TT Website Forum

Full Version: Michael Dunlop puts BMW on pole for Superbike Race
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: nw200logo2014.jpg]

Michael Dunlop puts BMW on pole for Superbike Races at Saturday’s Vauxhall International North West 200

Michael Dunlop stormed to Superbike pole position on the Motorrad/Hawk BMW in blistering sunshine during the final qualifying session of the Vauxhall International North West 200 today.

The Ballymoney rider saved his best to last as he snatched the top spot right at the end of the final session with a new unofficial lap record of 122.274mph in 4 minutes 24.095 seconds.

“We are getting there, slowly but surely.” the 25 year old said afterwards with typical understatement.

Dunlop’s ability to make the switch to BMW from the Honda that he steered to glory in the 2013 Superbike TT has been under the spotlight but the double North West winner answered some of the questions by also grabbing pole in the Superstock class alongside his Superbike challenge.

“The BMW feels really good and I have to say that I really like it.” Michael enthused afterwards. “But we still haven’t had enough time with this bike.

This is a new German engine that is a lot faster than the BSB one I’ve tested and we are making lots of changes to the chassis. I still think that there is a lot more in this bike.”

[Image: mdunlopsuperbike1.jpg]
Michael Dunlop on his superbike during final practice on Thursday at the North West 200 on the North Coast.
PACEMAKER BELFAST 15/04/2014

Dunlop’s comments were in stark contrast to the post qualifying remarks of second spot man, Michael Rutter, who was just under a second slower than the local favourite on his Batham’s BMW.

“I thought that I had done the perfect lap today and I am disappointed not to get pole.” the 13 times NW winner said.

“I got a tow from William Dunlop on the Suzuki but when I pulled out of the slipstream we just weren’t quick enough. It is a good bike but it is only a standard engine.”

Ten times North West winner Alastair Seeley had a troubled final qualifying on his way to taking the final spot on the front row of the grid. He set his fastest lap on his third lap but on the next circuit the engine of his Mar-Train ZX10 Kawasaki expired.

“I was reasonably happy with things before the engine went bang.” the current Superbike lap record holder said after the session.

“The handling is really good and the track is in great condition in this warm weather. I am still feeling confident-but not over confident!”

After a week of practice in perfect conditions Saturday’s Vauxhall International North West 200 is set for some titanic battles in every class but all eyes will be on the premier Superbike events. With both big bike races being run over seven rather six laps, local fans will be relishing the prospect of watching what is sure to be massive battles for Superbike glory.