SYKES AND VERMEULEN HOPE FOR ANOTHER ITALIAN JOB
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
SYKES AND VERMEULEN HOPE FOR ANOTHER ITALIAN JOB
[Image: pbmracing.gif]

The 2010 Hannspree World Superbike Championship returns after a short break when round eight of the thirteen round series heads for the Misano Adriatica circuit on the Italian Riviera this forthcoming weekend.

Returning to Italy for the second time out of three visits this year is the Kawasaki Racing Team who is hoping for a repeat of the performance last time they were in the country. Then, back at Monza three rounds ago, Huddersfield rider Tom Sykes scored his best performances in both qualifying and racing aboard the Paul Bird Motorsport Team's factory Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R whilst Aussie Chris Vermeulen also got his campaign back on track following injury.

Sykes posted eighth during qualifying and backed that up with a superb ninth in the opening race but better was to come when he rocketed to fifth place in race two to score his best finish of the season to date for the Penrith-based team.

For his part, former MotoGP race winner Vermeulen, despite still struggling with the knee injury sustained in the first race, battled at Monza and recorded his best results of the season also at the time.

However since then, it's been hard going for both Sykes and Vermeulen with minimal points during the last two rounds at Kyalami and Miller so both riders are hoping that a return to Europe will help elevate themselves from their respective 15th and 19th places in the series standings.

Tom Sykes:

"Coming away from the Miller race wasn't so good for us as the results were not what we were expecting but we are continuing to make progress with the ZX-10R machine and learning all the time. I'm happy with the team and the way we work together as we know that when we find a good direction, we make the most of it. I'm looking forward to Misano, it's a really nice track and I enjoy racing here. I will start fresh after the recent break and will look forward to seeing what we can achieve. I have high expectations of myself and the team so it's just about finding the combination to make the package strong and seeing what we can get out of the bike. Hopefully we can make another step forward."

Chris Vermeulen:

"I've had some decent results at the Misano circuit over the years with a mix of podiums in WSB, WSS and MotoGP but never the top step. Unfortunately I don't think this year we'll have the package to reach the top step of the podium but I do hope that I will be able to make a significant leap up as the four-week break has done me good. My injured knee is coming along and I've been working hard on my training and physio treatments in Australia since Miller so I'm looking forward to seeing what Misano brings us. The Misano event is always a favourite amongst fans with the sunshine and Italian passion for racing so I hope we can put on a good show and improve on our current form."

Television Coverage (British Eurosport 2 unless stated)

Saturday 26th June

14.00 - 15.00 Superpole LIVE
16.30 - 17.30 Superpole Highlights
17.00 - 17.30 Superstock 600 LIVE
22.55 - 23.55 Superpole Highlights (British Eurosport)

Sunday 27th June

08.30 - 09.30 Superpole Highlights
09.30 - 15.30 Superstock 1000, WSB and World Supersport LIVE
20.45 - 22.15 Superstock 1000, WSB and World Supersport Highlights

British Eurosport is available in the UK on Sky channel 410 and Virgin Media channel 521 or British Eurosport 2 available on Sky 411 and Virgin Media 525. Also available on your PC via the Eurosport Player.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
22-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Website Find Reply