TT World Series
V Twin Mechanic Offline

Threads: 4
RE: TT World Series
(23-01-2015, 08:39 PM)BenjiesDad Wrote: Think  badlyoverdrawnboy has hit the Nail right on the head,
Well thought out comments from him, and i do have to agree with him,
He has echoed my thoughts about the whole thing so much better than i could have dreamed off !

Well done that Man !

The DED do talk a load of nonsence, Why dont they just admit World series is just "day dreaming"
23-01-2015, 11:43 PM
Find Reply
desmophile Offline

Threads: 1
There's obviously no future for badlyoverdrawnboy in sports consultancy.

Not only has he managed to correctly summarise the situation in 8 paragraphs, which is going to be a bit hard to sell to even the DED as being worth 200k, he's come up with the wrong answer!
24-01-2015, 01:07 PM
Find Reply
Dougboy
Unregistered

I really can't see this taking off ( why will event organisers want - or even be able - to pay a fee to the TT organisers?).
However the 'volunteer' argument is a dead end, all kinds of major and very commercially successful sporting events rely on a steady and willing stream of unpaid help. Premiership football, The Open Championship, F1, MotoGP, even the Olympics depend on armies of volunteers.
24-01-2015, 10:14 PM
captainsparkledotcom Offline

Threads: 364
IMO it hinges on the question "is the 'TT brand' big enough now, & therefore seen as sufficiently lucrative, by the rest of the world"?
I guess we'll find out.
24-01-2015, 10:45 PM
Website Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

Threads: 2
(24-01-2015, 10:45 PM)captainsparkledotcom Wrote: IMO it hinges on the question "is the 'TT brand' big enough now, & therefore seen as sufficiently lucrative, by the rest of the world"?
I guess we'll find out.

I think I'm right on the volunteer point - premier football clubs pay their marshals, my mate is a F1 crowd steward and he gets a lump sum for exes, food vouchers, free camping and gets into an event which would cost him a couple of hundred quid, i knew some marshals who went out to the middle east rounds of F1 and got paid and well looked after. 

What non of them have to do is spend a couple of weeks up the mountain freezing wet and cold getting forgotten about in the dark while waiting  to watch subaru/VIP parade laps, eating rubbish overpriced food, beer from plastic glasses at London prices;  and then getting home to a bill for a grand and a nagging wife and kids who would rather have been in Benidorm. Non of them have the immediate danger of death/ serious injury or piles that a TT marshal is exposed to every session.

Yes things are much better under the new C.O.C who's greatest strength is probably his ability to keep people on-board, but who knows what might happen under the new regime - you could end up with Mr Nelson back and Marshal recruitment is a part of the new contract, I'm not sure people will be so tolerant if they know the higher-ups are being paid rather than being volunteers - remember "we're all in it together" is always the mantra of bosses in big organisations on 20 times the income of those at the sharp end. If the TTMA currently spend £X on recruitment etc then DED are going to have to give £XX an operator to do the same. Once you moneterize something that is currently free it has a value that people then want a share of.

Its the same nonsense that happened to the Manx - visitor numbers were rising about 10% a year but it wasn't making a sufficient return on investment = failure - DED hijacked it and undoubtedly must have spent more money and effort on it (but we'll never see a proper set of comparable figures) and hey-ho visitor numbers are up 10% = success. These PR types always then quote the worldwide media exposure value generated and come up with a £xxx million equivalent value of the publicity achieved but these are pure fantasy without a shred of proper evidence - a bit like newspaper readership figures which claim that every paper is read by 5 people - the only people that believe this tosh are media/PR insiders and nieive advertisers paying for it (ie the Manx Government) Try paying these people based on properly measurable targets and they don't want to know - I've tried it!
27-01-2015, 11:16 AM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
I wonder if closing down the other sites forum was a measure to avoid negative feedback on the proposal prior to putting it out to tender? It did happen very quickly
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
27-01-2015, 12:02 PM
Find Reply
warrior Offline

If anyone fancies hosting a round of the TT World Series I understand the hosting fee is to be a  mere £500.000, i'm sure there will be a long line of countries eager to sign up : )
(This post was last modified: 27-01-2015, 01:04 PM by warrior.)
27-01-2015, 01:03 PM
Find Reply
cookie77 Offline

Threads: 3
(27-01-2015, 12:02 PM)c iom tt Wrote: I wonder if closing down the other sites forum was a measure to avoid negative feedback on the proposal prior to putting it out to tender? It did happen very quickly

I'd say more to keep it inline with BSB and MOTOgp websites- neither has a message board/forum.

Probably looks a little bit amateur to potential suitors, especially when there a lot of people on it who can give arguments on why their little gem of a business opportunity has more holes in it than douglas dans proposed ferry racket.
27-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Find Reply
badlyoverdrawnboy Offline

(27-01-2015, 03:36 PM)cookie77 Wrote:
(27-01-2015, 12:02 PM)c iom tt Wrote: I wonder if closing down the other sites forum was a measure to avoid negative feedback on the proposal prior to putting it out to tender? It did happen very quickly

I'd say more to keep it inline with BSB and MOTOgp websites- neither has a message board/forum.

Probably looks a little bit amateur to potential suitors, especially when there a lot of people on it who can give arguments on why their little gem of a business opportunity has more holes in it than douglas dans proposed ferry racket.

I'm sorry, but desperate Dans ferry racket was probably one of the soundest business proposals to come out of the island certainly sounder than any of the other business projects the IOM gov has had 'invested in' recently just wait till they get going on a new link span agreement - as one of the few people in the world who has ever bothered to read the old one I'm obviously uniquely placed to be a consultant, now its just a question of how many noughts on the end of my fee.
27-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
(24-01-2015, 10:45 PM)captainsparkledotcom Wrote: IMO it hinges on the question "is the 'TT brand' big enough now, & therefore seen as sufficiently lucrative, by the rest of the world"?
I guess we'll find out.

Words of wisdom from a Tractor rider  , who would have thought it , take a bow that man , 

what I worry about is what happens if the entrepreneur that takes over and then finds he is not getting a sufficient return  on his money and decides to pull out , what then ?? he has the rights to it and the IOM will have no say in it any more , with the result they will have killed the Goose that lays the Golden Egg , out of pure greed trying to get the poor old Goose to lay Eggs it could just not produce , 

27-01-2015, 04:41 PM
Find Reply
serowmaster Offline

Threads: 4
we are living in exiting times as far as the TT and the MANX GP are concerned Crossfingers

GETTING OLD IS MANDATORY FEELING OLD IS OPTIONAL smilie
27-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Find Reply
Dougboy
Unregistered

(27-01-2015, 04:41 PM)Steady the Edward Wrote:
I guess we'll find out.

Words of wisdom from a Tractor rider  , who would have thought it , take a bow that man , 

what I worry about is what happens if the entrepreneur that takes over and then finds he is not getting a sufficient return  on his money and decides to pull out , what then ?? he has the rights to it and the IOM will have no say in it any more , with the result they will have killed the Goose that lays the Golden Egg , out of pure greed trying to get the poor old Goose to lay Eggs it could just not produce , 

Eddie you're such a pessimist. They'll have a well thought out and rigorous fallback plan! ;-)
(Not that I think they'll ever need it mind)
27-01-2015, 05:26 PM
tr2ble Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
In todays  local paper it says " The idea is to have a profit share with the organiser of each event around the world". I would think a decent  accountant would be able to make sure that no profit was made, or even ran at a loss, then where would the DED be .
27-01-2015, 05:32 PM
Find Reply
Steady the Edward Offline

Threads: 43
I so wish I had your faith in ineptitude , Dougboy
27-01-2015, 05:39 PM
Find Reply
Kursaal Flyer Offline

Threads: 37
(27-01-2015, 04:25 PM)badlyoverdrawnboy Wrote:
(27-01-2015, 03:36 PM)cookie77 Wrote:

I'm sorry, but desperate Dans ferry racket was probably one of the soundest business proposals to come out of the island certainly sounder than any of the other business projects the IOM gov has had 'invested in' recently just wait till they get going on a new link span agreement - as one of the few people in the world who has ever bothered to read the old one I'm obviously uniquely placed to be a consultant, now its just a question of how many noughts on the end of my fee.

This is to easy even for a non accountant put as many noughts as you want on your fee as long as your fee starts with nought and finishes with a nought Icon_biggrin
Old enough to know better, young enough to have given it a go ! Icon_cool
27-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Website Find Reply
numptydad Offline

Threads: 6
(23-01-2015, 08:39 PM)BenjiesDad Wrote: Think  badlyoverdrawnboy has hit the Nail right on the head,
Well thought out comments from him, and i do have to agree with him,
He has echoed my thoughts about the whole thing so much better than i could have dreamed off !

Well done that Man !

same here,  when the changes to the Manx were first announced, i wrote to the MMCC expressing my alarm, and many of my concerns have been aired here, including of  that so and so Ecclestone.

TTWS is a daft idea, let's face it, but the Manx Mafia will go right ahead- do they have elections there?  Still, if they did, just like here, no matter who you vote for, the Government always gets in.
27-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Find Reply