TT Website Forum
Who, What, Where, When? - Printable Version

+- TT Website Forum (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Isle of Man TT Website (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: ALL Photographs and Video Shots etc... (https://www.ttwebsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=54)
+--- Thread: Who, What, Where, When? (/showthread.php?tid=29796)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - Sam Pato - 30-11-2020

I'm guessing the entry to Bradden Bridge. I couldn't guess the rider but did some sleuth work to find out. Won't spoil it for anyone.

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - Splashdown - 30-11-2020

Ginger Hall...... and just a tad wide.

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - HammerHead - 30-11-2020

(30-11-2020, 10:09 AM)Splashdown Wrote: Ginger Hall...... and just a tad wide.

I'm interested in your comment Nick. Clearly you have the experience to know (which I definitely do not), but the lines of rubber on the road seem to suggest to the uninitiated that he's running the same line as the majority, being in the middle of the main band of tyre marks.

Please do let us know, as I find this sort of thing fascinating, the way different riders tackle the same corner differently.

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - Splashdown - 30-11-2020

Hammerhead. I've looked at the photo........and the tyre marks. Well according to the tyre marks you are correct!!
(massive climb down from Splashdown!). All I can think is that the camera lens foreshortens the whole aspect of the photo, since at that point I would expect to be virtually scraping the fence with my shoulder. You don't obviously, (always think of Alex George going through Ginger Hall), but that was the feeling. This rider MUST be online according to those marks you refer to, but my first impression was that he could have been further in.
It would be interesting to see a top notcher at exactly the same spot, but I feel that I will have to concede this one. Huh

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - sticky - 30-11-2020

At the risk of completely giving the game away, this is a top notcher in his first TT year!

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - Chrisp955 - 30-11-2020

You give it away sticky. Wouldn't of got it without Google

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - Sam Pato - 01-12-2020

Give us another one Sticky old chap! I'm 0 from 4 on location (although I thought the Milntown adjudication a bit harsh) - so I want to break my duck.

Maybe something with a pub in the background :-)

Cheers

Sam

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - sticky - 01-12-2020

It is Ginger Hall. Anyone want to guess on the rider?

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - Sam Pato - 01-12-2020

Hopefully you don't mind if I throw out a massive clue.............went on to have two TT wins both in the same year.........

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - bsa499 - 01-12-2020

Is it Cameron Donald?

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - Chrisp955 - 01-12-2020

Ya I'm going with Cameron Donald as well

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - HammerHead - 01-12-2020

(30-11-2020, 09:14 PM)Splashdown Wrote: Hammerhead. I've looked at the photo........and the tyre marks. Well according to the tyre marks you are correct!!
(massive climb down from Splashdown!). All I can think is that the camera lens foreshortens the whole aspect of the photo, since at that point I would expect to be virtually scraping the fence with my shoulder. You don't obviously, (always think of Alex George going through Ginger Hall), but that was the feeling. This rider MUST be online according to those marks you refer to, but my first impression was that he could have been further in.
It would be interesting to see a top notcher at exactly the same spot, but I feel that I will have to concede this one. Huh

Thanks Splashdown.

Actually I only noticed the tyre marks afterwards which made me wonder, that's all. I didn't have a feeling at all for him being on or off line particularly, but when someone who has ridden more laps than many and knows the course better than most makes such an observation it's always good to ask why for knowledge's sake. In the same vein I love Milky's videos giving his version of the line to take.

It is Cam Donald. 

Going to test you a bit now...This shot is from a parade lap and shows an ex-TT rider.  Couple of clues:  His helmet design is the same as when he raced (pudding bowl days!) and he raced for Padgetts in the late 60s.  So, who's this?

[Image: 50669017192_bfbd57b537_o.jpg]

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - bsa499 - 01-12-2020

That is Terry Grotefeld.

Blast - i thought that would be harder! bsa499 is correct.

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - Alfie Noakes - 01-12-2020

Deerstalker Hat of the Day goes to BSA499 .. bravo

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - Sam Pato - 02-12-2020

Chapeau as the cyclists say.

RE: Who, What, Where, When? - bsa499 - 02-12-2020

Dr Watson (well my wife) and I will be going shopping for a suitable cape and meerschaum pipe to complete my new outfit. I'm really enjoying this thread and I'm particularly intrigued how poor I am at identifying locations on the course. I thought I knew the TT Course well, I've been going to the races since 1962 and raced (in the MGP) for ten of them. I even took part in the incredible IoM Scooter Rallies in the 70's (on a trail bike). Amongst other events the rallies included time and reliability trials involving multiple laps around the TT Course at night, but I still struggle. I wonder if it's because most of the images are looking back down the course rather than in the direction of the course?

I was wondering about the back down the course aspect. I think I've watched from the spot I erroneously called Milntown but the rest have more or less been from angles i haven't seen at popular spots. I'm guessing that's the skill of the tog in presenting new perspectives. Good on ya Sticks.

Looking forward to seeing the Cape btw. Will you be going with the Robert Downey Jr look or the classic Basil Rathbone vintage ensemble?