Best TT Memories.
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

Threads: 13
RE: Best TT Memories.
Defo Sam Ian's lap is on my list - that lap on a TZ250A-the last of the quick reverse cylinder 250's was right out there -remember watching from Signpost, another epic less known 2-stroke memory is Charlie Williams's TZ350 112.8mph lap in the 1979 Classic TT finishing 3rd behind Mike Hailwood and Alex George - a truly outstanding lap of the course without any of the later "improvements" and a road surface much different to what we have today...I was on the scoreboards with Scouts that year.... and following on from BSA499's words - yes Sir all of that, my 92 MGP Junior replica is sat in similar place, watching and competing in early morning practice was the most surreal tactile atmospheric experience myself and my crew ever got involved in outside of the actual race.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2020, 09:14 AM by Alfie Noakes.)
03-04-2020, 09:04 AM
Find Reply
BRADDAN OAK Offline

Threads: 21
Marshalled at Braddan oak for many years, too many happy memories to mention.
Made a lot of friends across there, and am still in touch with them now, we often reminise about the good times we had.

03-04-2020, 09:52 AM
Find Reply
bsa499 Offline

Threads: 48
Following on from my earlier post on this thread, I’ve been asked a number of times what was my favourite section of the course. I don’t have one, but many - Glen Vine, Greeba Castle, from Ballacraine to Lambfell, Barregarrow (top and bottom) the 13th Milestone, Rhencullen, Kerrowmoar, Glentramman, the Verandah, the left-hander before the Bungalow, Brandywell, the 32nd Milestone, Cronk-ny-Mona and, of course the Glencrutchery Road are amongst them. My favourite of all though is the 33rd Milestone. Most of my TT Course experience was gained on my own BSA B50, not known for speed, but still a very pleasing ride and after several practice attempts I could negotiate the 33rd flat in top and ‘under the shed, what a memory!
My TT Course ‘competitive career’ ended at the 26th Milestone during the 2014 Senior Classic TT as a result of a collapsed rear wheel. I was knocked unconscious after hitting the bank on the outside of the left-hander followed by (I assume) an aerial trip over the bank and a helicopter journey to Nobles. I only know this as the marshal on duty (who I contacted later to express my thanks) saw, out of the corner of his eye, me and my machine flying into the field. Also following the incident my team went to recover the machine and took photos of the banking and my ‘landing site’. Obviously this doesn’t seem to be one of my ‘Best TT Memories’ but, in a sense it was as I got away essentially uninjured. Bruised and battered, yes but nothing broken and no long-term damage, also I was treated brilliantly by the hospital staff.
This incident prompted a change from competing to marshalling. My wife and I have marshalled at many locations and we have many great memories as a result. Obviously we haven’t marshalled everywhere, but some of the places that have provided us with great memories are Windy Corner, the Bottom of Barregarrow, the 11th Milestone, Signpost, Bedstead, The Nook, the Helicopter Field approaching Glen Helen, the Quarry Bends and the Sulby Crossroads. We’ll be back, when Covid-19 allows, marshalling wherever there’s a shortage. We can’t wait.
03-04-2020, 11:16 AM
Find Reply
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
My first TT was 1962 I was 10yrs old I went with my dad and older brother and some of his mates I remember queing at Liverpool docks for the midnight flyer to watch the senior TT as soon as we got off the boat it was straight to the old rondevouse cafe for breakfast then after breakfast we walk to Union Mills to watch the racing, after the racing we stayed at a B&B for a night then back on the ferry to Liverpool I can still remember if it was yesterday and I'm 68 now they were good memories. Ps stay safe everyone we all want to go again next year.
03-04-2020, 11:58 PM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
if you turn the 6 upside down that was my first year 1992
slept in a car on douglas prom with a mate
had the use of mates harris magnum while on island
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
04-04-2020, 11:31 AM
Find Reply
HammerHead Offline

Threads: 23
My first year was as recent as 2014 and there are a number of "first time" memories which make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Waiting at Ramsey Hairpin and hearing the bikes approach Ramsey and get louder and louder as they got closer and closer was one. Watching the superbike race from the grandstand and taking in the first pitstop after Michael Dunlop had broken the lap record on each of the first two laps was another (although Bruce then topped that with the first 132).

2016 was really enjoyable too - wall to wall sunshine, staying longer into race week, and watching from some great places all added up to make a fabulous trip.

On the other side of the coin last year was one to forget, weather was awful and our tent leaked and we saw very little action on track.

"There is nothing so momentary as a sporting achievement, and nothing so lasting as the memory of it."
07-04-2020, 03:20 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Threads: 24
I was out on my bike at the weekend and had a bit of head space to mull this over and I've got quite a few but two in particular stick in my mind. 

One was seeing the great David Jeffries on the TAS suzuki - not in any one particular spot (but Bray Hill was special) but the fact I actually got to see and enjoy it.  I always felt it was man commanding machine rather than man and machine in harmony. DJ still sorely missed - I was trying to remember the quote that he became associated with about risking noting and achieving nothing - I'll try to look it up later.

The other was something that happened when the TAS bikes were in the Relentless livery .  I was again at the bottom of Bray Hill Thursday evening practice and the Superbikes were out and we were just waiting for the quick guys to come through on a fast second lap.  Anstey was coming through at an astonishing pace and as he flashed past us an headed up the hill I suddenly realised there were two bikes and that Cam Donald was nailed to the back of him only inches away from his tail but completely out of sight from my position coming down the hill - it was breathtaking.  Wish I could remember what year.

Cheers

Sam
Warning Level 0% since 2006
20-04-2020, 01:05 AM
Find Reply
bud62 Offline

Threads: 2
(20-04-2020, 01:05 AM)Sam Pato Wrote: .............................. Cam Donald was nailed to the back of him only inches away from his tail but completely out of sight from my position coming down the hill - it was breathtaking.  Wish I could remember what year.

Cheers

Sam

2009 at a guess?
20-04-2020, 06:47 PM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Just checked. Yes 2009.
20-04-2020, 10:38 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

DJ at the exit of Barregarrow Top when the camber was more serious and road at the edges not as good as it is now, we sneaked a little into the restricted area on the right and just poked faces through the long grass - DJ visibly quickest and every lap he was crossed up, drifting on the back wheel and right in the gutter like it was a Sunday ride out .... awesome.
21-04-2020, 06:28 PM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

I have been going to the Island since 1963, but the most memorable thing for me was taking part in the Joey Dunlop memorial lap. It was during the MGP and  I did not have a bike, but some Vintage Club boys staying at the same Hotel, lent me a newly refurbished Triumph Bonneville and a crash helmet to join them on the parade.  There were so many spectators lining the course waving and cheering, that I had a lump in my throat most of the way round, knowing that we were all there for one man. I will be forever grateful for the loan of that bike and the memory it gave me.
21-04-2020, 09:02 PM
Find Reply
Alfie Noakes Offline
Administrator

^Thanks DM for your efforts this year with the Countdown^ ....
22-04-2020, 08:47 AM
Find Reply
scaramanga Offline

Threads: 25
(20-04-2020, 01:05 AM)Sam Pato Wrote: I was out on my bike at the weekend and had a bit of head space to mull this over and I've got quite a few but two in particular stick in my mind. 

One was seeing the great David Jeffries on the TAS suzuki - not in any one particular spot (but Bray Hill was special) but the fact I actually got to see and enjoy it.  I always felt it was man commanding machine rather than man and machine in harmony. DJ still sorely missed - I was trying to remember the quote that he became associated with about risking noting and achieving nothing - I'll try to look it up later.

The other was something that happened when the TAS bikes were in the Relentless livery .  I was again at the bottom of Bray Hill Thursday evening practice and the Superbikes were out and we were just waiting for the quick guys to come through on a fast second lap.  Anstey was coming through at an astonishing pace and as he flashed past us an headed up the hill I suddenly realised there were two bikes and that Cam Donald was nailed to the back of him only inches away from his tail but completely out of sight from my position coming down the hill - it was breathtaking.  Wish I could remember what year.

Cheers

Sam

basically you have the saying right 
those who risk nothing achieve nothing
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

proud to own and ride a british motorcycle  triumph daytona 675 Hehe
22-04-2020, 10:50 AM
Find Reply
Sam Pato Offline

Cheers Scaramanga.

I got round to looking it up. Apparently engraved on his headstone.

'Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing'

Kind of reminds me that the TT has given me some of the best days and some terrible ones too (but nothing on the scale that the families of some of those that have been lost must feel).

Sam
23-04-2020, 12:43 AM
Find Reply
dommyman Offline
Perennial Contributor

(22-04-2020, 08:47 AM)Alfie Noakes Wrote: ^Thanks DM for your efforts this year with the Countdown^ ....

Thanks and you're welcome Alfie
23-04-2020, 08:32 PM
Find Reply
easyasmith@yahoo.co.uk Offline

Threads: 0
Many happy memories over many years but first impressions stick uppermost in the mind. Arriving from Liverpool on a fine overnight sailing in 1974 as driver/mechanic/gopher to Alan Jones (125 and 250 entrant) in a crammed Thames van laden with a 125cc Maico, spares, tools etc. with a small space left for a 250 TZ Yamaha which was to be delivered brand new to the island by Dugdales.
Upon disembarking we laboured along the front and up Broadway to St Ninians crossroads just in time to see Paul Smart and Stan Woods scream through on the works RG 500 Suzukis in first morning practice - awesome! 
After signing on and following a tip from Tom Herron we made our way to Esplanade Mews, a little lane which runs behind the Central Promenade to beg workshop space in a Taxi garage run by the amiable Mr Cubbin who gave us a rent free slot on the understanding that we cut up and disposed of a Mk.4 Ford Zodiac that was lying rusting at the rear of the shop. A busy afternoon with the oxy/acet. cutter and a old Transit pick-up cleared us space. After all the hard work was done we were joined for the next two weeks by Clive Horton with his 125 Yamaha, Neil Tuxworth (with what seemed like very make an model of bright yellow racing Yamahas supplied by Henstocks) and the sidecar crews of Fred Cornbill/Gordon Tinkler and Trevor Youens with passenger Ray Moon. All the guys were were willing and able to help each other and made working days and nights a pleasure.
As an aside the workshop had a Villiers engined Go-Kart hanging on the wall, having been raced by Mr Cubbins son who had lost interest - during the course of the TT the Kart was fired up and run along the Prom hardly raising an eyebrow and even getting a wave past the traffic island by the cop in white helmet who directed traffic from his tub at the junction of the Prom at the bottom of Broadway just outside the Central Hotel/Bar.
We lodged at the excellent Ascot Braada Hotel owned and run by Mrs Sabey on Empire Terrace tucked in behind the Castle Mona. The guest list ran like a who's who of TT stars including Charlie Williams and Phil Carpenter who were both to lift winners laurels in race week.
Dugdales TT garage was just across the street from the Ascot Hotel and we picked up the new/unused 250 TZ still with Japanese air in the tyres - within hours the bike was stripped down and made TT ready, although the TZ's were over the counter racers, sage advice led to quite a few mods to tackle the mountain circuit - changes onto Dunlop Tyres/Ferodo brake linings/Renolds Chain were made at no charge, Alan had placed 5th in the 1974 Ultra Lighweight TT and the kudos resulted in welcome offers from 'The Trade'.
Long days in the workshop and wild nights in the bars meant both practice and race weeks passed in a flash, breaks were taken by riding the circuit on a ratty Triumph Speedtwin and pootling around Douglas on borrowed Bantam. My first foray down Bray Hill flat out on the Bantam (50 mph) led to a heartstopper when the front brake lever fulcrum bolt vibrated out and flew away just as a truck pulled out of the crossroads at the bottom (flew by his front bumper by millimetres).
Island curses resulted in DNF's whilst running strong on both the 125 and 250, so nothing more to do than join in the celebrations of both Charlie Williams and Phil Carpenter. All in all a magical first visit to the island which has drawn me back time and time again as a spectator/sponsor/parade rider etc etc.
Sorry to hear the TT is cancelled this year, I fear the Manx GP/Classic TT may not go ahead but having booked ferries/hotel one can only hope. If all goes well I will take up residence in the Empress Hotel and look forward to meeting both old and new friends on another Island Adventure
27-04-2020, 12:15 PM
Find Reply
Moderator2 Offline

Threads: 0
Excellent story, brought back a lot of memories of shared garages and late nights, and escapades on the roads for me too.
27-04-2020, 12:25 PM
Find Reply
laverda77 Offline

Threads: 9
(27-04-2020, 12:15 PM)easyasmith@yahoo.co.uk Wrote: Many happy memories over many years but first impressions stick uppermost in the mind. Arriving from Liverpool on a fine overnight sailing in 1974 as driver/mechanic/gopher to Alan Jones (125 and 250 entrant) in a crammed Thames van laden with a 125cc Maico, spares, tools etc. with a small space left for a 250 TZ Yamaha which was to be delivered brand new to the island by Dugdales.
Upon disembarking we laboured along the front and up Broadway to St Ninians crossroads just in time to see Paul Smart and Stan Woods scream through on the works RG 500 Suzukis in first morning practice - awesome! 
After signing on and following a tip from Tom Herron we made our way to Esplanade Mews, a little lane which runs behind the Central Promenade to beg workshop space in a Taxi garage run by the amiable Mr Cubbin who gave us a rent free slot on the understanding that we cut up and disposed of a Mk.4 Ford Zodiac that was lying rusting at the rear of the shop. A busy afternoon with the oxy/acet. cutter and a old Transit pick-up cleared us space. After all the hard work was done we were joined for the next two weeks by Clive Horton with his 125 Yamaha, Neil Tuxworth (with what seemed like very make an model of bright yellow racing Yamahas supplied by Henstocks) and the sidecar crews of Fred Cornbill/Gordon Tinkler and Trevor Youens with passenger Ray Moon. All the guys were were willing and able to help each other and made working days and nights a pleasure.
As an aside the workshop had a Villiers engined Go-Kart hanging on the wall, having been raced by Mr Cubbins son who had lost interest - during the course of the TT the Kart was fired up and run along the Prom hardly raising an eyebrow and even getting a wave past the traffic island by the cop in white helmet who directed traffic from his tub at the junction of the Prom at the bottom of Broadway just outside the Central Hotel/Bar.
We lodged at the excellent Ascot Braada Hotel owned and run by Mrs Sabey on Empire Terrace tucked in behind the Castle Mona. The guest list ran like a who's who of TT stars including Charlie Williams and Phil Carpenter who were both to lift winners laurels in race week.
Dugdales TT garage was just across the street from the Ascot Hotel and we picked up the new/unused 250 TZ still with Japanese air in the tyres - within hours the bike was stripped down and made TT ready, although the TZ's were over the counter racers, sage advice led to quite a few mods to tackle the mountain circuit - changes onto Dunlop Tyres/Ferodo brake linings/Renolds Chain were made at no charge, Alan had placed 5th in the 1974 Ultra Lighweight TT and the kudos resulted in welcome offers from 'The Trade'.
Long days in the workshop and wild nights in the bars meant both practice and race weeks passed in a flash, breaks were taken by riding the circuit on a ratty Triumph Speedtwin and pootling around Douglas on borrowed Bantam. My first foray down Bray Hill flat out on the Bantam (50 mph) led to a heartstopper when the front brake lever fulcrum bolt vibrated out and flew away just as a truck pulled out of the crossroads at the bottom (flew by his front bumper by millimetres).
Island curses resulted in DNF's whilst running strong on both the 125 and 250, so nothing more to do than join in the celebrations of both Charlie Williams and Phil Carpenter. All in all a magical first visit to the island which has drawn me back time and time again as a spectator/sponsor/parade rider etc etc.
Sorry to hear the TT is cancelled this year, I fear the Manx GP/Classic TT may not go ahead but having booked ferries/hotel one can only hope. If all goes well I will take up residence in the Empress Hotel and look forward to meeting both old and new friends on another Island Adventure

Really enjoyed this story and all the others.

Had a garage day myself today,trying to fit a carb upgrade to a Yamaha xt,listening to Manx radio on an old I pad,when news came through of Mgp cancellation came through,no suprise,so ive decided to send for a box of Manx kippers for friends and family.

now if only i could get some Okells beer.
(This post was last modified: 04-05-2020, 10:31 PM by Malcolm.)
04-05-2020, 10:07 PM
Find Reply
Yamaham Offline

Threads: 4
If you manage to get your hands on some Okells, Laverda, be sure to let us know how you managed it. I'm liking the idea of sitting in the garden with a kipper bap and an Okells bitter whilst Manx radio blasts out some old races!
05-05-2020, 11:48 AM
Find Reply
veefour Offline

Threads: 16
OK, here we go with a few of my TT memories. Some have been lost in the ageing grey matter, but there are some that seem as plain as yesterday. My first time was Friday 16th June 1967 with my late brother, a Motor Cycle News ! day trip for the Friday races. This entailed taking a train from Reading to London then another to Liverpool, it must have been a midnight ferry because i remember we had breakfast in a cafe on Douglas seafront, then went on a coach trip round the course. We then made our way to Bray Hill where we got a spot on the inside of the course near the bottom. The first race was the 50cc. The sight & sound of 24 screaming 50s in a mass start hurtling down the hill was unbelievable !! After it finished we made our way up to the start & sat on the wall on the inside just before the finish line. Here we witnessed the Hailwood / Agostini battle where Ago's chain broke & Mike won, I was hooked from then on.
I returned the following year for the week this time when we watched the Read / Ivy duel with little Bill doing the 100mph lap on the 125cc Yamaha & also Ago doing what was to become his famous leap. I also got sunburnt. On to 1972, this year i remember for  other reasons apart from the racing. Along with a couple of mates we made the 200 + miles journey to Liverpool in an old Bedford Van ( the one with sliding doors, that would not lock ! ) which i had bought for less than £50 ! & left it parked up somewhere near the docks. In the boarding house we stayed at worked a pretty young waitress. Well, one of lads fell for her hook line & sinker but it took until our last Friday evening for him to pluck up courage to ask her to come down the pub. They eventually got married & remain so to this day. And yes the Van made it back home again !!
Many years followed inc. 1975, 1976 & 1978 when of course Mike the Bike made his fantastic come back after 11 years.Then came several visits in the 1980s inc. marveling at the talents of Joey Dunlop . Camping at a muddy Glen Dhoo in 87. Going over in 1989 on my new VFR 750 when i had a chat to Stanley Woods watching the fireworks display on Douglas Beach. In 1992 i was sat on the bank at Rhencullen where i saw probably the best race ever when Steve Hislop won on the Norton. Due to work & other commitments i never returned to the IOM until 2007 for what was my last TT when John McGuiness won the Senior with a lap record of 130mph. Since then I've been over for the Southern 100  & also the 2013 Classic MGP. I still love every thing to do with the TT, the excitement gets to me every year & i get that same buzz listening to the radio broadcast's etc. one day I'll be back there again.
Grey-haired riders don't get that way from pure luck.
10-05-2020, 02:58 PM
Find Reply