TT Website Forum

Full Version: Spectacular Double Podium for Yamaha WSB Team at Penultimate Round of the season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: yamaharacinghdr.jpg]

The R1 has yet again delivered spectacular results on the French circuit at Magny Cours today, with riders Marco Melandri and Eugene Laverty completing race one in second and fifth places respectively and the second race of the day with a fantastic double podium for Yamaha, taking second and third places.

Marco Melandri carried out two impressive races from eighth place and second row on the grid. Despite struggling with the front set up on his machine in race one, the Italian managed to gradually work his way through the pack to cross the line second, just behind Carlos Checa as the Spaniard claimed the 2011 World Championship title. Team-mate Eugene Laverty was on equally flying form at the penultimate round of the season. The Northern Irish man dominated the first half of race one before Checa overtook to take the lead. Laverty pushed hard to hold second but began to struggle with severe tyre wear on the rear of his R1 and was forced to settle for fifth at the line. Yamaha World Superbike riders concluded a hotter second race with Melandri climbing up to the third before closing in on and overtaking his team-mate on the last lap to power his Yamaha to the line, close behind champion Checa and claim the second step on the podium, while Laverty closely followed in third.

Marco Melandri leaves Magny Cours in second place in the championship. Following Carlos Checa title win today and the 77 point gap between the Italian and his fellow Yamaha team-mate now in third place, Melandri; the World Superbike Rookie, has completed the outstanding year in second place in the overall Championship classification. Following today’s impressive race results Laverty has jumped up to third place in the championship standings. Just 2 points separates the Northern Irish rider from the reigning world champion Max Biaggi, who is expected to make a return to the track after his recent injury, for the final round of the season in Portimao. The World Superbike rookie will be heading to the grand finale determined to keep a firm hold on his top three finish. Yamaha is in second place in the Manufacturer’s Championship standings, a substantial 16 points ahead of third. Yamaha already secured the top place in the Team Standings in the last round in Imola, and cannot be surpassed by another team.

Marco Melandri - Yamaha World Superbike Team - 2nd, 2nd

"I’m pleased with my two podium finishes today. Race one was very difficult, I was with struggling with the front so we modified the fork a bit before the second race but it didn’t make the difference I had hoped for. At the beginning I didn’t have a good feeling with the bike but mid-way I was more comfortable and pushed as hard I could. When I saw Eugene on the small hairpin on the last lap, I knew it was my only chance to get ahead. My target today was to catch up on the riders ahead and I did my best in both races so I’m happy to come away with two seconds."

Eugene Laverty - Yamaha World Superbike Team - 5th, 3rd

"They were two very tough races today. I was fighting hard for a podium in race one but I was struggling quite a bit with the rear towards the end and it was either crash or settle for fifth and I chose the latter. In the second race the bike was feeling very strong. I tried to stay with Carlos and battle for a win but he’s hard to beat this year and then Marco did a great last few laps and managed to overtake me. It’s great to be back on the podium again and it’s nice to have two Yamahas up here together. I’m delighted to be in third place in the championship but hopefully Max will be back in Portimao so we can battle for third overall."

Andrea Dosoli - Yamaha World Superbike Team Manager

"Today was a fantastic race day for both riders. Marco did really well to get two podiums on a track he didn’t know until this weekend, especially from 8th place off the grid. He has proved yet again to be a strong competitor and we are proud of his progress. Eugene also did a fantastic job in both races. It’s a pity he couldn’t get a podium finish in the first race due to harsh rear tyre wear, but considering the circumstances he did really well. In the second race he dominated the first part and then continued to battle with the champion to get a podium that has taken him into third place in the classification. Both sides of the garage worked really hard yet again this weekend and did a fantastic job. We are now second and third in the standings and the only four cylinder machines in the top three."