Reduced classic entries
Manx Badger Offline

Threads: 10
Reduced classic entries
Just bought my programme today. Very excited when I found it in the newsagents, it's out a lot sooner than I thought...

I'm sure that like me, many of you have been following the entries as they are received on manxgrandprix.org but I was nonetheless a bit disappointed (to say the least) to open to the race guide and find that there are only 31 entrants in the Junior Classic and 50 in the Senior.

What's going on? I know there has been a gradual annual decline but in terms of grid numbers this is the worst entry I can ever remember. We've lost half a SC field in 5 years. I wonder if it's because people are running a Post-Classic bike instead and feel they haven't got the practice time? Or is the Manx just getting too expensive?

Thoughts appreciated.

Regards
Badger
08-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Find Reply
chris Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Reduced classic entries
(08-08-2010, 10:45 PM)Manx Badger Wrote: Just bought my programme today. Very excited when I found it in the newsagents, it's out a lot sooner than I thought...

I'm sure that like me, many of you have been following the entries as they are received on manxgrandprix.org but I was nonetheless a bit disappointed (to say the least) to open to the race guide and find that there are only 31 entrants in the Junior Classic and 50 in the Senior.

What's going on? I know there has been a gradual annual decline but in terms of grid numbers this is the worst entry I can ever remember. We've lost half a SC field in 5 years. I wonder if it's because people are running a Post-Classic bike instead and feel they haven't got the practice time? Or is the Manx just getting too expensive?

Thoughts appreciated.

Regards
Badger

I think it is a combination of items.1)Sadly many of the Classic riders have just older, and no longer race. 2)Mountain Course Licence-I agree with it in theory, but maybe the 6 signatures/meetings qualification could be reduced to 3-?. 3)The cost of getting to the IOM, maybe increase the discount for the ferry journey.
08-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Find Reply
shipleymanx Offline

Threads: 30
(08-08-2010, 11:37 PM)chris Wrote:
(08-08-2010, 10:45 PM)Manx Badger Wrote: Just bought my programme today. Very excited when I found it in the newsagents, it's out a lot sooner than I thought...

Thoughts appreciated.

Regards
Badger

I think it is a combination of items.1)Sadly many of the Classic riders have just older, and no longer race. 2)Mountain Course Licence-I agree with it in theory, but maybe the 6 signatures/meetings qualification could be reduced to 3-?. 3)The cost of getting to the IOM, maybe increase the discount for the ferry journey.

I am just in the last throws of getting every thing together and even now the cost are just escalating. If i ever sat down and thought what the manx cost, i wouldn't be able to afford it. I have said on many occasions that i don't think people in the know realise what it takes to get to the manx. i have been working from well before xmas, getting the bikes ready, planning rebuilds etc. You just don't have to do this amount of effort for short circuits. Having said that i wouldn't miss it for the world. We need some help.
09-08-2010, 08:04 AM
Find Reply
Baylon McCaughey Offline

Threads: 141
I LOVE THE CLASSIC RACES AT THE mgp, bUT HAVE TO ADMIT, OVER THE PAST FEW YRS THE NOS ARE DOWN, ITS A PITY REALY
11-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Website Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

This is only my opinion, and I know not all agree with all of it, but my 2p's worth is:

1. Increasing costs and reducing track time
2. Riders getting older and retiring
3. Cost and hassle of the Mountain Course licence
4. Autocratic attitudes of some towards riders
5. Difficulty of winning a rep against current TT riders on superfast big-budget replica machines

To be honest, for all of the above reasons I retired in 2006, and I've been tempted back this year with the classic 750 class. However I will not be back again.

Doubtless this will please some who have no time for "Holiday Racers".
16-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
Tomcat, I agree with you... and may I add... (and hopefully someone pays attention)... that the Classic 750 needs to be run with a different race... Because just like with the Jr and Sr Classic, some guys could race two if not all three classes. Besides, this gives more "attention" to each class. Remember last year when the weather caused some last minute changes, they ran the Sr and Jr Classics together...MANY guys had to chose which one bike/class, this was a disaster for those that brought bikes for both classes..!

Cheers..!!

Ron - only 5 days until first practice..!!!
16-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
Unsupported rumour suggests that one of those alleged to be responsible in part for the reduced Classic entry list will not after all be riding . . . .

Confused
16-08-2010, 10:16 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Ron, it would be great if the Classic 750 and 500 could be run as separate races, but with the current 52 entries covering both those classes I doubt it would be viable. To be fair to the MMCC I think what they have done is the best way forward - run the two concurrently and if it is a success and the numbers grow then maybe they can look at additional races. But with a limit of around 110 riders they have a way to go yet!

I regret to say I can see it going the other way with numbers dwindling to a single combined classic event - which could be risky if fast 750s at the front come round to lap slow 250s and 350s starting later. And of course, as you quite rightly say riders who have a 500 and 350/250 would have to choose which to ride, further reducing numbers (and the attractiveness of the event to enter with only a single ride being possible).
17-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Website Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Hi All... well if I may be allowed to "cry in my beer"... there may be one less entry this year... The shipping company I hired has failed... and my racer is still sitting in a warehouse in the states.. Unless a miracle happens, we won't make it... SH**... If you do not see me, you know why... and be sure to have a LOT of fun. And if by some miracle I make it.. well, then I will be a happy guy.....

Ron
20-08-2010, 06:21 AM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
Oh Ron, noooooo!!! That's such bad news. So sorry to read this

Jo
20-08-2010, 10:25 AM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Hi Jo... we have not given up yet... there is still a glimmer of hope.. "if only" we can find an airplane to get the bike on to.... as I was told, this is peak season and finding space is difficult... but it may still happen...

Ron
20-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Warning... I am here.... arrived on the mid day sailing... watching first practice... Oh yea... nowhere else I would rather be...

Cheers..!!

Ron

(20-08-2010, 12:12 PM)Gstarron Wrote: Hi Jo... we have not given up yet... there is still a glimmer of hope.. "if only" we can find an airplane to get the bike on to.... as I was told, this is peak season and finding space is difficult... but it may still happen...

Ron
21-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Glad to see that you made it over Ron, is the Green Monster going to make an appearance then ?

Malcolm.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
21-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Oh fab news! Make sure you come and find me at scrutineering! Hope the bike makes it too.
21-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

OK, so I got to see and hear first practice.... I am NOT a pro.. but... hope you enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRkheL6ck1Q

Cheers..!!

Ron
22-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Find Reply
Manx Badger Offline

Great stuff Ron. Glad you made it over. The video sounds brilliant - nice spot too!
22-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Find Reply
Tomcat Offline

Yep glad you made it Ron. Ironically in the class that was looking good for me no joy as I had to retire due to a bad marshalling call. But that's racing, no sense crying over spilt milk but really not what I needed in my retirement event.

On a bigger subject, do we think there will be 2 classic races next year? I'd love to think the new 750 class, this year's good weather and the efforts the MMCC are making to promote the "MGP Festival" would encourage more people to come but has the rot set in too far? Have too many of us old holiday racers now retired? Has the course licence put too many people off? Have bikes like the Paton and MV discouraged anyone else who wanted a replica? (and yes I know both races this year were won by old-skool Aermacchis!)

If something dosn't change next year I can see there being just one Classic race and one Post-Classic race, as that class is growing strongly and (at the moment at least) isn't dominated by bikes ordinary blokes money can't buy. That's progress perhaps but I would be sorry to see the end of the clangers at the Manx.

The answer is in your hands folks, if you want to see the oldies get out and ride them.
07-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Website Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

I think your last line sums it up nicely.

Have to say, one of my favourite races of the week was the Senior Classic. I think 3rd place changed hands about 5 times on the last lap!
07-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Find Reply
arzed Offline

Threads: 9
Does anyone know why Ryan Farquhar did not take part this year?
08-09-2010, 02:00 PM
Find Reply
Jan Grainger Offline

Threads: 16
(08-09-2010, 02:00 PM)arzed Wrote: Does anyone know why Ryan Farquhar did not take part this year?
Ryan announced at the Ulster GP that he would not be competing in the Manx. His reasons were because of Lea Gourlay's accident in practice and related issues. He also withdrew from his final race in the meeting.
12-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Find Reply