TT Website Forum
First timers traveling from the US - Printable Version

+- TT Website Forum (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Isle of Man TT Website (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=137)
+--- Thread: First timers traveling from the US (/showthread.php?tid=26553)

First timers traveling from the US - biznasty44 - 26-05-2018

Hey all,

My dad and I will be traveling from the US for the TT this year.  We are set to be there Thursday.  Hoping to get a few tips on spots to watch from, what and what not to eat, perhaps grab a drink with some fellow riders and experience as much as we can.  I have been wanting to see this race for the better part of a decade and finally making the journey can't wait!

RE: First timers traveling from the US - Moderator2 - 26-05-2018

Have a look around the forum and you will find lots and lots of tips on where to watch, eat, drink etc.

Generally just get out there and go with the flow, you will meet a lot of like minded people over the next 2 weeks, and make new friends who will share their advice and experiences with you on places to go and how to get there.

RE: First timers traveling from the US - Alfie Noakes - 26-05-2018

Womble round the paddock, see the bikes/ riders getting ready for scrutineering before practice/race, go for a gentle lap pick a few spots to watch, sunset at Peel or west coast is good for food/drinks after a busy day sat in a hedge watching practices / racing, enjoy the fab atmosphere and buzz, so much to see but it's all there waiting for you.

RE: First timers traveling from the US - Revvin rich - 27-05-2018

Hi There's so much to do and see have you hired any transport, the bus service is very good and quite reasonable there's lots of restaurants and pubs /bars that do food . Right I'll give one to start with 
the station hotel port Erin South of the island enjoy your stay. PS the racing will blow your mind.

RE: First timers traveling from the US - charlieb - 30-05-2018

Bottom of Bray Hill if you're in Douglas, Ballaugh Bridge for a day in the pub (if it rains) while watching the bikes (there's a bus stop opposite the pub), Cronk-Y-Voddy straight a must, Kirk Michael Village or Rhencullen on the edge of the village, The Creg for iconic photos. Viewing on the mountain can be a hassle, there are better places to see the action. Spend an evening in Peel at The Creek pub, not to be missed.

RE: First timers traveling from the US - HammerHead - 30-05-2018

(30-05-2018, 12:36 PM)charlieb Wrote: Viewing on the mountain can be a hassle, there are better places to see the action.

It can be a hassle getting away afterwards, but the Bungalow offers a road to Sulby inside the course and the mountain railway to Laxey to get away before roads open. Plenty of space to pick a good viewpoint at the Bungalow too.

RE: First timers traveling from the US - Mark9 - 30-05-2018

Hi, you will both have a fantastic time on the island, if you are hiring a bike the watch a few laps at the bungalow then ride down to the Sulby straight and continue to watch the race from there, there are so many places to watch but try to take in some of the slower corners as well as the fast straights, you’ll be amazed at the atmosphere, everyone is there for the same thing and friendly, if you are riding on the mountain be careful!, there is no speed limit so you’ll have people come past you at 150mph and more!, regarding food eat what you like!, plenty of restaurants and pubs serving food, it’s the greatest show on earth and you’ll never forget and almost certainly return, have a great time!

RE: First timers traveling from the US - biznasty44 - 02-06-2018

Hey all,

Sorry for such a late reply.  We have been here since Thursday and I have to say this is by far the nicest people I have ever met.  We have checked out a few spots along the course (bray hill, Braddan church, quarter bridge.  Having such a good time.  We are going to try and see the rest of the island tomorrow.  Again apologies for the late replies, connection is spotty at best.  If anyone has any recommendations for a tour or a way to get around the island I'm all ears, we are camping across from the hospital.  Thanks and be safe!

Mike

RE: First timers traveling from the US - Moderator2 - 03-06-2018

You could take the steam train from Douglas down to Port Erin and maybe stop off in Castletown for a walk around too.

RE: First timers traveling from the US - laverda77 - 04-06-2018

Hi Mike,I would recommend a "go explore ticket" it gets you unlimited bus travel and includes steam train and electric trains, which can give you more options when in Ramsey,or Port Erin or Laxey,you can get them at the sea terminal,Douglas steam train station,or Mannin centre Peel.Given the fact you are at braddan bridge campsite,just walk down to kirk braddan for frequent buses to Peel and Ramsey,or walk over quarter bridge,past Mc Donald's then turn right over bridge at big power station,there is a bus stop that will take you to the south.about 20mins walk from campsite.Also from site you could walk up to Johnny Wattersons lane to Cronk Ny Mona,great views,and handy pub,(the cat with no tail)and shops .and during road closures,from there you can walk down past pub,left into,Snaefell rd, into School rd,past Manor hotel (nice old pub)into Greenfield rd,then you are at the start/finish line,then you go into cemetery ,over metal bridge into grand stand area.nb the buses are really quite frequent and good.

RE: First timers traveling from the US - laverda77 - 04-06-2018

Hi again ,just to add, the walk from Braddan camping site to Cronk ny Mona, is mostly uphill and I would allow 30,45 minutes,on foot, and take water.

RE: First timers traveling from the US - charlieb - 04-06-2018

Allow at least two hours before roads closed time and take bus to Kirk Michael, get off at the first stop after the village (Rhencullen) and enjoy a day you will never forget. 
If you're running too late to get the bus, taxi from Douglas to The Creg. Good viewing from the pub and easy to walk up to Kate's Cottage or down towards Brandish.

RE: First timers traveling from the US - biznasty44 - 08-06-2018

Oh man, WHAT A TRIP!! The people there were amazingly nice, the racing was awesome, the teams and riders are all super cool, the island is beautiful. The entire atmosphere of the TT was so amazing and cannot be overstated, no wonder people flock from all over the world to go to it. Thank you all for the recommendations and advice, it was much appreciated!!

RE: First timers traveling from the US - Moderator2 - 08-06-2018

I'm glad you enjoyed it as much as we all knew you would.

I hope you return again next year, or if you want to do it all again before then, why not try the Classic TT/Manx Grand Prix in August.