Southern 100 Stalwart Passes Away
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Southern 100 Stalwart Passes Away
[Image: S1002019hdr.jpg]

Southern 100 Racing are shocked and saddened on learning of the passing of one the club’s stalwarts and ardent supporters, Hamish Ross on Thursday 4th April 2019.

Hamish first became involved with the Southern 100 when the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company began their initial sponsorship of the 125/400cc race in 1994.

Hamish Ross was appointed Managing Director of the ‘Steam Packet’ in 1996 and due to his enthusiasm and persuasion, the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company became title sponsors of ‘the friendly races’ in 1999 – a situation which continues to the present day and is very much appreciated by Southern 100 Racing.

In 1991, with major changes to the TT and the Steam Packet, the company requested the Southern 100 organisers to add an additional road race to the Billown Course to ‘entertain’ the race fans, who couldn’t escape the Island as quickly as in previous years at the conclusion of TT week and the Steam Packet Road Races’ were born, which attracted many of the top stars of the TT travelling ‘south’ after the Senior TT to take part in the three race programme on the Saturday afternoon.

Once Hamish came on board the races gained stature with enhanced prize money and even attracted riders from ‘across’ coming over just to race on the Billown Course – not having been involved in the races on the Snaefell Mountain Course!

When Hamish retired from the Steam Packet Company in 2007, he did not turn his back on the southside races, taking on the role along with is wife Gill of ‘Hospitality Officers’ looking after the growing number of race sponsors, initially at the Southern 100, but latterly at the Pre-TT Classic Races and the Post TT Races, ably assisting our Club Patron, Sir Miles Walker CBE and his wife, Lady Mary Walker.

Hamish and Gill were regular and familiar figures in the hospitality area adjacent to the Club Head Quarters welcoming and entertaining increasing numbers of sponsors until last year, when Hamish wasn’t well enough to be present, although their presence could be felt.

Club President, Phil Taubman MBE said:

‘The sad news as come as a shock to myself and my committee and everyone involved with the races organised by the Southern 100 Club.

‘Hamish was instrumental in bringing the Southern 100 to the status it enjoys today and remained a faithful friend and ambassador to the end, he will be sadly missed’.

Southern 100 Racing extend their sincere condolences to wife Gill and family, as this very sad time.

[Image: HamishRossRIP.jpg]
05-04-2019, 03:58 PM
Website Find Reply
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 365
RE: Southern 100 Stalwart Passes Away
Wow! I never realised that Hamish was such a genuine stalwart of the road racing scene. My only dealings with him where in early 90's, when we had a big problem with our TT bookings & I (inadvertantly?!?!) spoke with him, and he managed to rectify our problem.
 R.I.P. Hamish.
06-04-2019, 01:58 AM
Website Find Reply