Read what this ex top rider has to say

http://www.waynegardnerapproved.com.au/wr12.htm
02-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
RE: Should TT be Banned
Another motorcycle racer from another race discipline who was a guest of the TT a few years back who "thought it awesome" after doing a lap.

I won't get involved with this rant yet look forward to other opinions on the matter.

Or will we leave well alone ??
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
03-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
I can't be bothered to argue the point, except to say that I think anyone who wants to race the TT course has the right to do so.

Oh and it goes without saying that I don't think he can comment as he has no experience of the TT.
03-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Find Reply
boakesey Away

Threads: 65
Same old, same old....

Yawn!.........
....scone out to take photos!
03-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Find Reply
irishago Offline

Another one hit wonder Voices his opinion on the TT Races. Most of us lesser mortals Race the mountain Course because we love it and know only to well the risks involved, so stick to what you know Mr Gardner V8 Car Racing in Auz its just about your style........Irish Ago
03-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Website Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
I totally respect Wayne as a motorcycle racer and a person. A first class rider who still competes on two wheels and is still successful. Unlike some ex riders, who, once they retire disappear from the scene, Wayne is heavily involved in motorcycling both in Australia and competes in an event overseas, however, I certainly do not agree with him on this matter. Some people can adapt to both circuit and road racing, some can't. For the reasons he stated Wayne didn't want to and is obviously very anti TT.
Yes, Ago, Wayne did race V8's many years ago and was quite handy behind the wheel but he now supports his two sons who appear to have a great motorcycling future.
04-07-2010, 06:08 AM
Find Reply
Chris Maybury Offline

Threads: 1
Such statistics need to be taken in context.

The following link reveals some interesting facts Icon_eek

http://www.rock-climbing-for-life.com/mo...eaths.html

Quote:
A study was conducted from 1921 through 2006 to examine the mortality rate amongst climbers of Mount Everest. It was conducted by the British Medical Journal and gave these statistics: 8,030 climbers during this time frame, of which 212 died on the mountain. That is a staggering number of Mount Everest deaths!
Unquote.

It would be interesting to know just how many riders have competed in the TT / MGP since 1907.
***A Balanced Meal is a FULL PINT in Each Hand***
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM by Chris Maybury.)
04-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
(04-07-2010, 04:45 PM)Chris Maybury Wrote: Such statistics need to be taken in context.

The following link reveals some interesting facts Icon_eek

http://www.rock-climbing-for-life.com/mo...eaths.html

Quote:
A study was conducted from 1921 through 2006 to examine the mortality rate amongst climbers of Mount Everest. It was conducted by the British Medical Journal and gave these statistics: 8,030 climbers during this time frame, of which 212 died on the mountain. That is a staggering number of Mount Everest deaths!
Unquote.

It would be interesting to know just how many riders have competed in the TT / MGP since 1907.

You cant compare the deaths on Mount Everest to the TT, most of the deaths on Everest are not witnessed by Joe Public and the Local Population is not forced or inconvenienced with the deaths. It was interesting to note that your statistics for Everest included all yet the statistics for the TT don't include all, how many spectators have been killed at the TT, MGP etc. How many Locals have been killed at the IOM races doing their ordinary day to day thing.
I love Road Racing and the IOM races but I cant stand the earache I get from the wife and many others because they cant get home from work or go shopping. I would also say (my own opinion) that the worlds press that attend the TT are more interested in fatalities that the racing itself, we have had a couple of local soldiers killed from here while on active service did their funeral get the headline news on, BBC and ITV no.
And Wayne is spot on in his comment that the top riders or those that cant quite make it at the carparks only race here for the Money, how much start or prize money is paid out at BSB, meetings that charge spectators big bucks just to get in.
04-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

George, there must be so few people who can't get home from work or go shopping on the island. Almost every single house is accessible. So it takes a bit longer. It's no big deal.

I for one don't want to live in a nanny state, telling us what we can and can't do. I think we're well and truly on our way! And if you did ban the TT, then the next step would be to ban other road races, Southern 100, Irish road racing, etc.. Following on from that, short circuits would be next on the agenda and so we would eventually lose all racing - even the kind that made Wayne Gardner famous in the first instance!

I also take umbridge at his comments regarding people doing the TT being rejects from short circuits. I would not consider Paul Dobbs or Martin Loicht to fit in that category at all and find it completely disrespectful
04-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
06-07-2010, 04:54 PM
Find Reply