One-way Mountain Road talks after festival
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
One-way Mountain Road talks after festival
[Image: mountainroad.jpg]

Economic Development Minister Laurence Skelly says making the Mountain Road one-way for the Festival of Motorcycling will be discussed within government.

Last week, it emerged making the route one-way as it is during the TT festival is something that's under consideration.

Mr Skelly says each year after the festival, those involved hold debrief meetings to discuss how it can be improved.

He says making the Mountain Road one-way is something that'll be discussed following this year's festival:

[Image: listenhere.jpg]

[Image: 3fmlogo.jpg]
04-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Website Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
RE: One-way Mountain Road talks after festival
I think they will struggle for marshals if they enforce this. I would be all for it but for this issue. There is no way marshals will volunteer to be on the Mountain at the end of August. It will be pitch dark before they are able to get away.........and the pubs will be shut!
04-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Find Reply
Wookster Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
This is the first issue we discuss after returning from the first mountain run , there is no getting away from the fact that it's the TT course ! , and people will ride it the same whether it's TT fortnight or the festival fortnight, and with the amount of visitors growing which seemed the case this year , if they leave it two way ,we know ,and the organisers know the resulting carnage will be not good news for those involved, and the iom tourist board
04-09-2017, 06:32 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
I'm with splashdown - I once marshalled at the Gooseneck at the TT - came up the hibernia back road in my lwb van couldn't turn round so waited for the convoy - got back to Glenlough too late for anything. Another time on a bike I got to KFC in Douglas at 8.30pm in the wet and the lovely polish serving girl said she wasn't allowed to cook any more chicken in case it was wasted, there were 5 of us there all wanting chicken but she wouldn't cook it - went to McDonalds and they had run out of Bread buns ended up with a Ginsters Cornish Pasty! Never Marshalled on the mountain again!

I'm not sure that the one way makes things safer - haven't noticed the manx getting worse for accidents - The TT is carnage now with the one way system - should make it two way and put spikes and barbed wire on the outside of every corner, for me now theres no fun doing a lap even if you can manage it without some superhero wiping you out, personally they should have it 2 way with a 50 limit and no overtaking.  Mind you does anyone else have difficulty going the 'wrong' way round the course? Its just odd.
Perhaps for a laugh they should run the TT  the wrong way round just once wonder what the lap record would be?
04-09-2017, 07:01 PM
Find Reply
Spadaman Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
I agree that going round the "wrong " way is odd but you do get used to it as we did this year due to the many occasions the mountain road was closed due to accidents! By the way Quarry Bends is much smoother the wrong way round than the right way round!

Also on many occasions we took the old TT road from Kirk Michael to Peel and its a great road that includes a hairpin ( downhill this time) and on Saturday also included a few hens in the road just to make things interesting!
04-09-2017, 08:31 PM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
(04-09-2017, 08:31 PM)Spadaman Wrote: Also on many occasions we took the old TT road from Kirk Michael to Peel and its a great road that includes a hairpin ( downhill this time) and on Saturday also included a few hens in the road just to make things interesting!

A bit off topic, but after evening practice with the sun setting that is quite possibly my favourite bit of road on the Island.

The organisers are damned if they do and damned if they don't with regard to making the course one way. I'm not sure what data exists to prove mooted road safety improvements (how long ago was it made one way for the TT?) but lack of marshals potentially stops the whole event!

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
06-09-2017, 04:54 PM
Find Reply