Help with a decision please
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Threads: 39
Help with a decision please
As some of you may know, I've been running a photo website for a few years now.  I have no expectations of getting rich off it but basically just try to cover my costs of getting to meetings to provide media coverage for my local competitors.  It's up for renewal on Jan 10th but has reached a point where it doesn't cover the annual fee.

I got so de-motivated that I haven't finished uploading the TT & MGP stuff and I haven't even taken the slide/neg scanner I bought in 2020 out of it's box yet!

I've been switching between shutting it down and keeping it going and simply can't make my mind up.  So, what do you think?  I need to make decision quite soon. 

https://mikeyiendmotorsports.zenfolio.com/

Cheers guys...
28-12-2022, 01:57 PM
Website Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 124
RE: Help with a decision please
Hi Mike,

You should get thirty days after the renewal date before it gets closed down, main problem is not losing the domain name.

I've just been doing similar and shutting down the sites I have run for years without profit. The cost is just too high now, domain, hosting and SSL encryption being forced on us by browsers, breaks my heart! Several companies are doing one year cheap deals such as Ionos but that means moving sites and dns around.

My advice is to leave it until the last possible moment to give yourself more chance of a balanced opinion. If it was started as a business venture that is now losing money then I fear you already know the answer.
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
28-12-2022, 07:52 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
(28-12-2022, 01:57 PM)sticky Wrote: As some of you may know, I've been running a photo website for a few years now.  I have no expectations of getting rich off it but basically just try to cover my costs of getting to meetings to provide media coverage for my local competitors.  It's up for renewal on Jan 10th but has reached a point where it doesn't cover the annual fee.

I got so de-motivated that I haven't finished uploading the TT & MGP stuff and I haven't even taken the slide/neg scanner I bought in 2020 out of it's box yet!

I've been switching between shutting it down and keeping it going and simply can't make my mind up.  So, what do you think?  I need to make decision quite soon. 

https://mikeyiendmotorsports.zenfolio.com/

Cheers guys...

You've taken some smashing photos over the years, so I do hope you're not forced to close down. We live in difficult times.
29-12-2022, 11:18 AM
Find Reply
sprocket Offline

Threads: 7
I'm not sure if I can advise in any way sticky but all I will say is that life's too short to do stuff you no longer feel is enjoyable.
On the other hand if it's just a tough time you've gone through but the passion is still there deep down, then dig in and carry on.

There's no right or wrong, what ever you decide will be right for you.

Keep safe and I wish you (and everyone on the forum) a good 2023

Edit: just noticed the picture you posted of  Davey Todd, absolutely brilliant shot. Thank you for posting.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2023, 12:49 AM by sprocket.)
01-01-2023, 12:40 AM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Thanks for the input guys. The common sense thing would have been to shut it down but I've decided to give it a reprieve. TT practice week is now fully uploaded and I'll be adding the races soon, followed by the MGP. Went to a trial on Monday so 2023 is already underway
04-01-2023, 07:51 PM
Website Find Reply
sprocket Offline

Threads: 7
That's great news sticky.
Hang on in there, enjoy and very best wishes.
04-01-2023, 10:09 PM
Find Reply
Chris_Sav Offline
Administrator

Threads: 124
You have my admiration!
[Image: chris-quill-blue.gif]Laurel Bank II Marshal, Classic TT & Manx GP
05-01-2023, 11:32 AM
Find Reply
rutolander Offline
Three Star Member

Threads: 14
Wink  RE: Help with a decision please
a Up sticky just got one of your downloads thought was the best way of helping your site brilliant Pic of Davy Todd @ Gooseneck.
Let us know if there is any way that we can help publicise your site and don't stop clicking Icon_mrgreen
08-01-2023, 04:59 PM
Find Reply
sticky Offline
Perennial Contributor

Thank you so much for that - it's very much appreciated. If there's no objection to me posting updates on here about what I add to the site then that helps get the word out. If, like me, you hate the idea of going on (anti) social media then the options for exposure are now very limited. As i said before, I have no expectation of getting rich of this but it would be a big step forward if the site at least covered the renewal fee!

I'm half way through prepping the Superbike TT from last year, so I'll put a link up when it's done.
08-01-2023, 07:22 PM
Website Find Reply