TT Website Forum

Full Version: MotoGP star sparks row over TT safety
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: scottreddinglemans1.jpg]

MotoGP rider Scott Redding has caused a social media row after making comments about the TT’s safety record.

After paying respects to Karl Harris, who died during yesterday’s Superstock race, the 21 year old from Gloucestershire said TT “is like death race” and added riders who finish are relieved to do so in one piece.

On Twitter, he said the TT racing is getting out of control, is unfair on families and the bikes are far too advanced for roadracing.

But his comments have sparked angry responses from race fans.

Redding, who is the youngest rider ever to win a Grand Prix race, was forced to defend his comments – saying he didn’t want the TT banned.

But that hasn’t stopped a number of people calling for people to turn their backs when he appears at the Grandstand on Friday.

He’s an ambassador for insurance firm Bennetts and will be on the Island to take part in Friday’s parade lap as well as dropping the flag for the Lightweight TT race.

A number of other Twitter users have also criticised his comments, while some bike fans have defended his stance.

[Image: manxradio50years.jpg]
Scott Redding not coming to TT

MotoGP rider Scott Redding has announced he is not attending this year’s TT.

The message comes following a social media row after Redding made comments about the TT’s safety record.

After paying respects to Karl Harris, who died during yesterday’s Superstock race, the 21 year old from Gloucestershire said the TT “is like death race” and added riders who finish are relieved to do so in one piece.

In a statement, Redding has now said he has been hit hard by the deaths of Karl and also Bob Price, also from Gloucestershire, who died in Monday's Supersport race.

He went on to say ‘ . . . that’s why I won’t be at the TT on Friday, not because I have anything against the Isle of Man TT, but because I prefer to mourn Bob in the places where I knew him best, not the place where he was taken from us. I wish all the competitors on the Island safe racing’

Scott Redding had been due to take part in Friday’s parade lap as well as dropping the flag for the Lightweight TT race.

[Image: manxradio50years.jpg]