Can Guy race
Chrisp955 Offline

Threads: 21
Can Guy race
I'm I right in thinking that Guy wouldn't of got his race licence signed at the northwest? And if not will he have to ask for special dispensation to race the TT.
I hope he can race but wondering what is the rules on this?
14-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Find Reply
eman1948 Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Can Guy race
Guy has not performed at all well at any of the races he has entered. I`m a great admirer of his but honestly I hope he does not race at the TT what with him well off the pace and the Fireblade just not up to the job. Honda appear to have forgotten how to make a decent Super Bike perhaps they should stay away until they can get their mojo back or just stick to Motogp. Perhaps they should get Suzuki build a Super Bike for them.
14-05-2017, 07:47 PM
Find Reply
roger9650 Offline

Threads: 0
Does he really want to?
14-05-2017, 08:46 PM
Find Reply
charlieb Offline

Threads: 7
Mc Guiness now out of the TT which surely leaves Guy to win the TT Zero on the Mugen
15-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

Probably not be the win he would want but it would be on record as a tt win
15-05-2017, 01:38 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
I didn't realize that the cut of was May 5th so on the face of it can't see how he would qualify but they will almost certainly give him a start as publicity will overcome safety. If I remember right they let him start when he turned up late for practice a few years ago and hadn't qualified. 
The mountain course licence was introduced to stop the 'gentlemen' racers who only did the TT year after year and kept the event going in the lean times but were unfashionable. Now we have bsb riders parachuting in (with mixed results) and everybody else having to wobble round places like aintree and three sisters to get signatures - places where the skills, mindset and bike set-up are completely different from the Island and irrellevant.
So by my reckoning Guy fell off at his last race (Ulster) before his 2 year break, he then fell off at his first race back at Tandagree, I think he got 2 signatures at cookstown.  At scarborough he was well out of it and packed in - nil pionts? At the NW he was poor- I saw him starting from the 2nd group on the Wilson Craig Honda and got passed by a couple of club racers (both yorkshiremen thank god) and didn't look very interested.  I think he might have had a go in NZ at chrimbo on that Martek thing but not sure if he finished.  So as far as I can see he has 2 sigs no doubt someone will correct me if theres others I don't have any interest in roundy roundy racing so he might have snuck a bsb round in.
I have nothing against Guy I just think that when you have a 'safety' rule thats caused a lot of good guys to retire or exposed them to loads of expense and hassle it shouldn't be over-ridden except in exceptional circumstances and looking at Guys recent history, letting him loose on the problematic Blade is a massive risk. 
The current CoC is the best one I can remember and hopefully he won't let PR override safety, I wonder what they would say if Dave  Madsen-Mygdal didn't get hiis sigs in no doubt he would be booted straight away
15-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
theres been rumours in past years that some of the higher profile riders were allowed to race without all the signatures required
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
15-05-2017, 04:04 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(14-05-2017, 06:19 PM)Chrisp955 Wrote: I'm I right in thinking that Guy wouldn't of got his race licence signed at the northwest?  And if not will he have to ask for special dispensation to race the TT.
I hope he can race but wondering what is the rules on this?

as allready reported the cut off date was 5th may so north west shouldnt make a difference to 2017 tt
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
15-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Find Reply
BenjiesDad Offline

Threads: 10
Be careful guys,,
Malcolm is about,
Lets just enjoy the TT what ever happens on the rider/team front.
15-05-2017, 04:43 PM
Find Reply
Moderator2 Offline

Threads: 0
By all means discuss this subject, along with the pro's and con's of the mountain course licence, but please refrain from any sniping towards particular individuals.

Thanks
15-05-2017, 05:55 PM
Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
[Image: im-watching.jpg]
ALWAYS
15-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Website Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
Will the bike race ? is another related question. Honda have gone to Castle Combe for testing - It's a bumpy old lap but slow now with the chicanes spoiling the quick corners, not sure what they can glean from a few laps around there compared to a flat out beating on a road circuit. I find it slightly suss that there's not much info on the crash and the ECU was apparently damaged on McG's bike so they didn't really know what had happened ... but withdrew anyway 'mmmm.
15-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
Seems to be a grey area here with most people saying that he doesn't have enough signatures to qualify, someone in the know needs to grow a pair and stand up and be counted. It should be simple, black and white, yes he does or no he doesn't.
16-05-2017, 11:04 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
It might be time to re-evaluate the Mountain Course licence. Whilst it was the right move in principal, there were some good riders thrown out with the bath water when it was first introduced.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
16-05-2017, 11:39 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
The organisers are able to make allowances for riders and I'm reasonably certain they have in the past.  I'd expect that by the time he gets to Mona's Isle Guy will have done more laps of Castle Coomb at race speed than most club racers will do in a full season.

I'd be 100% certain that this discussion has already happened between Honda and the CoC and agreement has been reached.  Personally I can't see what the issue is (just smacks of bitterness tbh) why not make a reasoned assessment?

Likewise I've never understood peoples problem with the mountain course license.  Its generally acknowledged that the mountain course is among the most dangerous in the world.  Why is it unreasonable to expect entrants to have recent experience of riding their machines at racing speed?  They aren't just risking their own necks after all.

The big question for me is more - should he race if the bike has the potential to throw him off without notice?  I can't imagine Honda being prepared to withdraw - so it'll be a big call for someone.

Cheers

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
17-05-2017, 04:29 AM
Find Reply
Chrisp955 Offline

If Honda are not happy with the bike I'm sure they can if they haven't already knocked a old spec blade up. That will be up to a top 10 finish if guy can find his old speed through pratice week.
15 sleeps to the ferry
17-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Id say your correct about Guy getting a top 10 but in commercial terms it would be extraordinary for Honda to park the new bike and use a superseded model.

I'd imagine Neil Tuxworth is a man sitting in a very hot seat at the moment.
17-05-2017, 09:25 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Although not quite the same it reminds me of Jim Moodie refusing to race the Honda fireblade in the Senior one year.  I heard the Honda version of events from NT on the radio but never found out what the riders reasons were.  I'd always thought Jim was usually very professional in his approach and its rarely a good idea to bite the hand that feeds IMO.
(This post was last modified: 17-05-2017, 09:29 AM by Sam Pato.)
17-05-2017, 09:27 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
I seem to remember he started, but pulled in at Quaterbridege?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
(This post was last modified: 17-05-2017, 05:23 PM by Malcolm.)
17-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Find Reply
Jonesthebike Offline

Threads: 3
Iam wondering is Michael Dunlop going to be happy with the Suzuki it's not performing very well is it? Wouldn't be surprised if the hawk racing BMW is somewhere under wraps ready if needed.
(This post was last modified: 17-05-2017, 06:46 PM by Malcolm.)
17-05-2017, 05:02 PM
Find Reply