Former racer's Greeves rejected for MGP 2010
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Former racer's Greeves rejected for MGP 2010
[Image: iomonlinegif.gif]
As reported by IOM Newspapers

A disabled former bike racer is unhappy after the bike he owns and prepares was rejected for this year's Manx Grand Prix races.
George Ridgeon, from Stroud in Gloucestershire, rode in the event himself between 1971 and 81 but since a fire service accident left him in a wheelchair has concentrated on supplying and preparing his Greeves for other riders to use.

'I am very disappointed the challenge to get the Greeves there and around the course has been taken away,' he said.

'I still like to get my hands dirty and so paying someone else a fortune when money is restricted is not an option and I would not get the same enjoyment if I were not involved in the preparation.'

Manx Grand Prix clerk of the course Phil Taubman said the principal concern was with the bike's speed.

'George has been a great supporter of the event over many years,' he said.

'He is an ex rider and he has never lost his enthusiasm for the event.
'But because the machine has not qualified for the last two years we don't think it is up to the mark.

'It is nothing personal. We are not turning George down it is just the bike. If he can find another bike that is fine but Greeves were never the best bikes, even in their day.'

Mr Taubman said by George's own admission no major work had been done to the bike since last year.

'So really there is no indication that it is any better this year than last year when it failed to qualify by minutes rather than seconds.

Unfortunately it is just not up to the standard of the event,' he said.

He added there were safety concerns if a bike was significantly slower than the rest of the field.

Without the incentive of having a bike entered into the MGP George is doubtful he will make it to this year's event.

'I wish the Manx Motorcycle Club all the best in running the Grand Prix,' he said.

'And I hope all new riders will get the pleasure out of it that I have had in the best amateur race in the world.'

This year would have been George's 40th year at the Manx and 30th year since he last rode.

He is a former president of the MGP Riders' Association and achieved a 24th placed finish in the 1972 Manx Grand Prix.
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
11-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Website Find Reply