Michael Laverty Outguns Series Leader Tommy Hill
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Michael Laverty Outguns Series Leader Tommy Hill
[Image: bsblogo.jpg]

Michael Laverty is ready to take the fight to MCE Insurance British Superbike Championship leader Tommy Hill in the fifth round at Mallory Park after taking top spot on the free practice leaderboard.

Riding Relentless Suzuki, Laverty is currently third in the title stakes, 45 points down on Hill, but he is keen to build on his recent maiden victory in the top flight at Oulton Park to boost his title hopes.

“I am feeling really positive about these races and reckon that we can squeeze more out of the bike,” explained Laverty, after his 56.115secs lap, adding “We went better than first anticipated as there are a lot of other teams who have tested here ahead of these races whereas we arrived and then straight out of the box it just clicked.”

Laverty knows that he will have a fight on his hands, having run barely a tenth of a second up on Worx Crescent Suzuki rider Hill who was quickly dialled into the demands of the short Leicestershire circuit.

He is keen to make up ground lost by his first race tumble in the previous round at Cadwell Park, the only blot on a consistent record of finishing every other race in the top three.

“At this stage in the championship we’re there to be caught,” said Hill, adding: “I’ve been speaking to other riders who have been in this situation in their championships, so I’m mindful of not putting too much pressure on myself. In fact I feel very strong and I’m here to get the wins.”

Ryuichi Kiyonari, the former two times winner of the British crown, ran his HM Plant Honda third fastest, with a lap in 56.525secs, as he prepares for races in which he needs a strong points haul to put his title challenge back on track, but, he has to deal with what could become a Laverty family affair.

John, the elder brother of Michael, put his Buildbase Kawasaki into fourth place, with a lap in 56.551secs, underlining his determination to take a second podium finish of the season on his team’s home circuit.

Michael Rutter, a winner here a couple of years earlier, was again on the pace, fifth fastest on the RidersMotorcycles.com Ducati, to be ahead of Swan Honda’s Stuart Easton. The Scot had a technical problem during the morning session and then worked on settings next time out, to be marginally faster than Quay Garage Honda rider Tommy Bridewell.

Josh Brookes, fresh from his Superstock winning double of last Sunday in the MotoGP support races at Silverstone, and his victory in the previous BSB round at Cadwell Park, was disappointed to be back in eighth place on the leaderboard, though his best lap was only 0.774secs down on that of Michael Laverty.

Yukio Kagayama, returning from back injuries sustained in the Oulton Park round, set ninth best time on the second Worx Crescent Suzuki, ahead of Motorpoint Yamaha’s Dan Linfoot, whose new team-mate, twice World Supersport Champion Andrew Pitt ran thirteenth adrift of Gary Mason, riding MSS Colchester Kawasaki and Karl Harris, making a one off return to the series on the East Coast Yamaha.

Steve Brogan, riding Jentin BMW, looks set to take over the lead in the chase for honours in the Mirror.co.uk BSB-EVO category running some two seconds faster than Hudson Kennaugh who had a problematic time aboard the MAR Kawasaki on which he is defending a slender six points lead in the standings.

For the record

Top ten fastest times in Friday free practice
Michael Laverty (Relentless Suzuki by TAS) 56.115s
Tommy Hill (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +0.119s
Ryuichi Kiyonari (HM Plant Honda) +0.410s
John Laverty (Buildbase Kawasaki) +0.436s
Michael Rutter (Ridersmotorcycles.com Ducati) +0.699s
Stuart Easton (Swan Honda) +0.761s
Tommy Bridewell (Quay Garage Honda) +0.774s
Josh Brookes (HM Plant Honda) +0.793s
Yukio Kagayama (Worx Crescent Suzuki) +0.830s
Dan Linfoot (Motorpoint Yamaha) +0.862s

Superbike lap record
Ryuichi Kiyonari, Honda, 55.845secs, 90.89mph (2007)

Superbikes on Track

Saturday 26 June
10.50-11.40 Free practice
15.00-15.56 Swan Combi Roll for Pole

Sunday 27 June
10.00-10.15 Warm up practice
13.25 Race one – 30 laps
16.15 Race two – 30 laps

Superbikes on Television

Sunday 27 June

British Eurosport 2
13.00-14.30 and 15.30-18.00 Live raceday
21.15-22.25 Highlights

Flashback – Sunday 19 July – round seven

Race one – 22 laps
1 J Ellison, Yamaha
2 L Camier, Yamaha
3 G Gowland, Yamaha
Race two – 15 laps
1 L Camier – Yamaha
2 J Ellison – Yamaha
3 C Walker – Yamaha
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
26-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Website Find Reply