TT Website Forum

Full Version: Byrne Bounces Back To Claim Victory At Oulton Park
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: rapid-solicitors-kawasaki-header2.jpg]

Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki's reigning MCE British Superbike Champion Shane Byrne overcame the disappointment of a race one crash to take the victor's spoils in the second race at round three of the series at a sun-drenched Oulton Park today.

Leading the championship by 15-points coming into the bank holiday Monday action, Shakey was again strong throughout the two days of practice and qualifying and was an ever-present in the top three eventually qualifying in second place for the first of the two 18-lap races.

In front of a record-breaking crowd at the Cheshire venue, Byrne was looking good in race one as he shadowed the Honda of Alex Lowes but on lap 12, the triple British Champion from Sittingbourne, Kent slid off the Minxflix-backed Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R at Britten's chicane to end his hopes of adding to his three victories to date.

Disappointed but undeterred, the 36-year-old responded in ideal fashion in race two and although it was another epic battle with Lowes and Josh Brookes, Byrne always had enough of a gap to prevent the others from attempting an overtaking manoeuvre and he duly took his fourth win of the year to take his MCE BSB winning tally to 45.

Meanwhile, team-mate Keith Farmer put in his best qualifying performance to date to claim his first ever MCE BSB front row start with an excellent fourth place but that was about as good as it got for the 25-year-old from Clogher in County Tyrone. The young Ulsterman's first race lasted only half a lap when he was clipped by another rider which sent him crashing out but regrouped for the second race and put in a solid ride to take eighth, enough to keep himself in the same position in the championship table.

As for Byrne, he trails Lowes by a single point going into the next round at Knockhill on June 16th but importantly, has two more Podium Credits than his Honda rival which count towards the title-deciding end of season Showdown.

[Image: Byrne_OultonPark.jpg]

Shane Byrne:

"Getting that win in the second race has definitely put a smile on my face and it was the best way of saying sorry to the team for crashing in race one. The crash was a strange one as I didn't do anything differently on that lap but the front just folded on me without warning and that was that. I was determined to come back stronger and whilst I'd like to say I was controlling it from the front, it was extremely difficult as Josh and Alex kept the pressure on throughout. I was happy with the set-up of the bike and to finish the weekend with a win was just what we needed."

Keith Farmer:

"It's been a frustrating weekend for me, particularly after qualifying on the front row and whilst I feel comfortable following Shakey and other riders, when I'm riding on my own, it's a bit of a struggle to do the lap times. I tried a new rear shock and whilst it was better, the bike's still not where I want it to be. The first race crash was disappointing but I managed to salvage an eighth in the second race but it's not where I want to be finishing. I have to keep reminding myself it's only my third full season of road racing and I've got to be patient so I'll keep working hard and come back stronger next time out."

Paul Bird, Team Owner:

"The result in race one was not what we are used to or were expecting but these things happen and both riders showed great resolve to bounce back in race two. Shakey showed his class and was always in control and Keith brought the bike home safely in the top ten which is what we need him to do. Shakey has a two point lead in the Showdown and Keith is within nine points of a top six place so we're happy enough with where we are. We have a raft of improvements to make to the bikes before Knockhill so hopefully, we can continue to improve."

MCE British Superbike Championship Race 1 - 18 laps

1 Alex Lowes (Honda)
2 James Ellison (Yamaha)
3 Josh Brookes (Suzuki)
4 Jon Kirkham (BMW)
5 Tommy Bridewell (Honda)
6 Peter Hickman (Honda)
DNF Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
DNF Keith Farmer (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)

MCE British Superbike Championship Race 2 - 18 laps

1 Shane Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)
2 Josh Brookes (Suzuki)
3 Alex Lowes (Honda)
4 Jon Kirkham (BMW)
5 Tommy Bridewell (Honda)
6 Chris Walker (Kawasaki)
8 Keith Farmer (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki)

Championship Standings (after three rounds)
1 Lowes 117pts
2 Byrne (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 116
3 Brookes 96
4 Ellison 71
5 Kirkham 68
6 Walker 43
8 Farmer (Rapid Solicitors Kawasaki) 34