TT Website Forum

Full Version: Mixed Emotions For HM Plant Honda In TT Opener
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: hondahdr.gif]

HM Plant Honda’s Keith Amor powered his Fireblade Superbike to a fine sixth place in today’s opening, but delayed, TT race, with Michael Rutter finishing the six-lap event in a creditable eighth place on the privately entered Honda Fireblade Superstock machine. Unfortunately the 15-time TT winner, John McGuinness, faced disappointment however when he was forced to retire from the race on Sulby straight on the opening lap due to an electrical component fault.

McGuinness was second away at the start of the race and by the time they reached Glen Helen he was already showing promise, holding the lead by the narrowest of margins – eight hundredths of a second. But when they reached the next check point at Ballaugh, Cummins had moved ahead and as they passed the speed trap along Sulby straight the timings showed that John had slowed, indicating a problem. This was sadly confirmed just seconds later when John was reported to have pulled out of the race.

[Image: amorsbike.jpg]
Keith Amor during the Monday Superbike race

Standing in for the injured Steve Plater, Keith Amor rode a steady first lap to re-focus his mind following a ‘moment’ during the previous evening’s practice. He was fourteenth at Glen Helen, but soon got more into his stride and powered the HM Plant Honda through to tenth position at Ramsey. Gaining in confidence with every lap, Amor made his way through to sixth position where he took the chequered flag and, proved to be the fastest rider through Sulby speed trap, recording a time of 192.8mph.

Michael Rutter was riding a Honda Fireblade in Superstock spec in the Superbike race, under the banner of Batham’s Honda. The skilled road racer put in a strong performance to record some fast times on the Superstock machine and cross the finish line in a credible eighth position.

[Image: mcgsbike.jpg]
John McGuinness During The Monday Superbike Race

Keith commented,

“I am really pleased that I was able to bring the bike home in a strong position. We made a few adjustments during the first pit stop and this reflected in my times over the remainder of the race. I only sat on the bike for the first time on Monday and used the five nights of practice to try and find the correct set-up. The HM Plant Honda team has worked so hard and I am happy with the way things have gone. It would have been good finish higher up but I can’t complain and I’m now all set for the Senior TT on Friday.”

John said,

“I am so disappointed. The bike was flying and everything was fine but when I reached Ballaugh it started to lose power and that was the end of my race. I was able to ride it back to the pits, albeit very slowly and down the coast road – I got some strange looks for sure! It is such a shame because up to that point I was going faster than ever before and it was looking promising to be a fantastic race for me. But that’s racing and anything can happen at the TT.”

Michael said,

“I was happy with that result overall. It’s the fastest I have ever been around the TT course and to finish eighth on a stock bike in the Superbike class I am very pleased about.”

Havier Beltran, HM Plant Honda team manager, concluded,

“We are obviously so disappointed for John, the team, the sponsors, Honda and the fans that John broke down on the first lap. He showed such good form throughout the whole practice week and the team put in such a lot of hard work, so it was incredibly disappointing not to be able to bring back a good result for everyone. Although John didn’t finish the race, our other two riders did very well and rode with good and strong performances with Keith sixth and Michael eighth, so we are moving in the right direction. Keith is still learning the bike but it’s all coming together for him now and sixth is a fantastic result. Michael has gone faster than in previous years at the TT and he is really happy with eighth place on the Batham’s backed Honda Fireblade. Now we need to re-focus and prepare for Monday’s Superstock race with Michael and then the build up to Friday’s Senior TT spectacle.”

Overall, Honda secured a one/two with Ian Hutchinson taking the win from Michael Dunlop and ended the race with six Hondas in the top ten.