Have you got any info on this bike ?
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
Have you got any info on this bike ?
Here is a very special bike that was built as a one off by the father of TTfan Ian Huntly, whilst Ian was still a nipper.

Ian recently found this photograph of the bike and it brought back many memories for him, however there are some gaps that he is looking for help upon, in order to complete his history of the machine.

[Image: ianhuntleybsa.jpg]

Ian said:

My father built this BSA Special when I was at school and I found this pic while I was rummaging through my collection in the loft.

My Dad raced BSAs on grass and shale before WW 2 and did a lot of research on a variety of machines for BSA.

This one he had licensed and it was given the plate NPT 407 so he could ride it on the road.

I am trying to find out from the pic, just what model it is or what has gone into the development of this machine. It was used as a trials machine later in the day and Dad had some success before selling it to a top trials man of the day in the late 50s.

I hope someone out there could help me in this especially since BSA are celebrating 100 years. Any ideas please.

I believe the front forks were special ones.
11-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Website Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
RE: Have you got any info on this bike ?
It;s what the boys would call a 'cobby' machine!
Can I suggest that Pat Slinn may know someone who could assist, both him and his father worked for the BSA.
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2010, 10:16 PM by Bill Snelling.)
11-12-2010, 10:15 PM
Website Find Reply
charlie prescott Offline
Just Getting Started

Threads: 0
Hi Guy's
Hi Ian,
I have been asked by Pat Slinn to do a bit of reserch,into the bike your father built.
I know it may sound stupid to you but what was your fathers first name.
Pat and I are reserch into anything to do with the BSA Comp department, so you may have found the right two people. We will see what we can do.
The front forks to me keeps saying Velocette? I know I have seen some like this before. Good line to throw us, over this time of the year.

Regards Charlie.
14-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Find Reply
Bill Snelling Offline

Threads: 147
(14-12-2010, 04:56 PM)charlie prescott Wrote: The front forks to me keeps saying Velocette?

The front forks look like Dowty pneumatic forks, as fitted to Panthers and the Velo MOV, MAC, MSS and KSS, hope he fitted aftermarket springs, if a seal leaks it gives a very deflating feeling!
I'm on the Great Flapjack Foray of Life - can't you tell!
“You don’t stop riding because you get old. You get old because you stop riding”
15-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Website Find Reply
ian huntly Offline
Ian TTFan Huntly

Threads: 394
My Dad was Harry Huntly of Chester-le-Street who rode in most motorcycling disciplines but his major successes came in the early days of Speedway, riding for Newcastle and Gosforth (he was, and I believe, still is, the tallest ever knee trailing Speedway rider) and also he rode in scrambles and trials winning many events. I have books of press cuttings, programmes and a box full of trophys and cups.

He raced against Alan Jefferies (Nicks Dad) on more than one occasion.

Dad attended the TT from 1924 to 1961 missing the "WAR" years so he passed his love of TT and the Isle of Man on to me. I took him over again in 1974, 1978 and 1979 the latter two years so he could see the return of Mike Hailwood.

Dad did some experimental work for BSA during the time he raced in the 20s and 30s and also post-war, and I think he tried a variety of forks, Enfield is mentioned in his notes...........

He was an AMIMI having joined the IMI when it was in its very early stages.
I am now a MIMI of which I am proud, having learnt from Dad that excellence counts ! Dad died in 1995 aged 88.

I spend more and more time going through my collection these days....I find something of interest every time I climb into the loft...

The pictures below are both of Dads bikes, he won the "Golden Helmet" two or three times in the early 30s

My next manufacturer submission will be a picture of the Douglas he raced in the 50s!!
Crazydance

In 2015 I celebrate 68 years as a devoted TTFan

Bookingfor 2016 !!
(This post was last modified: 18-12-2010, 07:28 PM by ian huntly.)
16-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

More from the Ian Huntly Archive

This One is of the "Golden Helmet" winning BSA with the helmet on the tank.

Any ideas on the year this could have been taken and any other info that I could use ?

[Image: bsa1.jpg]

This one is of my Dad in a strange helmet and ringed shirt on another BSA of a different capacity to the above.
Again any info on what year or further info that could be of help ?

[Image: bsa3.jpg]
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
(This post was last modified: 17-12-2010, 08:20 PM by Malcolm.)
17-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Website Find Reply
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

And Even More

[Image: dougy2.jpg]
A very special Douglas Special

It was a special indeed with a lot of major engine work and extras including the gearbox, very special pushrods, a dad-designed oil system and adapted forks.

Dad experimented with it for a while, didn't race it but sold it to a local sidecar racer who added a chair and had great success on sand and on track.

Can anyone assist in providing information on the history of this bike after it left out possession.
30-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Website Find Reply