TT Website Forum

Full Version: Cooper Cracks Top Twenty In Supersport TT
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: centurionhdr.jpg]

Dan Cooper and the Cornwall-based Centurion Racing team picked up their third bronze replica in as many races when they finished in a superb 20th place in this afternoon's Monster Energy Supersport Race Two at the Isle of Man TT.

With the initial race being red flagged on Wednesday due to rain, the race was re-scheduled for 12.15pm today and Dan claimed his best ever TT result to date, although the race was again not without drama.

A superb opening lap of 117.882mph on the 675cc Triumph Daytona saw Dan, from Stroud, slot into 21st place but just as he was making good progress up the leaderboard on the second lap, he was met by a red flag at Ramsey and pulled in. It soon transpired that the red flag had been shown in error so Dan, and a number of other riders, were allowed to continue, later being credited with the time lost.

Unsurprisingly, it unsettled his rhythm slightly although he never slipped lower than 22nd in the race and a flying last lap of 117.876mph meant Dan climbed back up to 20th place at the end of the four laps for yet another bronze replica.

[Image: DanCooperheadshot.jpg]

Speaking afterwards Dan said;

"I had a good, clean first lap although it didn't feel that fast but when I got to Ramsey on the second lap, I got the red flag so I pulled up, leant the bike against the wall and got off as did about five more riders. Michael Dunlop then went through at full racing speed and the commentator came out and said the red flag was put out by mistake so we all looked at each other, jumped back on and set off again! We lost about a minute in total and it was like having two pit stops so I took it steady to begin with to let the tyres get back up to speed and then had a real good go again on the final lap. I'm still a bit disappointed that my speeds haven't gone up as much as I would have liked but it'll come and the end result of 20th is brilliant. I'm just looking forward to a good, safe ride on the big bike tomorrow and ending the week on a positive note."

Team manager and owner Paul Rees added:

"I keep saying it but we're chuffed to bits with Dan and although the red flag obviously upset his rhythm, the organisers did the sensible thing and credited him with the time. To be on the edge of the top 20 on the first lap was a superb effort but we couldn't work out what had happened on the second lap as his transponder never moved beyond Ramsey. He got back up to 20th by the end though, which in just his second year, is a great ride and we couldn't be happier with Dan's riding. We've had no problems with the bike at all and the team has gelled so well, the fortnight so far has gone faultlessly. On and off the track, Dan's efforts are really pleasing and everyone's been saying how smooth he looks out on the circuit so there's a lot of potential there and plenty more to come. We're just looking forward to the Senior now and are hopeful of another strong result. A fourth bronze replica would be absolutely brilliant."

The Blue Riband event, the six-lap Pokerstars Senior TT, gets underway at 12.15pm tomorrow.

Centurion Racing will continue to show their support for Help for Heroes, their chosen charity, by displaying H4H logos on the bikes' new livery designed by Rage Designs and team attire. Dan's race helmet has been kindly donated by Arai and will be a one-off design by RichArt showing both the H4H and IOM TT logos. Team Principal Paul Rees, who spent 20 years in Her Majesty's Royal Marine Commandos, was given permission to have the bikes carry the H4H logos in order to encourage the public to be more aware of this charity that supports our Armed Forces, many of whom are making daily sacrifices in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Centurion Racing would specially like to thank Arai, FTR, GPR Racewear, Dunlop, Rage Designs, RichArt, R2 Logo Print & Embroidery, Akrapovic, Daytona, and Alan Smith of Smiths of Gloucester for personally supporting Dan, and all our friends and followers.