TT-More variation in classes needed ?
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
RE: TT-More variation in classes needed ?
Jo,

Yes, perhaps somebody with the knowledge could tell us, Bill Snelling, perhaps ? according to Wikipedia and a couple of books that I have just looked at. the mountain circuit was started in 1911, and was 37.733 miles in length. Pleas can somebody clear this up.?.
28-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
They definitely used the Mountain from 1911, just not exactly as it is today.
28-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
(28-06-2010, 10:49 PM)Jo Rowe Wrote: They definitely used the Mountain from 1911, just not exactly as it is today.

Hi Jo!

From 1911 to 1914 inclusive, you are right in that riders turned right at Cronk-ny-Mona, went down Johnny Watterson's Lane to Ballanard Road, turned left and went to the top of Bray Hill where they went right and down the hill.

Like you, I don't think that the mileage was a lot different from today.
29-06-2010, 12:00 AM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Thanks Larry!! So, I do still have some brain cells left that work! I AM pleased!
(This post was last modified: 29-06-2010, 03:40 PM by Jo Rowe.)
29-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
The course took a slightly different route through Ramsey..

Not a lot of people know that

(Michael Caine)
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
30-06-2010, 09:22 PM
Website Find Reply
deejay51 Offline

Threads: 9
Wow, Ian, Jo and all others on this thread. I raised this issue of 'lack of variation' two years ago and yes the difference between classes, capacities, engines of Sidecars etc. is almost non existant now. The issue of race number background (and foreground for 600s) is also so similar, the Senior should only have yellow background with black numbers.

I like the idea of a Classic TT, allowing a wide variety of machinery and SOUNDS to participate, no one to expect a 131mph ++ lap, just to enjoy the variation and sound of a very different class during the TT.
01-07-2010, 01:13 AM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
(01-07-2010, 01:13 AM)deejay51 Wrote: I like the idea of a Classic TT, allowing a wide variety of machinery and SOUNDS to participate, no one to expect a 131mph ++ lap, just to enjoy the variation and sound of a very different class during the TT.

I think you ought to come back here from August 21 to September 3 this year!

The reason the Manx has changed from the island's best-kept secret into an internationally renowned Classic motorcycling fortnight is precisely that. You have classic bike sights and sounds on the Mountain, modern and classic trials, a big Vintage Club Rally - just remember to pack your waterproofs and thermals!
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
01-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Website Find Reply
irishago Offline

Correct me if im wrong but from reading verious books over the years , the original mountain course did indeed turn right at Cronk Na Mona down JW,s lane left onto Balanard Road and right at what they then called Park Field Corner the Top of Bray Hill. I believe the Start and Finish was located just After Ago.s at that time............ But reading some where else i think it would be a really great Idea to have a Senior Classic Race as they did back in 1984 to bring in the 100 year of the mountain course Ciao Irish Ago....
01-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(01-07-2010, 06:45 PM)irishago Wrote: Correct me if im wrong but from reading verious books over the years , the original mountain course did indeed turn right at Cronk Na Mona down JW,s lane left onto Balanard Road and right at what they then called Park Field Corner the Top of Bray Hill. I believe the Start and Finish was located just After Ago.s at that time............ But reading some where else i think it would be a really great Idea to have a Senior Classic Race as they did back in 1984 to bring in the 100 year of the mountain course Ciao Irish Ago....

Who do you have to persuade regarding the race programe etc. PF, or loads of em.
01-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Find Reply
beepee Offline

Threads: 23
I haven't read all the posts on this topic but to my mind what is available to race these days does not constitute enough variation to justify 2 weeks of practice/racing.

Much better to have 600,1000,sidecars and get the whole thing over and done with in a week.

Whoops does that sound a little bit like the NW200,no chairs admittedly but what a successful show they put on.

Doing that might just shut up the whingers from the finance/comeover brigade as well.
01-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 40
(01-07-2010, 10:05 PM)beepee Wrote: I haven't read all the posts on this topic but to my mind what is available to race these days does not constitute enough variation to justify 2 weeks of practice/racing.

Much better to have 600,1000,sidecars and get the whole thing over and done with in a week.

Whoops does that sound a little bit like the NW200,no chairs admittedly but what a successful show they put on.

Doing that might just shut up the whingers from the finance/comeover brigade as well.

Dear God no....and in case I haven't made myself clear, NO!!! All that does is absolve the organisers from showing any imagination. Perhaps you SHOULD read the topic in full - you might find something you like the sound of. Besides, it's my belief that newcomers need every bit of practice week to get acquainted with the place. For me the fact that the two events on the Mountain Course are fortnight long meetings is what makes them special and elevates them above any other......
01-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Totally agree with Sticky. Even if I find each fortnight harder and longer to get over! I suspect old age is arriving!
02-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Find Reply
deejay51 Offline

Threads: 9
Hi Bill,

I appreciate your comment about the Manx, I have never attended the Manx and currently do not have the funds to allow two trips per year. I have looked with envy at the 'manxgrandprix' site, it all looks like a great event in it's own right.

I truly believe there does need to be some color/variation in classes at the TT and by that I mean a class or classes where 600/1000 current spec 4's are dare I say, banned regardless of solo/sidecar configurations!!
02-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Part of the attraction of the Manx AND the TT is the whole week of practising. It gives all riders whether Newcomers or experienced, the opportunity to learn the course, and sort out problems. For the spectator there is time to sightsee, and my God, there is so much to see, to enjoy a proper holiday, and still get into a different vantage point each evening.
You can't do that at the Ulster or the NW200 to the same extent, yet they have their attractions in a different way.
If you go to the trouble of travelling to the Island, it's well worth having more than two or three days if you possibly can.
I'm still excited at the prospect of watching racing at any level around the Mountain circuit, I rarely get stirred by the short circuits.
However this thread is meant to be about the variation in classes, and as has already been said, there needs to be a serious look at them, as they are in danger of becoming banal. I'm sure they could squeeze in a twins class. I will be very surprised if the accumulator (sorry electric) TT is run again.
02-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Find Reply