Baylon
04-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Website Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
RE: TT Lap of honour
Wow!
What a great experience you'll have.
Will pass on any pix I get!
Enjoy yourself.
B
....scone out to take photos!
04-06-2010, 11:35 AM
Find Reply
The Bag Offline

Threads: 14
(04-06-2010, 10:07 AM)Baylon McCaughey Wrote: On fri week, there is a Suzuki lap of honour, to clebrate Suzukis 50th TT, heading the parade is Moto GP Star and works Suzuki rider, LORIS CAPIROSSI( LC), followed by Nick Jeffries, who will ride one of David Jeffries bikes.
I have een lucky enough have got an entry for this, and I will be riding my 1000 suzuki, as i raced in the clubmans a few years ago, this bike was raced by the Late Great Richard Britton in the 2002 Production TT Races, where he finished top Irish rider home in 7th place, the race was won by David Jeffries.
Richard had an ave speed of 117mph.
When Richard rode in this race, he rode under No 17, AND Guess what No the organizers gave me for the Parade Lap?
Yes, youve guessed it, NO 17!
This will be a double tribute for me,It is also 40 years since my first ever visit to the Isle of Man TT Races, and it was ironic, that on our way over to the Island yesterday, the Boat (not seacat) travelled around past the north of the Island, just as it did 40 years ago, AND it was Foggy on entering Douglas, just as it was 40 years ago!
This was also one of the reasons I done my helmet up the way it is, as, It is a replica of my childhood heros, Brian Steenson, who tragically lost his life during the senior TT , 40 years ago.
Baylon

[Image: a005.jpg]

[Image: a021.jpg]

[Image: a035.jpg]

ps,Any pics would be greatly appreciated
regards
Baylon

I hope you have a great time Baylon!!!!
Meanwhile back on planet earth..........
05-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Website Find Reply
pykey Offline

Threads: 88
take it easy baylon is the wee lady riding pillion?
Roll on Kells 2010
06-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
Apologies for only getting to reply to this again, been so busysince the TT, I had the Bush road races, week after the TT, Done a load of work round the house last weekend, getting bike ready for mondelo park this sunday, have to skip racing at skerries, bit short of funds!), but here i what i thought of my parade lap at the TT;

Now I may be moving off the actual topic of the original posting here, But These are My Thoughts on the Suzuki Parade Lap!;
While, I Felt honoured to have been given the oppurtunity to participate in this anniversary lap, and to get riding under no 17, which was the no of which, Richard Britton rode the 2002 Production TT with, and it was on Richards bike, that i was to do the parade lap on (more of this later!)
This Honour cost me (and others) £200.00!, and in return, we were given a certificate!, just like what my we nephews got yesterday for their school sports!
When I had the honour of competing in the Honda 40th anniversary lap a few years ago, we were invited for a civic reception with the top people, we all recieved a special plaque in memeory of the lap, presented by the great Luigi Traveri. ( and I hadnt to pay for that lap either!)
I am not begrudging the payment, as I do know it was for a good cause.
As for the quality of the parade lap, Yes, there were a few stars, Nick being one of them, Michael Laverty a good friend of mine , he wasnt even on the programme, and i understand he only knew of his run, the day before!, and he NEVER had been around the TT circuit before!
I would have thought there would have been a better depth of quality, where were the likes of frormer suzuki stars, such as Mick grant,Graeme Crosby,Phil Read,Steve Cull,Dennis Ireland, etc?, surely thats the type of guys that should have been invited, i did see Stuart Graham, couldnt he have got a run on something!
It was nice to see a few RG500S, but i honestly thought there would have been loads more, Gixers etc,
Anyway, My Dissappointment! about 20 mins before the off, I was told of a problem with my machine!, a sharp eyed person, whom I beleive from the MSS Kawasaki camp, spooted a crack, on my fork leg, just above the axle!, so this bike was going to be a Non Runner!
Gutted would be an understatement, but at the same time, when i realised the danger, I think i was relieved, and this seemed to overcome my dissappointment, so, it was panic stations to look for another machine (preferably a suzuki!), as so to be within the suzuki parade!.
THANKSto Mark Hamilton of IRISH BIKE (Irish motorcycle newspaper) and also to Jimmy Vanderharr and Brandon Cretu, they unloaded their van, got the 600 suzuki, that Brandon rode in his TT debut,put the bike through scrutiny etc, while i got the necessary paperwork changed.
We made it to the line in good enough time.
As i waited patiently, i lined up, ready for my lap, i was then held at the line for what seemed a long time, and then, Mark Miller on the Electric bike was sent out in front of me!, a min alter it was my turn, away i went, trough st ninians, down bray hill , Brilliant, I overtook Mark Miller and the travelling amrshalls at Quarter Bridge,and from ther on, it was a slow tour! I spent my time waving to the enthuastic crowds lining the circuit, and at the same time, having to keep an eye on fellow partcicpants of the parade lap, despite being told at the breifing, Bunching up would NOT happen, well, it DID, BIG TIME!.
Coming into Ramsay, my gear lever dropped off!, leaving me stuck in third gear!, to give you an idea of our speed, despite not revving the wee bike out compeletly (didnt want to blow up another persons machine), i was able to keep up with the guys in front of me from Ramsay to the finish!(ok, lost ground at hairpin and governers!).
Anyway My Lap completed, Great i really enjoyed the expirience, but unlike the Honda parade lap, we were ushered back into the paddock, and it was like Cheerio!!, i returend the bike to its owner,w ent back up the paddock to meet other riders of the parade lap, but couldnt see any of the stars that i wanted to see!, dunno where they went!
I felt that i didnt get to participate with the suzuki riders, also, when i seen the pic of Michael Laverty in the air at Ballaugh Bridge, bloody ell, they must have had a we bit of speed on!, we certainly didnt have that speed!!! now i wasnt out for a fast lap, my idea of the lap was at a fast enough speed, to be within my capabilities, and at same time, have time to acknowledge the crowds!
Next evening i was walking down the prom on Douglas, and I met Luigi traveri, i stopped and we had a we chat, he told me, he was going for a walk down the promenade, just as he did when he first came to the IOM!, "I am 80 yrs of age now, i dont think I will be coming ack here anymore, I am getting old!, I am having a we walk down the promenade just as i did when i first acme here, its a nice memeory!"
I asked him, did he enjoy his parade lap, he replied; " Yes, it was good, But too slow, tto slow!" now thats coming from an 80 year old!!
Would I do it again?
Yes, part of me wants to do what I set out to do, Ride Richard bike around the TT circuit in memeory of someone, who was not only a great rider , but a great friend.
RIP Richard
PS, I hope i didnt bore yous with this posting.
I Will post a pic of the offending part sometime, only got my bike back from TT last night!
Baylon
http://www.irishracephotography.com (approx 400 plus TT 2010 Photos on my site)
(This post was last modified: 29-06-2010, 09:43 PM by Baylon McCaughey.)
29-06-2010, 09:35 PM
Website Find Reply