bit of advice
ian charlton Offline

Threads: 4
bit of advice
I,m sitting here with a Ducati 500 motor in a Verlicchi frame ,sold to a guy up Penrith way, R ussell Jones, in the mid 80,s. I have docs that it was ex Tony Rutter ,bought from Steve Wynne. Possible Mr Slinn might throw some light on this. I also have a 600 Ducati sl with hyd clutch. I intend to make a TT2 rep from both as a racer/racer rather than a roadster/racer, you know ,a proper job,switches instead of keys and the like. W hat class would this be able to run in ,here or IOM, Where would i get hold of any regs. Any advice appreciated. I bought the Verlicchi in 1989,used it at Monza ,91, and it just sitting,it needs to be doing what it was built for. Thanks.
16-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Find Reply
George Offline

Threads: 50
RE: bit of advice
If you contact ???at Classic racer he will give you all the information you need. (cant think of his name at the mo)
http://www.crmc.co.uk/
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2011, 02:34 PM by George.)
16-09-2011, 02:31 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Would that be Malcolm Wheeler? Thanks, i,ll try next week.
16-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(16-09-2011, 10:48 AM)ian charlton Wrote: I,m sitting here with a Ducati 500 motor in a Verlicchi frame ,sold to a guy up Penrith way, R ussell Jones, in the mid 80,s. I have docs that it was ex Tony Rutter ,bought from Steve Wynne. Possible Mr Slinn might throw some light on this. I also have a 600 Ducati sl with hyd clutch. I intend to make a TT2 rep from both as a racer/racer rather than a roadster/racer, you know ,a proper job,switches instead of keys and the like. W hat class would this be able to run in ,here or IOM, Where would i get hold of any regs. Any advice appreciated. I bought the Verlicchi in 1989,used it at Monza ,91, and it just sitting,it needs to be doing what it was built for. Thanks.

Hi Ian,

Interesting !, I would love to see the docs that say that the bike you have was ex Tony Rutter. The F2 that TR rode to victory in the 1981 TT was a 600cc motor in a Ron Williams modified Ducati Pantah frame. In 1982 TR raced a TT2 that was owned by the Ducati factory. After SMC Ltd closed in late 82 TR/Ducati UK racing was formed. We only ever had two bikes, one 600cc TT2, and one 750cc TT1, we had three engines for each bike. The F2 machine is still in existence, the F1 machine was completely wrecked when TR crashed in Spain in 1985. It was never rebuilt. !!. Incidentaly, over the years I have been approached by a number of people who claim to have ex Rutter TT's. Two years ago I spoke to a Dutch guy who claims to have a Ex Rutter "practice" TT2, complete with docs and a letter stating that it was a ex TR TT 2. As I have already stated Ian I would love to see those docs !!
16-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

Yes,i see where you,re coming from, it,s more than likely that i,ve been duped ,like many others i suppose. However i do have a written note,that proves nothing,and i never did take a liking to the guy i bought it from. But i still have the verlicchi frame ,complete,fitted with a 500 motor,no frame numbers,just an alloy plate fitted printed RJ1,cantilever,and the fairing like the early jelly bean type painted in the blue red factory colours. What have i got? Anyway,i still want to end with a tt2 replica,like many i have a soft spot for this particular Ducati as it brings back memories of PROPER race bikes, YOU know what i mean. I,d like to speak with you some time as i know your passion for them and Dr T. And i know youv,e been on wild goose chases in the past with various claims of authenticity,i,ll not go up that path.To be frank,ex whoever means nothing to me anyway,i,m to old for that kind of nonsense. Thanks for replying.
17-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Find Reply
ian charlton Offline

As i,ve j ust gone through the docs for the bike,i find that it is probably ex anybody. But one doc amongst others for the sale of parts from smc plus one 500 sl pantah imported from italy to build the bike is as follows.Recieved from mr RJ---- [COST] for the following parts,1 FRAME,1 SWINGING ARM,1 PAIR BEARINGS,1 MEGAPHONE. Signed Pat Slinn. This clears things up and was obviously a verlicchi frame available to punters at that time. I had incorrectly assumed that the frames were not available in 84 early 85. I still wonder where the correct tank with the hump on top and the fairing seat unit came from. Do you have any recollection ? thanks.
17-09-2011, 11:07 PM
Find Reply
pat slinn Offline

Threads: 37
(17-09-2011, 11:07 PM)ian charlton Wrote: As i,ve j ust gone through the docs for the bike,i find that it is probably ex anybody. But one doc amongst others for the sale of parts from smc plus one 500 sl pantah imported from italy to build the bike is as follows.Recieved from mr RJ---- [COST] for the following parts,1 FRAME,1 SWINGING ARM,1 PAIR BEARINGS,1 MEGAPHONE. Signed Pat Slinn. This clears things up and was obviously a verlicchi frame available to punters at that time. I had incorrectly assumed that the frames were not available in 84 early 85. I still wonder where the correct tank with the hump on top and the fairing seat unit came from. Do you have any recollection ? thanks.

Ian, just sent you a PM.
18-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Find Reply