Mountain Course length
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
Mountain Course length
I see the debate still rages about the length of the Mountain course. How about the DoTT putting the funds from the accumulator TT into getting an accurate length?
Next years sees the 100th anniversary of the Mountain Course, Peel author David Wright is compiling a fascinating history of its history.
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
02-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Website Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
RE: Mountain Course length
(02-07-2010, 10:35 PM)Bill Snelling Wrote: I see the debate still rages about the length of the Mountain course. How about the DoTT putting the funds from the accumulator TT into getting an accurate length?
Next years sees the 100th anniversary of the Mountain Course, Peel author David Wright is compiling a fascinating history of its history.

Bill, I have no doubt that the IOM surveyors department know exactly, perhaps to the inch, the length of the TT mountain circuit. Perhaps I should ask them !
02-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Find Reply
desmophile Offline

Threads: 1
(02-07-2010, 11:05 PM)pat slinn Wrote:
(02-07-2010, 10:35 PM)Bill Snelling Wrote: I see the debate still rages about the length of the Mountain course. How about the DoTT putting the funds from the accumulator TT into getting an accurate length?

Bill, I have no doubt that the IOM surveyors department know exactly, perhaps to the inch, the length of the TT mountain circuit. Perhaps I should ask them !

I've seen many suggested methods of measuring the course including scaling off maps, odometer readings, gps etc but in my opinion as realistic a method as any would be to drag a calibrated trundle wheel around behind a car. Repeat three or four times, average the readings and see what you get. I've been meaning to do it for several years but as usual life got in the way.

Of course, the most accurate method would be to observe a traverse by total station right round the course detailing the centreline as you go. I estimate I could do it in 8 days and I'm more than happy to provide a quote if asked. I would suggest June or August as being ideal times!
17-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
Know what you mean about life getting in the way! I keep meaning to get the rally car with trip meter on and measure it too. Can't fit the kids' baby seats in the back of the rally car though, so that seriously reduces the time I could be doing it!!!!

Bill, as it's 100 years of the mountain course next year, shouldn't the measuring be down Johnny Watterson' Lane and along Ballanard Road? And then measure again for 2014!
17-07-2010, 10:37 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
Quarry Bends, Windy Corner, Brandish - it's not the TT course it was!
The year they removed Brandish was when a new Mountain Course lap record should have been introduced.
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
17-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
Definitely not the course it was!

Someone I was talking to at the Southern this week referred to the lay by at Quarry Bends. He was shocked when I said that was the original corner!!

Of course, it's much more difficult to get out and measure the course ourselves, now we can't do the bit from the Nook and round Governor's.
17-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(17-07-2010, 11:06 PM)Jo Rowe Wrote: Definitely not the course it was!

Someone I was talking to at the Southern this week referred to the lay by at Quarry Bends. He was shocked when I said that was the original corner!!

Of course, it's much more difficult to get out and measure the course ourselves, now we can't do the bit from the Nook and round Governor's.

I contacted (by email) the IOM highways board and asked them if they knew the correct length of the TT mountain circuit. They telephoned back to ask me why I needed to know, anyway after a I explained why I wanted to know, ( general interest, alteration of course etc) i was refereed to either Paul Phillips, or Paul Moore, within a very short time I had received a email from Paul Moore telling me that he did not know when the circuit was last measured, and it is 37.73 miles in length. S thats official then.
18-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Find Reply