Undertaking
Spartacus Offline

Threads: 10
Undertaking
Is undertaking on a motorcycle illegal as while at the 2019 TT I was almost mown down near to the Grandstand and in Douglas by motorcycles? I think this is rather dangerous for pedestrians. I have always been told not to undertake on the inside. Any views on this?
16-06-2019, 08:36 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Undertaking
It's a grey area, it's known as filtering, according to the Highway Code it's legal in slow moving or stationary traffic, but it can be fraught with danger for both riders and pedestrians.

What really gets my goat is when a gang of them come down both sides of a queue at the traffic lights and surround the car at the front, sometimes blocking oncoming traffic when they follow their mates and then realise there is no more room at the front and end up sitting over the centre line, it happens a lot at the top of Bray Hill.

Last year I saw one rider almost get his foot run over by a bus coming the other way!!
(This post was last modified: 16-06-2019, 09:05 PM by warrior.)
16-06-2019, 09:04 PM
Find Reply
Ted1200 Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 1
Shy  RE: Undertaking
When I started reading this I thought it was about running a Funeral Directors with motorbikes!  Angel
17-06-2019, 04:36 PM
Find Reply
Spartacus Offline

Nice one Ted👍 Never gave that a thought!
18-06-2019, 10:00 PM
Find Reply
Spartacus Offline

I agree warrior. I don't mean to be a spoil sport but I have never filtered on the inside mainly due to the danger of passengers opening doors and also pedestrians crossing. I also think it's discourteous. Any other views?
(This post was last modified: 18-06-2019, 10:06 PM by Spartacus.)
18-06-2019, 10:03 PM
Find Reply
Smokin Haddock Racing Offline

Threads: 8
I don't have a problem with filtering on either side as long as it is at a sensible speed, takes into account the dangers, and there is an end point that doesn't put you or others in danger. Filtering up the inside is usually in a space that is just too tight, but if the space is there then use it. The top of Bray is a classic place where not to filter. Lanes too tight, no room at the front etc.etc. but the muppets still do it.

Filtering is one of the joys of biking Smile
20-06-2019, 05:50 PM
Find Reply