TT Website Forum

Full Version: EAST COAST RACING TAKE POSITIVES FROM NORTH WEST 200 WITH TOP SIX FINISHES
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: eastcoastracinghdr.jpg]

East Coast Racing's Lee Johnston was involved at the business end of proceedings throughout this year’s Vauxhall International North West 200 aboard his stable of BMW and Triumph machinery with top six results in all four races.

The big talking point for the team and Lee was the fact that he was penalised 10 seconds for going straight through the Juniper Hill chicane in the Bet McLean Supersport Race.

A move by Ian Hutchinson into the chicane on lap three left Lee with nowhere to go but straight on, and despite losing ground on the front four battle, which he headed on the opening two laps, the East Coast Racing rider was still penalised.

He crossed the line in third place, which should have given him yet another North West 200 podium, but the 10-second penalty dropped him to sixth.

In the opening Supersport race on Thursday night he was also in the podium mix but dropped to sixth with brake fade in the closing stages. Sixth place in the Superstock class and fifth in the Superbike race completed this year’s event, which despite not giving Lee the results he desired – it has set him up well for the upcoming Isle of Man TT Races.

[Image: leejohnstonatNW.jpg]

Lee Johnston:

"I'm more disappointed for the lads in the team than anything else, but we were not a million miles away. Not to make any excuses, but I'm still recovering from the injury after Scarborough, so I think I maybe just lacked that final couple of percent, and in turn that maybe made me a little too polite in terms of winning races."There were six or eight other guys on track at the very top of their game and in the Superstock race I was a bit 'goosed' as my legs were not strong enough. But in saying that, it took a lap record from Hutchy to win it, Dunlop set one in the Superbike class and Seeley was setting records in the Supersport races – so taking that into consideration, we didn't do too bad."It gives me a bit more confidence with the TT just around the corner, but I have to give the team all the credit they deserve for another big effort. Losing out on the Supersport podium was disappointed as there's no stop box if you overshoot the chicane at Juniper and I did 'dab a foot'; lost three or four seconds and a couple of places, which I thought was a big enough penalty. Hutchy made a racing move and I've no problem with that, but in my opinion the penalty didn't fit the crime and it cost me a podium."

Jamie Ferguson - Team Manager:

"We maybe didn't grab a win at this year's event, and fell foul of a penalty that cost us a podium, but rules are rules, and we can take the positives from a strong week. Again we have made good progress with our bikes and that will benefit us at the Isle of Man TT in a few weeks time. Lee either led or challenged in every race and showed he still has the speed and race craft to stand on the top step, but it just wasn't our weekend and we will move on with optimism."

RESULTS

Actavo Supersport Race – 6 laps
Winner – Alastair Seeley [Kawasaki] 27min 46.955sec; 2nd – Ian Hutchinson [Yamaha] +1.290sec; 3rd – Martin Jessopp [Triumph] +2.200sec; 4th – William Dunlop [Yamaha] +5.995sec; 5th – Dean Harrison [Kawasaki] +6.581sec; 6th – Lee Johnston [ECR Triumph] +10.0sec

Bet McLean Supersport Race – 6 laps
Winner – Alastair Seeley [Kawasaki] 27min: 39.302sec; 2nd – Martin Jessopp [Triumph] +6.589sec; 3rd – Peter Hickman [Kawasaki] +14.642sec; 4th – Malachi Mitchell-Thomas [Honda] +15.958sec; 5th – Dean Harrison [Kawasaki] +16.177sec; 6th – Lee Johnston [ECR Triumph] +17.272sec*
*[10 second penalty]

SPIDI Superstock Race  – 5 laps

Winner – Ian Hutchinson [BMW] 22:07.389sec; 2nd – Peter Hickman [Kawasaki] +0.615sec; 3rd – Alastair Seeley [BMW] +0.767sec; 4th – Michael Rutter [BMW] +1.208sec; 5th – Michael Dunlop [BMW] +1.633sec; 6th – Lee Johnston [ECR BMW] +3.115sec

Anchor Complex Superbike Race – 5 laps
Winner – Michael Dunlop [BMW] 17mins: 37.556sec; 2nd – Ian Hutchinson [BMW] +5.206sec; 3rd – Michael Rutter [BMW] +5.524sec; 4th – Peter Hickman [Kawasaki] +5.686sec; 5th – Lee Johnston [ECR BMW] +6.464sec; 6th – John McGuinness [Honda] +6.745sec

On behalf of everyone at East Coast Racing we would like to pass on our condolences to the family of Malachi Mitchell-Thomas and all at Cookstown B.E Racing after the talented 20-year-old sadly lost his life whilst challenging for second place in the Supertwin race on Saturday May 14.