What if?
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
What if?
Firstly, I think I speak for everyone on here, THANK YOU Malcolm for allowing us to continue with "our" forum. Great news.

Anyway, I was chatting to Hutchy today. Goodness what a difference his IOM success has done for him. He sounded so chipper, and full of enthusiasm. I am so chuffed for him. And he's having a bit of a break on the bikes to get his breath back, a well deserved rest I say.
After the call, I started wondering just how many wins Hutchy would have had if he hadn't been injured.
It's always hypothetical, like how many would Mike Hailwood have won if he hadn't been away for 11 years, and if DJ hadn't lost his life etc etc.
But anyway, he's up to 11 now, his confidence is sky high, I am sure he will get decent bikes now that teams will believe in him. Who's to say that he won't achieve a lot more wins?
20-06-2015, 07:49 PM
Find Reply
Raynetjr Offline

Threads: 6
RE: What if?
I don't know- he should go well but so many things can happen and not being able to tell who's going to win is part of the magic of the TT for me!

Who would've thought Mickey D wouldn't have a win this year? I've just watched closer to the edge again and jm130 had just had his worse (results wise) TT for years - he's now got another 8 or so wins and I don't know how many people predicted Hutchy's 5 that year (before the races that is).

For another what if: what if Robert Dunlop's wheel hadn't given way? Woulld he have won a bucket load of TTs - would he have taken some of Joey's 26 (meaning John would have already beaten the record and may have retired)? This might be a long thread😀!
20-06-2015, 09:26 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
Racing is full of if's and buts and I also wonder what the outcome would have been if Michael Dunlop did not have his problems this year, having said that what a superb performance by Hutchy, and well deserved ,   I think Honda have their problems with no rider capable of winning in every class,  Hutchy is and if I was Neil Tuxworth I would have him signed up already for next year along with Dunlop.
(This post was last modified: 20-06-2015, 09:50 PM by spannerman.)
20-06-2015, 09:38 PM
Find Reply
c iom tt Offline

Threads: 16
It was great to see Hutchy back where he belongs.
If he gets decent bikes next year, he is going to be hard to beat.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want something bad enough, you'll find a way. If you don't, you'll find an excuse
20-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Find Reply
Andy from Kazakhstan Offline

Threads: 4
(20-06-2015, 09:38 PM)spannerman Wrote: Racing is full of if's and buts and I also wonder what the outcome would have been if Michael Dunlop did not have his problems this year, having said that what a superb performance by Hutchy, and well deserved ,   I think Honda have their problems with no rider capable of winning in every class,  Hutchy is and if I was Neil Tuxworth I would have him signed up already for next year along with Dunlop.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I have been known to be but I didn't think that Honda ran a bike in the Supersport or Supertwin classes, so I'm a little mystified how you think that their current riders aren't capable of winning the races that they enter.

Perhaps just another dig????????
20-06-2015, 10:01 PM
Find Reply
Splashdown Offline

Threads: 32
Hi Bill

So you'd have Hutchy and M.D.  and no JM130?

Raynet, my personal opinion is that Robert D would not have won many more TTs. Lovely bloke, great rider, but I just don't think there would have been many more wins, apart from 125 class.
Just my opinion, don't want to be controversial!
20-06-2015, 10:02 PM
Find Reply
Ken37.73 Offline

Threads: 1
Someone could do with changing the record with the McPint put downs.

As for the question I reckon JM and MD would have had a fair say in a fit Hutchys results from 2011-2014 as there was no hope of the R1 winning a race so maybe 2/6 super sport wins would be realistic. As for next year there didn't seem much wrong with Ian's gear this TT so maybe he could a lot worse than stay put.
20-06-2015, 11:02 PM
Find Reply
Ackerman Offline

Threads: 2
What if MD hadn't ditched BMW? What if MD hadn't crashed out? What if.....the moon were made of cheese? Hutchy won better this year than 2010 that's for sure, but nobody knows the answers to the what if. What is certain is that 2016 looks more competitive than ever. JM130, MD, Hillier, Hutchy, Bruce, Hickman and then a gaggle of riders with surnames beginning with John (Gary, Lee, David)... Third tier looking like two locals heading up the pack with Dan Kneen and Conor, depending on rides they'll secure. That's maybe 8/9 riders properly competing for the three steps. And then maybe throw in the joker in the pack, law of averages has him winning one day, and he's getting quicker?! Add to that that they'll all be gunning for Hutchy next time! These are golden years for TT. 50 weeks to go.....
20-06-2015, 11:43 PM
Find Reply
spannerman Offline

Threads: 28
(20-06-2015, 10:02 PM)Splashdown Wrote: Hi Bill

Raynet, my personal opinion is that Robert D would not have won many more TTs. Lovely bloke, great rider, but I just don't think there would have been many more wins, apart from 125 class.

Hi Nick,  No, I would most certainly not replace JM130 I would just include the other two riders to. ensure results in the other classes as well as ensuring that Honda take a 1st 2nd and 3rd in the Senior, and superbike races, I've got this feeling MD will be back with Honda next year. and for the opportunist stirrers on here there is no dig at anyone.
(This post was last modified: 21-06-2015, 12:26 AM by spannerman.)
21-06-2015, 12:19 AM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

We had this debate in the pub on Friday after the race, and came up with a guess of 5-7 wins the only real hold back may have been the R1 but still think he could of won an average of one win a year. It was truly great to see hutchy back, reminded me of the Robert Dunlop come back just to ride a bike again is unreal let alone be competitive and to win wow it's something els. I met hutchy at a road race in Wales he took DJ's V and M bike on a parade lap and was limping at the time and he was a true gent and had a lot of time for everyone, so to see the progress he's made from then till now must have taken some doing hats off.
21-06-2015, 12:57 AM
Find Reply
Raynetjr Offline

Hi Splashdown - no problems at all - that's the thing with these sort of chats: we all have an opinion and everyone's in the same boat as they will never know if they're right or not. (Although I'd suggest that your opinion is worth more than mine  Icon_lol )

Of course, sticking to 125s the question would still stand - would a 'fully fit' Robert have taken any of Joey's 125 (or even 250) wins? I don't know, but it's interesting to think about it.

Of course, as the last TT has shown us, being 'fully fit' is never a given in this game...  Just shows how much 'fun' you can have with 'ifs and buts' and why bookies always win in the end😀!

Cheers all!

Raynet jr.

P.s. Good luck to all at Kells today
21-06-2015, 07:08 AM
Find Reply
Andy from Kazakhstan Offline

(21-06-2015, 12:19 AM)spannerman Wrote: Nick, with lot's of members on here who race in the TT,  up until now it is disappointing that you are the only rider to show gratitude towards the marshals, dear oh dear.

and for the opportunist stirrers on here there is no dig at anyone.

Classic  Icon_lol  Icon_lol  Icon_lol
21-06-2015, 05:53 PM
Find Reply
tigerted Offline

(21-06-2015, 05:53 PM)Andy from Kazakhstan Wrote: Classic  Icon_lol  Icon_lol  Icon_lol

Spannerman continuing on your what if theme I would say what if Steve Mercer was given even more support than Richie and the boys gave him this year. What he achieved with limited funding was certainly an achievement and that also goes for the other riders that competed that also had limited funding a well.
21-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Find Reply
cregnybaa Offline

Threads: 9

There have been lots of people i have spoken to over the years that have said that had Robert not had that accident he would have been more successful than Joey.
21-06-2015, 08:08 PM
Find Reply
DBD 34 Offline

Threads: 20
(21-06-2015, 08:08 PM)cregnybaa Wrote: There have been lots of people i have spoken to over the years that have said that had Robert not had that accident he would have been more successful than Joey.

Nah not a chance.
21-06-2015, 08:30 PM
Find Reply
Superbike Offline

If Robert Dunlop had stayed fully fit surely he'd have nicked one or two wins off Joey but to have been more successful that I'm really not sure about like they say if if's and buts were whiskey and nuts we'd all have a good Christmas 😜
22-06-2015, 12:53 AM
Find Reply
Dougboy
Unregistered

Just to add a new 'What if', I believe that if Steve Plater had continued at the TT, he would have been giving everyone, a very difficult time - in all classes.
Great to see Hutchy back and winning, absolutely chuffed for him. It's interesting  that 2 riders, Hutchy and MD, can have such hugely different characters and personas and yet the fire burns equally strongly in both of them.
22-06-2015, 09:57 AM
Revvin rich Offline

Threads: 70
What about John Surtees retired from bikes at the age of 26  with 6 TT with MV agusta,with gilera and moto guzzi pulling out he could have rattled up a few more wins but he went to f1 and the rest is history!
22-06-2015, 11:02 AM
Find Reply
Ken37.73 Offline

(22-06-2015, 09:57 AM)Dougboy Wrote: Just to add a new 'What if', I believe that if Steve Plater had continued at the TT, he would have been giving everyone, a very difficult time - in all classes.
Great to see Hutchy back and winning, absolutely chuffed for him. It's interesting  that 2 riders, Hutchy and MD, can have such hugely different characters and personas and yet the fire burns equally strongly in both of them.

I reckon they're not that different to each other on the bike .......
22-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Find Reply
Promor Offline

Another point about Hutchy, is if he hadn't been injured, would Padgetts / Honda have offered him a deal to continue with them for 2011 ?
22-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Website Find Reply