LEGENDARY RIDERS AND ICONIC MACHINES ALREADY CONFIRMED FOR TT2011 PARADE LAP
Malcolm Offline
Administrator

Threads: 18,390
LEGENDARY RIDERS AND ICONIC MACHINES ALREADY CONFIRMED FOR TT2011 PARADE LAP
[Image: ttnewlogo.gif]
LEGENDARY RIDERS AND ICONIC MACHINES ALREADY CONFIRMED FOR TT2011 MILESTONES OF THE MOUNTAIN PARADE LAP

Many of the riders and machines have already been confirmed for the 2011 TT ‘Milestones of the Mountain’ Parade lap to celebrate the centenary of racing around the iconic Isle of Man TT Mountain Course.

The parade, which takes place on Senior Race day, Friday 10th June, will feature twenty-six of the most important events, riders and moments in a hundred years of racing.

Appropriately a genuine replica of the American built Indian machine that Oliver Godfrey rode in the first Senior TT Race across the mountain has been sourced and will be the first bike away. The bike will be ridden by Dave Roper who was and only American to win a TT until Mark Miller emulated his feat in this year’s TT Zero clean emissions bike race.

One of the all time TT greats, Stanley Woods, will be represented by former MGP rider Ivan Rhodes, who will be riding a genuine 350cc works Velocette, which he owns. Stanley originally rode the bike in the 1948 Junior TT and 1949 World championship.

Geoff Duke, the 6 time TT Winner and 6 time World Champion will be represented by his son Peter, who will appropriately be riding a Manx Norton, the marque that Geoff rode to five TT victories in the fifties.

[Image: mountainlap1.jpg]

One of the greatest names in TT history, Honda, who were the first Japanese manufacturer to contest the event, and who have since gone on to win 155 times, will be represented by former world champion and TT winner Luigi Taveri, who will be riding a 1964 Honda RC161.

One of Yamaha’s most successful riders, Phil Read, the 8 times TT winner and 8 times World Champion, will be riding the factory 4 cylinder two-stroke 250cc Yamaha that he raced successfully in the 1968 TT and world championship.

Sidecar legend Jock Taylor, a 4 times TT winner who achieved a podium on his debut, will be represented by Steve Webster, MBE, the 10 time FIM World Champion. Steve will be riding one of Jock’s old TT winning machines.

The Senior TT winning Honda RC30 from 1988 will be ridden by Gary Dunlop who will be representing his father, the 5 time World Champion Joey. The Northern Ireland racer first competed on the Isle of Man in 1976 and his record of 26 victories leaves him as the most successful TT rider of all time.

[Image: mountainlap2.jpg]

Scotsman Steve Hislop, who was the first rider to lap at over 120mph and took part in what is widely acknowledged as one of the all time great races against Carl Fogarty – the 1992 Senior TT - will be represented twice in the parade by close friends Steve Plater and Stuart Easton. Steve, who has two TT victories to his name and is the current Senior TT Race Record holder, will be riding a replica RC30 to represent Steve's achievement as the first rider to lap at more than 120mph in 1989, whilst current BSB star and TT hopeful Stuart Easton will ride the ABUS 588cc rotary Norton from the epic 1992 Senior Race.

[Image: mountainlap3.jpg]

Northern Ireland’s Philip McCallen, the first rider to win 4 races in one week, will be riding a Honda RC45. Phil, who won 11 TT’s in a career that ran from 1989 to 1999, will be on the starting grid with the man that broke his record, Ian Hutchinson, who will be riding his history making Padgett’s Honda Superbike.

Nine-time TT winner David Jefferies will be represented by his uncle Nick, who will be riding the V&M Racing Yamaha R1 that ‘DJ’ raced in his 1999 campaign.

His great friend and rival John McGuinness, who has dominated the TT leader board with 15 victories since his first victory in 1999, will be bringing his 2007 Honda Superbike, on which he became the first man to break the 130mph lap for the 37¾ mile course.

All photographs by Fottofinders who have an extensive archive of other TT images spanning 1948 to the present day - visit http://www.fottofinders.com
Be right back. I am going to go find myself, and if I leave before I get back, make sure to tell me !! -
15-12-2010, 12:16 AM
Website Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
RE: LEGENDARY RIDERS AND ICONIC MACHINES ALREADY CONFIRMED FOR TT2011 PARADE LAP
Appropriately a genuine replica of the American built Indian machine that Oliver Godfrey rode in the first Senior TT Race across the mountain has been sourced and will be the first bike away. The bike will be ridden by Dave Roper who was and only American to win a TT until Mark Miller emulated his feat in this year’s TT Zero clean emissions bike race.

A "genuine replica" eh?

And just what would that be??

Dodgy
15-12-2010, 01:33 PM
Find Reply
Gstarron Offline

Threads: 36
RE: LEGENDARY RIDERS AND ICONIC MACHINES ALREADY CONFIRMED FOR TT2011 PARADE LAP
Is there an update on the bikes and the riders list..?? Or did I miss it somewhere..??
Thanks,

Ron - The TT is now.. and soon the MGP..!!

(15-12-2010, 01:33 PM)larryd Wrote: Appropriately a genuine replica of the American built Indian machine that Oliver Godfrey rode in the first Senior TT Race across the mountain has been sourced and will be the first bike away. The bike will be ridden by Dave Roper who was and only American to win a TT until Mark Miller emulated his feat in this year’s TT Zero clean emissions bike race.

A "genuine replica" eh?

And just what would that be??

Dodgy
31-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
Larry, never mind the 'genuine replica', I bet Stanley Woods would have been surprised to see his 1948 TT machine - didn't he last race the TT in 1939?
31-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Find Reply
larryd Offline

Threads: 11
(31-05-2011, 11:26 PM)Jo Rowe Wrote: Larry, never mind the 'genuine replica', I bet Stanley Woods would have been surprised to see his 1948 TT machine - didn't he last race the TT in 1939?

Nice one Jo - I missed that !

Doesn't surprise me though . . . . . . .
01-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Find Reply
John Foster Offline

Threads: 63
[Image: 20090818pedantic-red-717016.png]
02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Find Reply
Jo Rowe Offline

Threads: 18
LOL! Got the message, John.
02-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Find Reply